Nikon 28 1.4E

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I have a lens dilemma which I'm trying to justify. Currently my lens line up consists of the Nikon 35mm 1.4G, 58mm 1.4G, 85mm 1.4G and 70 - 200 vrii, which I mostly use for weddings. I'm generally happy with all of them but not against the idea of swapping out a lens here and there if the opportunity arises. The option of buying a mint copy of the 28mm 1.4E at a really good price (£925, around half the cost of a new lens in the UK), has come up. If I go for it, i expect i would sell the 35mm as they are pretty similar in focal length. The 28mm would offer a slightly wider option for group photos, getting ready shots in cramped environments etc, and is meant to be stellar in terms of optics and performance. Then again I do love the character of the 35mm and I know that sharpness is not everything.

Any opinions / advice from those who have experienced both would be much appreciated
Cheers.

I have the 28 1.4e and it’s an exceptionally sharp lens, maybe even the sharpest f mount lens. But and most importantly for me it also has bags of character, when I shoot portraits with it I rarely click on lens corrections in LR as it just renders beautifully out the box.

I also have the 58 and the 28 isn’t as special in its rendition but the 58 is a one lens masterpiece.

Your right that the 35 is probably a bit too close and would have to be sold, I have been considering the Sigma 40 to split the difference in my kit but presently it’s a want not a need and I would rather hold onto my money at the moment!

I can’t speak for you personally but If I was one of the many wedding togs out of work at the moment I wouldn’t be rushing out to drop a grand on a new lens when I already have one that is a similar focal length.

Why not just get a 24mm lens instead? Different enough from the 35, and a wider AoV than the 28.

And can I ask; why all the f1.4s?

How familiar / comfortable are you with the 28mm focal length? I ask as I am most comfortable with long focal lengths - 85 up to 3/400mm and rarely shoot wide. I have the 28mm 1.8 Nikon and I rarely use it as I just don't gel very well with wider focal lengths - I like 35 - that's about as wide as I go. I've tried a 24 and it's too wide.
The point I am trying to make - as the 35/28 lengths are so close - aside from it being a good deal what would you realistically gain ? Aside from a new toy?

What about getting a 24-70mm lens? save swapping lenses about. You don't say if you have a DX or FX camera which would be helpful

Last edited:
What about getting a 24-70mm lens? save swapping lenses about. You don't say if you have a DX or FX camera which would be helpful

From the sound of things swapping lenses is not an issue, but image rendering and appearance are. Pretty sure a zoom is not going to scratch that particular itch.

I would agree with @ancient_mariner comments above. Having had numerous 24-70’s they perform an admirable job but the results rarely excite me in the way that an exceptional prime can.

Back