Nikon 18-105

Edit My Images
No
Could any owners of the 18-105 give me some feedback on how good or bad this lens is - especially when compared to the 18-55 kit lens.

Many thanks,
Al

i have the older version (it may be an 18-135 lens) and not going to comment on quality but if you want to go out for the day and take just one lens it does the job nicely

Haven't had one but common opinion I've read is it isn't much of an upgrade in IQ

Save for a 16-85 instead

Well, to be honest a 16-85 was to be my next lens but I'm trying very hard to justify the price - sounds a very good lens though. Might do without food next week ;)

Al

But the more 'comparison' discussions I read the more I'm leaning towards the 18-105.
The build quality of the 16-85 is superior, but the value for money has to be the 18-105 I think.

I've got the 18-105 VR kit lens on my D90, it's good, but the plastic mount ring worries me a bit (a lot).

The distinct advantage of the 18-105 is not having to change lenses so often, as dust was a pain in the backside on my D40x. So for a general purpose lens the 18-105 works well....

Thanks for your replies.

I agree about the plastic mount - that is probably the one thing that is holding me back.

Al

Thanks for your replies.

I agree about the plastic mount - that is probably the one thing that is holding me back.

Al

Yep, when I ordered the D90 I very nearly cancelled upon hearing about the plastic fantastic. But I checked out the replacement mount rings, they're cheap enough to carry several around with you, add a cheap set of precision screw drivers/tools (like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolson-Tools-36039-piece-Mini/dp/product-description/B000WDXMG4/) and you'd be able to repair it in minutes.

The percentage that break can't be all that high, remember you hear about the ones that break, but never about the ones that don't.

I was thinking of 16-85 myself although I may be inclined towards the 17-55 2.8 as I was used to 35-70 2.8 on my F5. Having said that 18-105 is your all in one lens and you wouldn't have the hassle of carrying any other. Good luck......

For the money the 18-105 is a great lens IMO. I have better lenses, but the range on this is a near perfect walkabout for me. The distortion is not as bad as I was led to believe and IQ is fine overall. I paid £140 off here, and can't think of much better at that price.

Not quite what you are asking, but I had a 18-105 before the 18-200VR2, that I use on my D300s.
A great lens IMO. And better VFM than the 18-200, which to be fair, I wish I had not bought. Yes, it's a great one lens solution, but above 135mm , it starts to get "soft".
And its a chuck of glass to olt onto a D300s.
So, get a good 18-105 S/H for around £140?

Thanks all - I'm reasonably happy that it will be a suitable lens for me now.

Al

If you use filters, the 18-105 is better than the 18-55 as the front element doesn't rotate on focussing.
Plus, the extra range is nice.

Paired with a 35/f1.8 it's a great cheap/light combo for travel IMO.

If you use filters, the 18-105 is better than the 18-55 as the front element doesn't rotate on focussing.
Plus, the extra range is nice.

Paired with a 35/f1.8 it's a great cheap/light combo for travel IMO.

Exactly what conclusion I had come to :)

Thanks,
Al

Well after another day's pondering I've decided against the 18-105 - because of the plastic mount. I feel I would be constantly worrying about it and that would cheese me off.

Al

Last edited:
Well after another day's pondering I've decided against the 18-105 - because of the plastic mount. I feel I would be constantly worrying about it and that would cheese me off.

Al

Bloody hell mate, there's more important things to be constantly worrying about!

The plastic mount is reflected in the cheaper price, if you have the 18-55 kit lens that's a plastic mount, do you constantly worry about that as well?

:) I don't to be honest, but the 18-105 is a fair bit heavier so I think I would be more aware of it.

Al

I throw my stuff about a fair bit, and I always seem to pick the camera up by the lens, and I've not managed to break it yet. At the end if the day it costs £3.30 to replace.

I had the 18-105 and it's a decent budget lens. Versatile and iq is not too bad. The 18-70 is a better lens IMO and a bargain used at under £100. It comes down to cash and focal lengths u need. £200-230 will get a tamron 28-75 2.8, and I think the 17-50 2.8 is similar too.

I did have a mount break as it fell off a table. Got fixed fine but wouldn't let the plastic mount put me off.

Back