Nikon 200mm f/2 help please

The filter holder was included though.

The o.p is saying that he is unable to unscrew the polariser filter.

He should be able to unscrew that and replace with any slim bezel filter of his choice. You can see from the photo he posted that the polariser is a just a screw in filter that's he should be able to unscrew.

Screw in filters can be a pain and can get stuck. He seems to think it can't be unscrewed but pretty sure that it can be. The photo the o.p posted clearly shows a screw in filter.

No I am not saying that I cannot unscrew the polariser. I am saying that my lens does not have the std filter holder and clear filter. The only way I can currently use my lens without the polariser is to remove it and tape over the open slot.
The polariser part C-PL3L is completely different from the dedicated drop in filter holder. The polariser CANNOT be removed. It is permanently fitted into the holder chassis.
My photo does not 'clearly show a screw in filter' ;)

I have considered starting a return with eBay. I'm still thinking of keeping the lens though - it is a good example.
I think my best option is actually to buy another C-PL3L polariser - there are plenty on eBay (albeit at a price). The polariser is held into the frame with a large circlip so, in theory at least, I can remove the circlip, remove the polariser and potentially insert a clear filter and security it with the circlip.
In theory at least ;)
Won't know unless I try.

Last edited:
I have considered starting a return with eBay. I'm still thinking of keeping the lens though - it is a good example.
I think my best option is actually to buy another C-PL3L polariser - there are plenty on eBay (albeit at a price). The polariser is held into the frame with a large circlip so, in theory at least, I can remove the circlip, remove the polariser and potentially insert a clear filter and security it with the circlip.
In theory at least ;)
Won't know unless I try.

The filter you need is screw-on, screwing into the correct filter holder ... can't see how the 'fudge' would work correctly and what about the resale value of the lens?

So, I doubt that there are many actually interested in this but I've started so I'll finish.
I have removed the split ring retaining the polariser in the holder frame.
Unfortunately the holder will not accommodate a std 52mm UV filter - the hole in the holder is marginally too small.
I need to carefully check dimensions but it may be possible to cut a filter thread in the holder - to my eyes it looks as though there is sufficient material.
Rather boring pics:

Disassembled C-PL3L:
Nikon-12.jpg

Couple of images showing detail of the filter holder - recess for polariser and gear wheel to turn it when mounted in the lens:
Nikon-13.jpg Nikon-14.jpg

Detail of polariser showing recess for retaining split ring:
Nikon-15.jpg
Std UV 52mm filter placed on holder:
Nikon-16.jpg

The filter you need is screw-on, screwing into the correct filter holder ... can't see how the 'fudge' would work correctly and what about the resale value of the lens?

What I'm proposing will not affect the resale value of the lens. My thoughts are to buy another C-PL3L as these are readily available. Keep this as the polariser for the lens (as the one I will buy will come with all the original packing, case, etc) and then modify the existing C-PL3L that came with my lens. I can simply keep my eyes open for the correct Nikon dedicated filter holder.

What is the actual diameter of the CPL "glass" and how is it held in i.e. is there a standard diameter "glass" UV(0) of that size that you could remove from a suitable donor filter and if you can remove the retaining ring/flange to get the CPL element out will the ting/flange go back in >95% ok?

To my mind's eye what I suggest is a simpler and reversible method.

PS in regard to donor filter I wonder if there are any precision optical labs could reduce a too large one to the right size to fit the CPL ring???

To be honest even if you intend keeping the lens I would still have put a dispute in as it is not as it should be. You may have got a partial refund (which personally I think you are entitled to) just to make up for any loss in value should you ever decide to sell or to cover the cost of sourcing a new filter/holder.

So, I doubt that there are many actually interested in this but I've started so I'll finish.

Carry on, I'm quite interested even if no one else is :)

What is the actual diameter of the CPL "glass" and how is it held in i.e. is there a standard diameter "glass" UV(0) of that size that you could remove from a suitable donor filter and if you can remove the retaining ring/flange to get the CPL element out will the ting/flange go back in >95% ok?

To my mind's eye what I suggest is a simpler and reversible method.

PS in regard to donor filter I wonder if there are any precision optical labs could reduce a too large one to the right size to fit the CPL ring???

Interesting suggesting - the glass appears to be retained by a split ring, so removable. The Heliopan 52mm UV filter than I had planned to use doesn't offer such an easy solution for glass removal - not sure how it is manufactured and the glass retained.
The route I am going to pursue is modifying my Heliopan filter - I am trying to find a friendly model engineer that could turn down the threaded portion of the filter and create a groove for the Nikon split ring. I believe that there is enough material on the filter but if it all goes badly wrong I will have only destroyed a £30 filter. The Heliopan uses a brass mount so it's an eminently workable material.

To be honest even if you intend keeping the lens I would still have put a dispute in as it is not as it should be. You may have got a partial refund (which personally I think you are entitled to) just to make up for any loss in value should you ever decide to sell or to cover the cost of sourcing a new filter/holder.

Carry on, I'm quite interested even if no one else is :)

Ha - thanks Mike ;)

Interesting suggesting - the glass appears to be retained by a split ring, so removable. The Heliopan 52mm UV filter than I had planned to use doesn't offer such an easy solution for glass removal - not sure how it is manufactured and the glass retained.
The route I am going to pursue is modifying my Heliopan filter - I am trying to find a friendly model engineer that could turn down the threaded portion of the filter and create a groove for the Nikon split ring. I believe that there is enough material on the filter but if it all goes badly wrong I will have only destroyed a £30 filter. The Heliopan uses a brass mount so it's an eminently workable material.

It just struck me, are Nikon likely to have made or bought in a non standard "glass"? In other words is the size of the CPL the same as is fitted in the likes of normal screwin filters such as the 52mm or 49mm screwin filters.

If so I have a redundant Hoya UV 52mm filter that I think uses a circlip to hold the glass in that you could have if you would like it???

Edit ~ only with a ruler but I make the recess for the glass 49mm

Last edited:
It just struck me, are Nikon likely to have made or bought in a non standard "glass"? In other words is the size of the CPL the same as is fitted in the likes of normal screwin filters such as the 52mm or 49mm screwin filters.

If so I have a redundant Hoya UV 52mm filter that I think uses a circlip to hold the glass in that you could have if you would like it???

Edit ~ only with a ruler but I make the recess for the glass 49mm

That's a very kind offer. I'm going to look through my stash later and see what I have. Might take you up (y)

Apologies - this could have been posted in the 'Wanted' forum but traffic seems to be low there.

I have recently acquired a Nikon 200mm f/2 VRII but am looking for some help please - a surprise to me but the lens as purchased (used) came fitted with the optional polarising filter and assembly. It did not come with the std clear filter in its drop-in holder.

I am trying to source this and it is proving to be something of a challenge. I have been using the lens with the polariser removed and the opening taped up but this is far from ideal and have some shoots coming up in indoor arenas which are a challenging environment in which to keep kit clean.

A long shot but does anyone have one they would be prepared to sell or could direct me to a supplier? I've asked Nikon UK but they are still to reply after several days.

I have so far bought two drop-in holders both described as fitting the 200mm f/2 but they have both been incorrectly described and have been for the 300mm f2.8 (and therefore too big!).

TIA

I have just been on the Nikon NPS helpline, looks like it is a spare part and not an accessory, hence why not stocked by dealers, they are going to call me back and let me know if available and the price.

Mike

Just out of interest is it as simple as a common or garden UV filter?

When I had my Pentax 250-600mm f/5.6 there was a wallet full of 49mm filters which included a UV but there was also a clear one in the holder/lens which didn't say UV. I can't see why there would be 2

I'm not so certain a 'standard' filter glass, off the shelf, is the complete answer here.

In the days of Nikon's mirror lenses there were options to fit filters (x2 yellow, x4 orange etc). There was a 'plain' (not UV) drop-in filter in the optic train which, if not located, degraded the image quality. I should imagine this is no different in the case of any lens where there is a 'drop in' filter option.

Last edited:
Nikon does say in their manual to always use a filter and makes the comment also that the closest focus distance is extended when using the C-PL3L.
I have used in-camera AFMA adjustment (and Reikan Focal) to adjust my lens for focus without a filter fitted.

I have now had a reply from Nikon Spares and am hopeful that they've got the right part - all the indications are good.
In an ideal world I would like to be using the lens as Nikon intended. The filter also gives some ingress protection for the rearmost lens element.

I guess what I should've added was...

The whole optics formula of this type of lens is computed to allow for the use of filters (in the case of the early mirror Nikkors) this would've been expensively huge [and hugely expensive].

They then decided to add the 'drop-in' option. As we all know a piece of flat glass inherently has its own optical characteristics which need to be considered in the computation. Great if you needed a coloured/UV/Polariser but what if you don't need one? Ta da - a 'clear' filter :)

Just to round this off I have just received my drop 'filter case' from Nikon. This is the correct part, but is ridiculously expensive for what it is.
Fitting the filter caused a huge change in the focus tune across 4 camera bodies.
68aa3bc402b64f759c8131768d6d0378.jpeg

Back