Nikon 1 Series (V1/ V2/ J1 etc) owners thread....

Name
Barry
Edit My Images
Yes
With the advent of the Z series it amazes when people say 'Nikon are new to this mirrorless game' - to my mind, they were ahead of it and got short shrift from the Photo press.

A much forgotten aspect of Nikon's development program.

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
With the advent of the Z series it amazes when people say 'Nikon are new to this mirrorless game' - to my mind, they were ahead of it and got short shrift from the Photo press.

A much forgotten aspect of Nikon's development program.
Indeed, but it would seem that unless its full frame, it doesn't count, but Nikon have commented on how much their Nikon 1 experience contributed to the Z cameras. At least it puts Nikon one up over Fuji, Panasonic and Olympus who, by the same criteria, still haven't managed to produce their first mirrorless camera. I look forward to the same comments being made about Panasonic when their first (FF) mirrorless is released.

The Nikon 1 was a camera ahead of its time, and its a great shame that Nikon never really seemed to know what to do with it. And it did get many very good reviews from the photo press, the "hatred" seem to come from forums and people who had never used it, or used it in a cursory manner. I was amazed at the quality you could get out of that 1" sensor, but it did need some effort to get the best out of it

I have sadly sold mine now, but every time I come across an old Nikon 1 image, often mixing seamlessly with my D600 and D500 images, I regret getting rid of it, but I needed the money.

I still want to believe Nikon when they said they continued to have a long term commitment to the Nikon 1 and that it was just sleeping and not actually dead. As sensors continue to improve, and once they have sorted out the Z system, a high quality 1" sensor with "small" and high quality CX lenses. properly marketed, might still have a place :)