Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

I'm tempted to move on from the j1 to a v1

Apart from the viewfinder is it worth the move?

I already have the 10-30 and 30-110

The V1 has a much bigger buffer so continuous shooting rate is astonishingly good - especially with the electronic shutter where it will do 10 frames per second with ease.

This is really useful not only for action shots but also group events where you can easily shoot off lots of shots and later choose the best one.

I also much prefer the build quality and handling of the camera - it feels extremely solid

I'm tempted to move on from the j1 to a v1

Apart from the viewfinder is it worth the move?

I already have the 10-30 and 30-110

Do you miss a viewfinder when you use the J1? Or need the higher flash sync? Or do you prefer the small size of the J1.

Ultimately it's how you answer the questions that makes up your mind, I wouldn't expect any change in picture quality though.

I was going to join the J1 owners club this weekend, I rang Jessops in Blackpool yesterday at about 15:30 and asked if they had any twin lens J1's in stock, they said 1 boxed and 1 on display, I asked for the boxed 1 to be kept for me as I would collect today (Saturday). I turned up at Jessops this morning at 09:30 only to be told they couldn't sell it to me as they had a phone call at 16:00 on Friday telling them to stop trading as the store had gone into administration.

So I'm now looking for a twin lens kit with a price to match Jessops £269.00 if anyone know of a kit at that price give me a PM please,
Billy

Grabbed one of these a few weeks ago, the V1 with kit lens is a steal at the current price. They are a bit limited with the number of buttons to the rear and getting the settings done a bit fiddly, but the sensor, picture quality, continuous shutter speed and auto focus more than make up for those short comings! Looking forward to receiving my FT-1 adaptor so play with some fast glass. Here's a shot I grabbed from the Scottish Borders, scotch mist - proof of existence!

mist_zpsdf524973.jpg

(sorry for quality, facebook compression is very poor!)

Mine turned up yesterday from iBood (£200) - just too much of a bargain to ignore.

Have the ft-1 which I bought from Amazon shortly after placing my iBood order, and from tests last night it looked great both with the supplied 10-30mm and the ft-1 and 50mm f1.4 which I bolted on.

Moving from the DSLR Nikons does make it a little limited in direct buttons and focal points but for the purposes I bought it then if I need those I simply get the big body out of the bag. Mine is for discreet use, and for taking advantage of that 2.7x factor with my telephotos.

Might take it out tomorrow for some fun in the snow if it makes it into South Hampshire....

I haven't seen it mentioned on the forum yet, but it looks like the 1 Series is doing well for Nikon, 2 more new bodies and 2 new lenses announced.

Nikon have announced the S1 and J3 and a proper wide angle 6.7–13mm f/3.5–5.6 (equivalent 18–35mm) and a new cheaper 10-100mm.

I'm looking forward in seeing the new 10-100mm lens, will be great for my up and coming traveling in a couple of months.

Hi
Just ordered a Nikon V1 I am hoping this is going to be the best camera for its main use of taking stills and the occasional video of RC model gliders and some of the stunning scenery we get to fly them from. I am very much in the learning stage for everything in digital photography especially the editing side. With that in mind can anyone tell me if Lightroom 3.6 can store RAW files from the V1? On the blurb it mentions that it has been updated to except the J1 RAW files I am assuming that J1 files and V1 files will be the same.

Roger

Hello.

I was just wondering if any firmware has come out or is due to come out so you can turn of the auto review on the V1?

I would like to try one of these as they are now available at a very good price,
but with the preview i believe it shows in the viewfinder,i think i would find that irritating if was trying to compose my next shot quickly, but i may be wrong as never tried it yet.

Has anyone tried outdoor daylight sports shots with the ft1 and a long lens with any success? Is the focus speed still as quick

Regards Paul.

The latest firmware Nikon 1 V1 Firmware Update 1.21 has not addressed this really annoying bug. You can still only have the center focus point and still no support for AFC focusing. :bang:

With all its faults its still a good camera.

The camera is able to catch a bird in flight so it should have no problem picking out a much bigger target. Focus speed is very good.

70-200mm VR

011112_7781.jpg

011112_7790.jpg

011112_7775.jpg

300mm 2.8 AFS

080312_3893.jpg

Last edited:
My FT-1 mount arrived after I sold my J1, I've now just got another J1 bit I think I've got myself the wrong camera, I should have got a V1 as I've tried the FT-1 with the J1 it works fine but putting my 70-300mm on the J1 and trying to hold the camera still whilst looking at the rear screen at 810mm (300 X 2.7) is to hard.

One has to go the J1 for a V1 so I can use the FT-1 with more stability or just sell the FT-1.

Any suggestions on my dilemma?

Thanks for the reply Cyclops.

I think if the 2 main things that bug me about the v1 were fixed IE the review that cant be turned off and the continuous focusing with the ft1 i would jump in and buy one tomorrow.

Nice Bird pics by the way(y)

Hi,
Any 18.5mm owners here? I'm tempted to get one but would like to know what real world bokeh examples I could come to expect.
Would appreciate if anyone could post up some sample pics taken at f/1.8
Cheers,
dac :)

I own the 18.5mm lens. It's a great little lens, it mainly lives on the body pretty much 90% of the time. Had it about a couple of weeks now, I'll have to dig out some shots I've taken with it. Some great reviews of it knocking around.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/...lens-review-for-the-1-series-by-craig-litten/

Thanks Mark. Yeah, I've seen Steve Huff's blog/post but most of his street photography tends to be B/W.

Any colour f/1.8 samples you could share? ;)

Thinking of replacing the 10mm f/2.8 with this lens. (Then my kids won't look so big/distorted)

Cheers,

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. Yeah, I've seen Steve Huff's blog/post but most of his street photography tends to be B/W.

Any colour f/1.8 samples you could share? ;)

Thinking of replacing the 10mm f/2.8 with this lens. (Then my kids won't look so big/distorted)

Cheers,

Yeah that's true, I'll try and sort something out for your at the weekend. 18.5mm is great lens. I sold my 10mm 2.8mm as I wasn't using it.

I've just bought a V1 with 10-30 lens - seems great so far. Can anyone recommend a good, small shoulder case to fit just the V1 and 10-30?

Hi all! I'm thinking of getting rid of all my M4/3 kit and switching to Nikon 1. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between the 11-27.5 and the 10-30? Seems a little odd that there should be two almost identical lenses at a very similar price point :thinking:

the 10-30 has VR and is larger, the 11-27.5 doesnt have VR and is smaller. you just have to decide whether you like the VR or the small size

the 10-30 has VR and is larger, the 11-27.5 doesnt have VR and is smaller. you just have to decide whether you like the VR or the small size

Ah ok... thanks. I can't see VR being too important at that focal length. So there's no difference in IQ between them then?

Ah ok... thanks. I can't see VR being too important at that focal length. So there's no difference in IQ between them then?

When it launched I'm sure Nikon (or the reviewer) referred to the 11-27.5 as being a cheaper to make budget lens, if so I would expect it to be slightly inferior to the original kit lens.

When it launched I'm sure Nikon (or the reviewer) referred to the 11-27.5 as being a cheaper to make budget lens, if so I would expect it to be slightly inferior to the original kit lens.

Thanks... (y)

I have only tested the 10-30 so I can´t tell you if there is any difference in IQ.

When the V1 is used in A or P with auto ISO it is inclined to use fairly slow shutter speeds, and the crop factor makes it a 27-81mm (35mm eq) lens, so that I find that the VR is useful when used in low light IMHO.

The 32mm f/1.2 is now on the Nikon USA website:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/About-Ni...ry/Photos/h8c3r8pm/1-NIKKOR-32mm-f%2F1.2.html
Waiting patiently for pricing info and dates as to when it can be shipped.
I'm waiting to see how much it will cost before deciding whether to go for the 18.5mm f/1.8 or this 32mm f/1.2 :)

@markhort
I had another quick google for the 18.5mm review and this one gave some colour examples of what bokeh effect was possible:
http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/12/21/review-18-5mm-1-nikkor-lens/

interested to see the 18.5mm examples as I'm tempted to pick on of these up soon

Hi all! I'm thinking of getting rid of all my M4/3 kit and switching to Nikon 1. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between the 11-27.5 and the 10-30? Seems a little odd that there should be two almost identical lenses at a very similar price point :thinking:

I got rid of my Panasonic stuff to go to a J1 (with 10-30 and 30-110) and to be honest it was probably a mistake. The J1 is a decent enough camera which is capable of good results but it has many issue too. Try as I might I cannot get to the point where I am really happy with it so have just picked up another Panasonic. If you have any interest in shooting video I would definitely stick with M43 as the J1 has given me so many problems with video - in good light it is ok but the moment the light starts to drop the problems start! I may well keep the J1 and 10-30 as it works well for shooting through a telescope but will be using the Panasonic for general stuff. I would definitely recommend trying before you buy.

I got rid of my Panasonic stuff to go to a J1 (with 10-30 and 30-110) and to be honest it was probably a mistake. The J1 is a decent enough camera which is capable of good results but it has many issue too. Try as I might I cannot get to the point where I am really happy with it so have just picked up another Panasonic. If you have any interest in shooting video I would definitely stick with M43 as the J1 has given me so many problems with video - in good light it is ok but the moment the light starts to drop the problems start! I may well keep the J1 and 10-30 as it works well for shooting through a telescope but will be using the Panasonic for general stuff. I would definitely recommend trying before you buy.

Thanks for that. I don't need it for video so that's not really an issue. I find that I don't use my M4/3 for anything other than casual snapping and holidays, I always default to my DSLR kit for everything else. So I figure I may just as well try an even more compact system even if it sacrifices a bit of quality... Still wavering though!

Thanks for that. I don't need it for video so that's not really an issue. I find that I don't use my M4/3 for anything other than casual snapping and holidays, I always default to my DSLR kit for everything else. So I figure I may just as well try an even more compact system even if it sacrifices a bit of quality... Still wavering though!

For that I am sure you will be happy with the Nikon (assuming that you can get on with the controls, but as a Nikon user they might make more sense to you). It is certainly a small camera although I have just picked up a Panasonic GF5 with the power zoom which is noticably smaller than the J1 with kit lens. I've been through a few of the CSC options (have tried Olympus, Panasonic, Nikon and Sony) and they are all very capable, I reckon user interface is one of the biggest deciding factors, it's definitely why I didn't get on with Olympus. The more I think about it the more I think that I am likely to keep the J1 for a while yet.

Here's one from me with the J1 and 10-30
Only really a snapshot but I like it anyway.

Felicity playing in the snow

Hopefully going to get the 18.5mm f1.8 very soon as reading up on it seems to have re sparked my interest in photography and the J1 I think is great for what I need.
Went from the X10 to the J1 because with small children I need something with a quick autofocus

Last edited:
Nobody brought an V2 yet ? :)

Just taken delivery of a 10-30 V2 kit this morning. It's my first Nikon 1 so I can't compare it to the V1 or a J but I have to say that first impressions are way better than expectations. It feels substantially better build than my Panny G3, the grip and controls all have a lovely positive and tactile feel which oozes quality. On top of that it looks a lot better in the flesh than it does in the pics! It's noticeably smaller than the G3 too, this is a holiday snapshooter for me so size matters. I bought an 18.5mm a couple of weeks ago in anticipation and it's about half the size and a third of the weight of the equivalent Panny lens!

I've only had the V2 for half an hour but am taking it for a family break away tomorrow so will try and get to grips with it over the weekend.

Just ordered a v1 and was just after some help regarding lenses. With the ft1 adapter what lenses can be used and will the af all work as it should? Also is the flash worth a purchase?

Im very new to photography and started with canon but have just sold it all. I was planning on a better body and lens but these compacts have really drawn my interest especially with the results i have seen. the size is also very appealing for an out and about camera. Cant wait to have a play with it i do a lot of motorsports so will be good to see how it performs also.

Nobody brought an V2 yet ? :)

Yes, I've had a V2 since last December. I had the V1 before that. I enjoyed using the V1 but found myself getting more and more frustrated by the loose mode dial. The V2 is a vast improvement ergonomically though in other aspects they are the same in my opinion. The only minor annoyance I have with the V2 is that silent mode can't be tweaked to allow a shutter noise. In some situations, like when doing wildlife photography, I want to have the focus beep turned off but keep a soft shutter noise. When you use silent mode on the V2 it is easy to think 'is it taking pictures?' and then find that it has in fact taken loads without you realising.

Yes i seen those. That was one of the main reasons i chose this camera. The v1 is a steal at the moment and to be able to produce images like that is awsome.

Back