Nikon 200-500 f5.6

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
So I decided to rent a Nikon 200-500 f5.6 zoom lens from LensesForHire, a special 3-day hire covering 12 days over the xmas period.
I am not really a 'reviewer' but I though that some comments on my experience might prove useful or of interest to others:)

First a word on LensesForHire ... the booking process on their website was easy to use and I had a choice of how I wanted to receive/return the lens, I could collect/return personally, have it sent to me and arrange my own return, or have it sent to me and returned by courier collection. I chose the latter option and had the lens delivered to my home, it was securely contained in a Peli-type case with foam insert. with plastic security tags to indicate any tampering and inside contained the necessary paperwork and lens manual.
On inspection I found that one of the small securing lugs on the inside of the lens hood had been broken off and when first used I noticed a small crack in the hood, these were only noticeable by careful checking and I think confirms the comments I have read in the reviews of the flimsy and somewhat irritating design/construction of the hood for this lens.
At the end of my hire period the lens was collected as agreed by the courier and in both deliver and collection I was sent a text giving a delivery time slot of 1 hour, which was very useful. I was provided with additional plastic security tags for the return and a pre-printed return label to affix to the peli-type case.
All in all the hire went as well as I could have expected and the additional hire length was a very nice bonus.

The Nikon 200-500 f5.6 is a substantial zoom lens and not a lens I could hand-hold for extended periods of time, on my first time out I carried it on a shoulder strap from the tripod foot with my Nikon D500 attached. I took some shots hand-held but the majority were taken with the assistance of a large beanbag. For my remaining trips out I used my monopod and found this to be an excellent way of using the lens, the monopod taking the weight of the kit and me being able to manoeuvre it to shoot whatever I wanted. A caveat here, I am 70 years old and I am sure that younger, fitter togs would be able to manage this lens with greater ease than I could.
I had read reports of the AF being relatively slow with this lens but even though almost every day I had available to use it was gloomy, I did not find this to be particularly the case, I can't say that I ever missed focus with the bare lens on my D500. On the subject of the D500, the two pieces of kit seemed to work very well together, it just seemed that the lens brought out the very best of the D500 and vice versa, I was very pleased with the way it rendered even higher ISO images, even up to ISO12800.

I did get the opportunity to try the lens with both my TC 14-eii and TC 17-eii and these gave me a minimum aperture available of f8 and f9.5 respectively.
Surprisingly I found that the D500 was able to AF even at f9.5, although at times a little sluggish in the gloomy light I was working in (overcast cloud and rain) and I would have liked the opportunity to have used both in good light as I think I might have been surprised, I don't think I would hesitate to use the TC 14eii where I had reasonable light to do so as AF still seemed quite snappy.
One odd experience I had on each occasion that I used the lens was that it would very occasionally (sometimes 3 or 4 times, other times just once in the day) randomly switch from my default Group Area-AF to Single-Point AF, with out any input from me. I never discovered the reason for this anomaly, so I don't know whether it was the lens or the body or the combination of the two, but I am pretty certain it wasn't me and it has never happened with any other lens I have used ... no other TP users appear to have experienced this issue either.

There are three downsides to the Nikon 200-500 f5.6.
  1. The tripod foot is of the usual pathetic Nikon standard, only worse ... it has only one fixing hole so okay for a monopod but hopeless for fixing an Arca-Swiss plate to use on a gimbal etc. Kirk do a replacement (currently out of stock in the UK it seems) at a cost of around £170, a not so insignificant surcharge to use the lens efficiently on a tripod.
  2. The zoom ring has a very long length of travel to zoom from 200mm to 500mm and back, I could not accomplish that in a single action, needing to take several turns of the ring to do it, not ideal if needing to zoom in or out with speed.
  3. The lens hood some say is of light construction to avoid an imbalance on the lens, that may well be but it is a flimsy bit of kit and irritating to both fit and remove, especially to reverse, (though the actual damage to this particular hood may have been a contributory factor to my frustration). Added to this is the fact that if one did sustain damage to the lens hood they do not seem very freely available in order to obtain a replacement, surprising as I am sure there must be a number of broken ones out there. I have heard reports of gaffer tape and velcro being used in an effort to keep hoods attached, hardly a good recommendation for the design/construction.
Overall I found that the Nikon 200-500 f5.6 was a good lens to use, certainly more convenient and giving more easier options for use than my Nikon 500 f4 VR, which is, for me, becoming a weighty beast and of course does not zoom. The final image quality is very good, not as good as my 500 f4 VR but surprisingly good for the substantial difference in price.
It should be noted that the 200-500 does not have any particularly effective weather-sealing so that should be factored into its use, a suitable rain cover/flexible 'lenscoat' is advisable if using outdoors in adverse weather conditions.

certainly more convenient and giving more easier options for use than my Nikon 500 f4
does not have any particularly effective weather-sealing

Very good report, review, Roger! (y)(y)(y)

It explains so well why I bought a zoom to sidekick my 600 mm ƒ4
and why it had to be IF. I committed for the 200~400 mm ƒ4, which
was not a cheap decision but I never had any reason to regret it. It
is the most sophisticated lens ever produced at any time and by any
maker resulting in a fast and sharp tool!

A very informative and thorough review on the 200-500 gramps. I'm due delivery of mine today and some of the mentions in your review really have given me good information about what to expect. Particularly the fact that it's not weather sealed. Thanks again

Interesting review gramps, the lens hood problem is a pain in the bum, my work around it is to use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSstyles-M...52&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Camkitmate+39mmx95mm it will not be to everyone's liking as it is shorter than the standard hood, but for me it's ideal as I shoot while dog walking, so the hood dropping off was a problem, and an expensive one if you lost it along the way, as it's screw in you have no fear of it dropping off, I've never found my 200-500 the fastest focus, it's fine if you can pre focus on an area, or hide work where the focus area is mostly the same, but when walking and using from close trees/bushes to birds in flight or far away hares it does tend to be slow and search on dull days especially, glad you enjoyed the hire has it tempted you to buy one ? for the money it is well worth the investment :)

Last edited:
Interesting review gramps, the lens hood problem is a pain in the bum, my work around it is to use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSstyles-M...52&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Camkitmate+39mmx95mm it will not be to everyone's liking as it is shorter than the standard hood, but for me it's ideal as I shoot while dog walking, so the hood dropping off was a problem, and an expensive one if you lost it along the way, as it's screw in you have no fear of it dropping off, I've never found my 200-500 the fastest focus, it's fine if you can pre focus on an area, or hide work where the focus area is mostly the same, but when walking and using from close trees/bushes to birds in flight or far away hares it does tend to be slow and search on dull days especially, glad you enjoyed the hire has it tempted you to buy one ? for the money it is well worth the investment :)

Ian I think that cheap alternative hood would be very useful, for me it's basically just protecting the lens element from knocks so would certainly fit the bill.
The rental has tempted me to buy one ... I have been considering selling my 500 f4 VR as it's getting heavy now for a day out. I actually went to buy a used one from Grays yesterday, as it had a Kirk foot attached, but unfortunately it had been sold and not removed from the website listing ... they had another but their prices are premium and without the Kirk foot there was nothing to swing it in my favour.

Thanks for this Gramps - I am an 80-400 user and contemplating getting something longer or brighter for Costa Rica in 2019.

Being primarily a Pentax user I'm used to giving Canon users 2 fingers when I am out in the rain (that's why you never see Pentax shooters, you're inside and worried your cameras will get soaked:p and they're all still outside in the rain:exit:) so the lack of weatherproofing is a disadvantage in the rainforest. I have both TC14 and TC17 Mk2 so an appraisal of the performance with both is very much appreciated.

Thanks for a good and interesting review Roger. I have this setup and find the AF fast and agree the hood is very poor quality. I'm pleased you mentioned the TC14-eii converter as I have been considering getting one but did have concerns about its affect on this combo. Will .probably get one soon once my wife has recovered from my D500 purchase.:naughty:

Ian I think that cheap alternative hood would be very useful, for me it's basically just protecting the lens element from knocks so would certainly fit the bill.

It shortens the combo by a few inch as well gramps ;)

roger
thats a good review, my 200-500 0n the d500 is the mutts nuts as i have said in previous posts
i use this combo on my monopod with the 1.7tc and get lovely results also easier to carry slung over my shoulder

Very good review, Roger

Maybe post a couple of your favourite shots from shooting with this combo (for people looking for info on this particular combination)?

(y)

Good point Wez.

This one has gone nuts on Flickr & Twitter ... group of Common Snipe.
400mm - f7.1 - 1/640th - ISO4000

Snipe Island
by Roger, on Flickr

Nice colour and detail in this Teal, although dreary light.
500mm - f7.1 - 1/800th - ISO5000

Teal
by Roger, on Flickr

Pair of Canada Geese (better not reduced to forum size).
500mm - f5.6 - 1/800 - ISO12800

Canada.jpg

This guy had a problem getting a good copy of the lens, although he does not say exactly why?

Last edited:
i just put mine down to poor technique...

I would have done the same had my 5 year old 7D not been so much more successful.

This guy had a problem getting a good copy of the lens, although he does not say exactly why?

I have read this a few times now, some put it down to the fact the lens is built to a budget and therefore the manufacturing tolerences are not as stringent

I've fallen in love with my 200-500. Today was the first time out with it, and I'm blown away. I actually find the AF perfectly acceptable, albeit not as quick to react as the Tamron 150-600 G1, it does seems to acquire focus with certainty and precision, and haven't found it to hunt yet!! Also performance at 500mm is very good indeed. One thing though, the 200mm end is a little long for close up swans and geese, so I found it harder to frame my shots without having to step back considerably. Also the focus ring is a little flimsy to the feel, did you find this @gramps?

Also the focus ring is a little flimsy to the feel, did you find this @gramps?

It is Gil but I so rarely use it, the only issue to activating it by mistake ... don't think I did in the few times I used the rental. :)

Put my money where my mouth was and bought one :)
What happened to your 500mm f4? Welcome to the club. Hope to go out with mine tomorrow morning in the snow

What happened to your 500mm f4? Welcome to the club. Hope to go out with mine tomorrow morning in the snow

500 f4 has been sold Gil ... picking up the 200-500 tomorrow :)

I too sold my 500 f4 and replaced it with a 200-500. Very impressed with it for the price and it’s surprisingly good with the 1.4 TC.

I too sold my 500 f4 and replaced it with a 200-500. Very impressed with it for the price and it’s surprisingly good with the 1.4 TC.

Which version of the tc do you use?

First morning out with the new Nikon 200-500 f5.6 yesterday, a very gloomy day where ISO12800 was the order of the day initially ... but at least it wasn't raining! :)
I bought the lens from John Lewis, coming with a 2-year warranty and accidental damage insurance (and still cost slightly less that Nikon Approved Retailers) I was anxious to make sure I took care of the lens so basically used just hand-held or on a beanbag.
Here is a small selection of photos, no special claims, just a little variety ... I look forward to a day with better light though!

Male Tufted Duck flies in.

Male Tufted Duck flies in
by Roger, on Flickr

Wigeon Panic.

Wigeon Panic
by Roger, on Flickr

Female Tufted Duck at rest.

Female Tufted Duck at rest
by Roger, on Flickr

Rook.

Rook
by Roger, on Flickr

Gull with a halo!

Gull with Halo
by Roger, on Flickr

I hate the cheap feeling screw in hood, much prefer the hood trype on say a 70-200. Seems a bit slower to focus than my Sigma 120-300. The Sigma snapped into focus where the 200-500 seems like a smoother transition. Never like a zoom where the front extended as it changes the balance point but i suppose i just need to put up with it. Will get its first real test in 2 weeks when i try for Golden Eagles with it.

I hate the cheap feeling screw in hood, much prefer the hood trype on say a 70-200. Seems a bit slower to focus than my Sigma 120-300. The Sigma snapped into focus where the 200-500 seems like a smoother transition. Never like a zoom where the front extended as it changes the balance point but i suppose i just need to put up with it. Will get its first real test in 2 weeks when i try for Golden Eagles with it.

See above link for metal screw-in alternative hood, which I might try, though the one on my new lens, although flimsy, is a much better fit than the broken one I had on the hire lens. Although there are the obvious compromises I find it quite liberating after the 500 f4 prime, easier to use hand-held or on a monopod and more flexible by being a zoom.

I had the 200-500 and in common with many others had problems with the hood mine fell off the first time I used it on a visit to Bempton cliffs fortunately I was able to retrieve it after walking back about half a mile it was later held in place with sticky tape
which annoyed the hell out of me I soon sold it and bought a Sigma 150-600 sport which has far better build quality.

Im stuggling to like this lens the more i try it. I bought it over the Sigma 150-600 Sport to use wide open ir stopped down by 1 stop but in lowish light its just not as sharp as i would hope for. Likely to get a chance on Fri/Sat in better light and hope it looks better or its getting sold and i will buy another Sigma 120-300 or try the 150-600 Sport.

Im stuggling to like this lens the more i try it. I bought it over the Sigma 150-600 Sport to use wide open ir stopped down by 1 stop but in lowish light its just not as sharp as i would hope for. Likely to get a chance on Fri/Sat in better light and hope it looks better or its getting sold and i will buy another Sigma 120-300 or try the 150-600 Sport.

What are you using it on?

I had it handheld for a few deer shots in the rain, shutter around 1/400, iso 2500, VR onand 400-500mm. Wasnt to bad but expected slightly better. Moon shots tonight tripod, remote, 1/800 iso200,450-500mm and results arent great at all. Will try micro adjust in decent light at the weekend using my usual staggered book test. Need to keep it as im off to Spain on Monday and if i cant get results then its getting sold ir going to Nikon. Only tried it on the D850 so far.

Last edited:
I had it handheld for a few deer shots in the rain, shutter around 1/400, iso 2500, VR onand 400-500mm. Wasnt to bad but expected slightly better. Moon shots tonight tripod, remote, 1/800 iso200,450-500mm and results arent great at all. Will try micro adjust in decent light at the weekend using my usual staggered book test. Need to keep it as im off to Spain on Monday and if i cant get results then its getting sold ir going to Nikon. Only tried it on the D850 so far.
What body?

Thanks Blythman. Was the lens calibration no use on the first lens. I intend setting mine up with focussing on a few books slightly apart but may not be the best way of doing it. My Sigma 120-300 was nice and sharp so feel i made a mistake at the moment. Bought the lens on ebay as it was a Uk kens and only 3 months old and only used twice in the womans garden im told.

Thanks Blythman. Was the lens calibration no use on the first lens. I intend setting mine up with focussing on a few books slightly apart but may not be the best way of doing it. My Sigma 120-300 was nice and sharp so feel i made a mistake at the moment. Bought the lens on ebay as it was a Uk kens and only 3 months old and only used twice in the womans garden im told.
Fine tuning did nothing for mine. I used the auto fine tune in the D500. Took 12 readings. Discarded the highest and the lowest. Took an average of the remaining 10. Get a value of +10. Still not happy, so bought Focal Pro. calibration with that gave a value of +9. I gave it every chance but when I managed to get the shutter speed up to 1/1000 at f8 with a low ISO, and I still couldn't get fur detail in a stationary seal pup, I called it a day. 2nd copy is much better

Back