Nikon 200mm f/2 help please

Name
Chris Tarling
Edit My Images
No
Apologies - this could have been posted in the 'Wanted' forum but traffic seems to be low there.

I have recently acquired a Nikon 200mm f/2 VRII but am looking for some help please - a surprise to me but the lens as purchased (used) came fitted with the optional polarising filter and assembly. It did not come with the std clear filter in its drop-in holder.

I am trying to source this and it is proving to be something of a challenge. I have been using the lens with the polariser removed and the opening taped up but this is far from ideal and have some shoots coming up in indoor arenas which are a challenging environment in which to keep kit clean.

A long shot but does anyone have one they would be prepared to sell or could direct me to a supplier? I've asked Nikon UK but they are still to reply after several days.

I have so far bought two drop-in holders both described as fitting the 200mm f/2 but they have both been incorrectly described and have been for the 300mm f2.8 (and therefore too big!).

TIA

Apologies - this could have been posted in the 'Wanted' forum but traffic seems to be low there.

I have recently acquired a Nikon 200mm f/2 VRII but am looking for some help please - a surprise to me but the lens as purchased (used) came fitted with the optional polarising filter and assembly. It did not come with the std clear filter in its drop-in holder.

I am trying to source this and it is proving to be something of a challenge. I have been using the lens with the polariser removed and the opening taped up but this is far from ideal and have some shoots coming up in indoor arenas which are a challenging environment in which to keep kit clean.

A long shot but does anyone have one they would be prepared to sell or could direct me to a supplier? I've asked Nikon UK but they are still to reply after several days.

I have so far bought two drop-in holders both described as fitting the 200mm f/2 but they have both been incorrectly described and have been for the 300mm f2.8 (and therefore too big!).

TIA

try Grays of westminster

Mike

try Grays of westminster

Mike

Thanks Mike.
I did call them but drew a blank - thought it might have been something they had tucked away in a drawer, but no joy.
I'm quietly annoyed at the lack of disclosure on the part of the seller of the lens, though I have a suspicion that they didn't actually realise that it was fitted with the polariser.
I have a nasty feeling that this part is going to be very very difficult to get.

Thanks Mike.
I did call them but drew a blank - thought it might have been something they had tucked away in a drawer, but no joy.
I'm quietly annoyed at the lack of disclosure on the part of the seller of the lens, though I have a suspicion that they didn't actually realise that it was fitted with the polariser.
I have a nasty feeling that this part is going to be very very difficult to get.

The clear one can not be unscrewed fro the holder and it has taken me a year to find the one with the thread at a reasonable price

Mike

Last edited:
Is this something worth looking at?

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/nikon...MIs8LtiI6L3gIVz5ztCh3iMgi9EAsYASABEgL21_D_BwE

Zooming in there appears to be a thread.........does that mean you can fit, for example, a thin mount unthreaded (cannot take a second filter or even a clip cap) UV(0) filter.....???

Edit ~ oops....a little late to the party....but still "right" for the job???

Had that delivered today - they actually had a used one.
It's the same as the one I had delivered from Amazon and is mis-described. Too big for the 200mm f/2 - and actually from the 300mm f2.8.
But that's the sort of thing I am after.

I am now getting wise to spotting the difference in the images - the 200mm has much less material between the edge of the filter thread and the securing crew at the top as the OD of the lens is less than the 300/400/500 lenses where the filter holder slides in.
Phone calls to Nikon have proven frustrating - I get passed to a call centre in Ireland which then completes a 'spare part request' and I have to wait for the reply via e-mail. Made my request last Friday....

If you only want the holder, or need that as a 1st step how about: Here on eBay

Thanks - had found that.
I've asked the seller for more info - namely the width of the holder, and the size of the filter it accommodates.
Since asking I have had a closer look at the pictures and I believe that a) it's a gelatin filter holder (you can see the hinge in the second pic) and the b) it's from a much older 200 f2.

Had that delivered today - they actually had a used one.
It's the same as the one I had delivered from Amazon and is mis-described. Too big for the 200mm f/2 - and actually from the 300mm f2.8.
But that's the sort of thing I am after.

I am now getting wise to spotting the difference in the images - the 200mm has much less material between the edge of the filter thread and the securing crew at the top as the OD of the lens is less than the 300/400/500 lenses where the filter holder slides in.
Phone calls to Nikon have proven frustrating - I get passed to a call centre in Ireland which then completes a 'spare part request' and I have to wait for the reply via e-mail. Made my request last Friday....

Drat!!! well with other TP members digging as well I hope you will find one and this is not a rocking horse manure search.

PS I wonder if Stewart of Lenses for Hire would be able to offer any insight???

Sorry if you have already found this but on Nikon usa site they list product 4153 as being the right one for the 200mm

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-p...#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-CompatibleWith

But is is temporarily out of inventory :(

Thanks - that is helpful and I had not found it.
I have been looking for the correct part number and I think that Nikon has created the confusion around this part and which lenses it fits.
I found an old price list which listed the part as number JXA10097 applicable to 300mm f2.8, 200 f2 and 200-400 f4. This is wrong but may explain why the parts I obtained from Amazon and WEX were both described as fitting the 200mm f2 but were in fact the part for the 300mm f2.8 I have the 300mm f2.8 also and the filter holder is a larger diameter.
Two pics below which show the part I received (believed to be number JXA10097 but there is no actually number stamped) against the polariser using that's fitted to my 200mm f2. The first image shows the holder dropped over the rear lens cap of my 200mm f2.

Nikon-10.jpg Nikon-11.jpg

Sadly, history show many people having the same issue as you for this and other Nikon 'exotic' lenses :(
Hope you get a better result.

Sadly, history show many people having the same issue as you for this and other Nikon 'exotic' lenses :(
Hope you get a better result.

Unfortunately I fear you are right. I wish I had known about the lack of the clear filter when buying the lens. I don't believe I would have purchased it had I known. Had the option of a brand new one for £630 more.....

Unfortunately I fear you are right. I wish I had known about the lack of the clear filter when buying the lens. I don't believe I would have purchased it had I known. Had the option of a brand new one for £630 more.....
Any return option?

Hmmm....
Could I cannibalise the polariser that I have?
Seem to be plenty of those available at the moment, albeit they are an expensive item.

Thanks - that is helpful and I had not found it.
I have been looking for the correct part number and I think that Nikon has created the confusion around this part and which lenses it fits.
I found an old price list which listed the part as number JXA10097 applicable to 300mm f2.8, 200 f2 and 200-400 f4. This is wrong but may explain why the parts I obtained from Amazon and WEX were both described as fitting the 200mm f2 but were in fact the part for the 300mm f2.8 I have the 300mm f2.8 also and the filter holder is a larger diameter.
Two pics below which show the part I received (believed to be number JXA10097 but there is no actually number stamped) against the polariser using that's fitted to my 200mm f2. The first image shows the holder dropped over the rear lens cap of my 200mm f2.

View attachment 136659 View attachment 136660

Clearly, size wise, a very different size/intended lens usage!

FWIW I looked for the part number I found and unlike the USA site in the EU countries you have to request the part i.e. not listed that I could find :(

It would seem that the only Nikon site that lists it is the USA one, even on the Japanese site I cannot find it by the part number???

Last edited:
Clearly, size wise, a very different size/intended lens usage!

FWIW I looked for the part number I found and unlike the USA site in the EU countries you have to request the part i.e. not listed that I could find :(
Thanks.
My fear is that the confusion around the part number extends right into Nikon's own spares listings.
I will see what Nikon say when they (hopefully) reply to my spare parts query.

Found this about their slot in CPL and the three different versions applicable to the lens/lenses they fit

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000005861&configured=1&lang=en_GB

But sadly nowhere on that section can I find the akin info re: drop in holders???

NB the places that offer the lens for sale (e.g. Park, WEX) mention in the spec the dropin filter and offer as an accessory a standard 52mm filter!

PS frankly were i in your shoes I would get a refund and though cost more(?) get one with the 'standard' kit......................Nikon and the way they, for what appears to be a lens still retail available as new stock, make it so hard to find and buy what surely is a common accessory sounds like a dire company to rely on :(

Been looking at this further and I believe the picture shows that this is the part for the 300mm f2.8 :(
I think even Nikon's own data is inaccurate.
Hmm! I see what you mean in regard to the depth of the 'head'.....................side by side differences of the overall size and pattern on the link above.

Having said that unless the picture is used generically??? But would they do that?

Always the chance that I am wrong but I thought that they should only come with one filter holder and a polariser filter. It’s just a screw in filter so you should be able to unscrew it from the filter holder and drop in any thin bezel 52mm filter of your choice.

Always the chance that I am wrong but I thought that they should only come with one filter holder and a polariser filter. It’s just a screw in filter so you should be able to unscrew it from the filter holder and drop in any thin bezel 52mm filter of your choice.
No the polariser is a different accessory.

As a non Nikon user, that kind of makes sense. Though surely the empty holder should be available as an accessory for as long as the lens is in production and/or covered by repair potential??? Let alone if a user wants a spare or two?

But if you are right about the "whats in the box" then Chris has been mis-sold the lens if the missing part was not declared!

The polariser is a completely different item. Though the external dimensions of the drop in holder are the same the polariser is not removable and there is a small gear wheel that protrudes out of the holder so that the polariser can be rotated when fitted in the lens.
The Nikon 800mm f5.6 shares the same part.

Just took some pics of mine if it helps, looks like a standard filter screwed onto the holder, no parts no: on the holder.

You can have mine for £2950 and I'll chuck in the lens for free!

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

As a non Nikon user, that kind of makes sense. Though surely the empty holder should be available as an accessory for as long as the lens is in production and/or covered by repair potential??? Let alone if a user wants a spare or two?

But if you are right about the "whats in the box" then Chris has been mis-sold the lens if the missing part was not declared!

The filter holder was included though.

The o.p is saying that he is unable to unscrew the polariser filter.

He should be able to unscrew that and replace with any slim bezel filter of his choice. You can see from the photo he posted that the polariser is a just a screw in filter that's he should be able to unscrew.

Screw in filters can be a pain and can get stuck. He seems to think it can't be unscrewed but pretty sure that it can be. The photo the o.p posted clearly shows a screw in filter.

Last edited:

The o.p is saying that he is unable to unscrew the polariser filter.

As I understand it the lens came with the drop in polariser (which is an optional extra) rather than the drop in clear filter (which is what was originally in the lens) which means he is not getting optimal IQ. As the holders for each are different the filters cannot just be swapped over.

Last edited:

But not the right unit that comes with the lens.

As I understand it the lens came with the drop in polariser (which is an optional extra) rather than the drop in clear filter (which is what was originally in the lens) which means he is not getting optimal IQ.

Exactly.

As I understand it the lens came with the drop in polariser (which is an optional extra) rather than the drop in clear filter (which is what was originally in the lens) which means he is not getting optimal IQ. As the holders for each are different the filters cannot just be swapped over.

They aren't different though the filter holders are the same.

I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:
Back