Nikon 18-70mm or 18-105mm VR

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
May I know which one is better in build quality, Mechanical quality.
Also the sharpness, focus speed?

Thanks

18-70 is certsinly better built, and focuses quicker.

Sharpness.. sorry I didn't compare... seemed quite close unscientifically. The 18-105 VR has more CA (seems typical of new Nikon lenses, leave it uncorrected optically, let the JPEG engine correct it)

I prefer the 18-70 DX personally.

Sharpness.. sorry I didn't compare... seemed quite close unscientifically. The 18-105 VR has more CA (seems typical of new Nikon lenses, leave it uncorrected optically, let the JPEG engine correct it)

Do you a Sigma 17-70 would be a better choice or not?
As Sigma has macro as well.!

Nikon 18-70 every time its a very dark horse and I love it.

Made the mistake of selling my original one when I got a 18-200VR, in the end sold that and reverted to the 18-70 and got a 70-200 ƒ2.8 sigma for the rest of the range...

Nigel

18-70 is a corker,should never have sold mine.

seems that I can keep my 18-70mm for long time without changing it.!
As I dont really need 2.8 all the time!
But then I used to have 17-70mm Sigma in Canon and liked the macro thing on it.
Don't know if I should go back to this Sigma lens or not.!

if theres one lens i'd have out of the nikon range it would be the 18-70mm, i just think it outstanding, my boss hates me saying that as we don't normally have it in stock. we've just got a d50 in second hand which i'd love to pair up for myself but now the new olympus pen is coming out i don't know what to buy... (lottery time...)

its would be a definite lens in my kit over the (imho) lesser built 18-105mm vr by quite some distance

I picked up a 2nd hand 18-70mm for £95 just yesterday, complete with box, papers, hood etc. Seems a bargain to me and already it feels like a really nice lens. Just need to head out and take some shots.

Do you a Sigma 17-70 would be a better choice or not?
As Sigma has macro as well.!

Sigma's a nice lens. Be warned its not a "true" macro lens i.e. 1:2.3 reproduction rather than 1:1. Still good for shots where you want to focus up close...

Sigma's a nice lens. Be warned its not a "true" macro lens i.e. 1:2.3 reproduction rather than 1:1. Still good for shots where you want to focus up close...

Yea although it is not 1:1 but still good for me to use before with canon.:LOL:
Just thinking of if I should go for this or not or just keep the 18-70mm for longer and save money later for a proper Macro lens

how does this fit with the others listed:
Nikon AF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF ED

what's CA?

thanks

Just picked up a Sigma 17-70 myself and have to say I am very impressed with it for the price. My copy is very sharp and it is smallish and light. Perfect walkabout for my up and coming holiday. F2.8 at the short end and semi macro capabilities are an added bonus.

18-70mm undoubtedly. I got mine with my D90 as opposed to the kit lens, and I love it!! Very sharp, and suprisingly wide too

Just picked up a Sigma 17-70 myself and have to say I am very impressed with it for the price. My copy is very sharp and it is smallish and light. Perfect walkabout for my up and coming holiday. F2.8 at the short end and semi macro capabilities are an added bonus.

That's what I like about with the Sigma
But might keep the 18-70mm for a while first

Back