Nikon 105mm Macro VR Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi is the build quality of the Nikon 105mm Macro of high grade I.e. is it constructed by metal? And does it feel sturdy in the hand? I understand the gold ring on top indicates it’s a professional Nikon Lens, so I would assume the quality was good but just want to know for sure. One reason I ask is the angry photographer on YouTube slanders this lens quite a bit referring to it as a, “Plastic piece of crap”

Thanks

Angry photographer is angry, I’m sure if he used gentle adjectives he would get less clicks.
I’ve had one for a few years and have just sold it as it was getting v little use.
This lens was launched in Feb 2006 so it is an old design.
It is made of mainly plastic as are most lenses these days.
Like all macro lenses it is sharp. I understand it is also a reasonable portrait lens although I never used it as such.
Optically I don’t think you can fault it. VR is useful, autofocus a bit slow by today’s standards.
FYI I’m talking about the AF-S G VR 2.8.

Last edited:
all i an say is mine is very solid, gets used all the time and gives fantastic photos .. very solid and well built ..

From what I have read, the 105mm VR is mostly metal with plastic coverings. Ken Rockwell reports that the mount connecting to the camera is brass. Your YouTube report is out of step with nearly all of the reports I have seen about this lens.

Back