Nikon 1 Series - show us your shots

None too shabby Trevor. There's life in these 'beasts' yet :)

Hi Trevor,

Great news about the Lens, take it was a Bought New purchase.

Reason I have not posted images is that I find it slightly top heavy on a J5 so really a tripod job.

Keep on looking at the V3 for this lens but waiting to see if Nikon release a V4 as it would have a better sensor, and maybe a built EVF.

NICE detailed image by the way.

Regards.

Hi Trevor,

Great news about the Lens, take it was a Bought New purchase.

Reason I have not posted images is that I find it slightly top heavy on a J5 so really a tripod job.

Keep on looking at the V3 for this lens but waiting to see if Nikon release a V4 as it would have a better sensor, and maybe a built EVF.

NICE detailed image by the way.

Regards.

Thanks. Actually found a good used one on the bay. Came with the tripod mount. Couple hundred less than new.

Some fantastic shots in here, really jealous lol!

I'm going on holiday in about 3 weeks and I've been looking at some cameras that are handy for travel - I don't really want to take my D3S + lenses. So looking for something more compact.

I've boiled it down to a Nikon V2 but as I can't seem to get hold of anyone for the last couple of days, I've been looking at the Nikon 1 J5. How are these compared to the V2?

Ideally, I wanted the V2 for its viewfinder as I don't like the idea of looking at the LCD to take a photo.

Can anyone recommend a J5 over a V2 or alternative?

Many thanks,
Wez

It's a dilemma, the J5 sensor is a lot better but no EVF. The V2 has EVF and external control but the V1 has better IQ than V2. A J5 sensor in V2 would be a nice walk around camera.

It's a dilemma, the J5 sensor is a lot better but no EVF. The V2 has EVF and external control but the V1 has better IQ than V2. A J5 sensor in V2 would be a nice walk around camera.
It sounds like they just haven't decided what they want to put in these. Wouldn't it be nice if they just put it all in one and had the best bit of all of them and actually nailed a mirrorless system.

They would actually have a good mirrorless system if they produced a V2 with the J5 sensor. Compact, lightweight, fast and supported by some good lenses. Look at the level the RX100 has reached, that IQ with an interchangeable lens and controls to suit novice or enthusiastic user.

V1 has better IQ than V2..
I dont think so I have both, and the V2 is better.
been looking at the J5 for many months but dont think i could get on without a viewfinder, such a shame they left this out of this camera.
it would be a great set -up , the good thing with the viewfinder is that you can preview the shots that you have taken and check for sharpness
even in strong sunlight, which you would never be able too on the j5.
the V3 is a better alternative , but holds its price, which i think is a bit much....
can only hope they will bring out a new one that will satisfy.
I use my V2 almost everyday, and grab this camera before my D7200
because the reach is fantastic.
these were taken today in very bad light iso 560 on a nikon 300mm f4

DSC_6475_5035.JPG
DSC_6463_5026.JPG
DSC_6505_5062.JPG

been looking at the J5 for many months but dont think i could get on without a viewfinder, such a shame they left this out of this camera.
it would be a great set -up , the good thing with the viewfinder is that you can preview the shots that you have taken and check for sharpness
even in strong sunlight, which you would never be able too on the j5.
the V3 is a better alternative , but holds its price, which i think is a bit much....
can only hope they will bring out a new one that will satisfy.
I use my V2 almost everyday, and grab this camera before my D7200
because the reach is fantastic.
these were taken today in very bad light iso 560 on a nikon 300mm f4

View attachment 111733
View attachment 111734
View attachment 111735

Thank you Mark, because of this post, it's made my mind up for a V2. Will keep my eye out. It'll be a nice lightweight additions to my 2 D3S's, giving me some much needed reach! :) Will eventually get the mount adapter so that I can use my 300 2.8 with it (y)

Might be poor light but I love that Dunnock pic!

Just been fitting my 100-400 on the V2 to use today and saw this thread had been brought back to life.

Thank you Mark, because of this post, it's made my mind up for a V2. Will keep my eye out. It'll be a nice lightweight additions to my 2 D3S's, giving me some much needed reach! :) Will eventually get the mount adapter so that I can use my 300 2.8 with it (y)

Might be poor light but I love that Dunnock pic!
I also use mine on the 500mm nikon f4 and it does work very good on the sigma 150-600 which i sold, but regretted it .
its also fantastic for macro, you get a deeper depth of field, wide open ,without the need to step down.
DSC_5251_2823.JPG
DSC_5323_2953.JPG
DSC_6247_4811.JPG

Nikon want shooting for dropping this series, the never seen DL would have been nice with a CX mount.

I had both, and whilst I agree the V2 is a better around camera, the V1 (due to slightly larger size in individual light collection cells) has a bit more dynamic range. Colour and grain is very similar. Also have to agree that the lack of a view finder is the off putting element of the J5.

I am still using the V1 I would like to add a V2 to my set up.

V1 with the 70-300CX is an amazing lightweight combo.

I had both, and whilst I agree the V2 is a better around camera, the V1 (due to slightly larger size in individual light collection cells) has a bit more dynamic range. Colour and grain is very similar. Also have to agree that the lack of a view finder is the off putting element of the J5.
must dig mine back out and give it another try.:)
there doesn't seem to be many V3s about. I still wouldn't mind one at the right price.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting more shots, it really is appreciated! (y)

Managed to find a second-hand, as new, V2 today so bought that along with a 10-30 kit lens. Then bought a second-hand 30-110 lens, so hopefully should be all set for my holiday :)

must dig mine back out and give it another try.:)
there doesn't seem to be many V3s about. I still wouldn't mind one at the right price.

Whilst the V3 might be newer and better access to controls, the increase in pixel count without an increase to the sensor size, and no inclusion of BSI technology, to me means the dynamic range is again decreased. Okay you get more fine detail, with the higher resolution, but as I do not print large I prefer the lower resolutions detail throughout the lighting range. I also think the cost of the V3 is not worth it, what with the EVF being additional on top.

Go my 30-110 lens through this morning, so went for a walk, with it, after lunch down to the local pond.

Typically, the Osprey was fishing really close to me today, sod's law meant that I'd left the D3S and my primes at home! :mad:

But I got a couple of snaps with the V2 and aforementioned lens.

I can't wait to get an FT1 adapter for it tbh.

One question : Is the adapter compatible with TC's also? It'd be nice if I could put my 300mm 2.8 on my 2x tc and have it work without any problems?

Thanks,
Wez

DSC_2222.jpg
DSC_2232.jpg

FT1 should work with the Nikon TC but only gives you center point focusing.

My V2 will focus fairly well with a F9 lens so you will be well in.

Just looking at the list of compatible lenses, before I pull the trigger on the FT-1 adapter, and the lenses that I would use it on aren't listed.

Does anyone use the AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR (version 1) with their FT-1 adapter? I also have the Tamron 70-200 2.8 that I'd use too. But don't want to buy it if it's not compatible with these 2 lenses (obviously lol).

For reference, these are the supposed compatible lenses:

AF-S DX NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 12-24mm f/4G IF-ED
AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED
AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
AF-S Zoom-NIKKOR 17-35mm f/2.8D IF-ED
AF Zoom-NIKKOR 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II
AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR