Nikon 300mm f2.8 AF N IF ED

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Has anyone got any feeback on the above version of the Nikkor 300 2.8. I just need to know if this particular version will be fast enough for football under floodlit conditions.

Thanks,

Ian.

Wow, thats at least 20 years old Ian, very slow AF and forerunner to the AF-I and AF-S models, i would say avoid

Wow, thats at least 20 years old Ian, very slow AF and forerunner to the AF-I and AF-S models, i would say avoid

Thanks for the reply Gary, It's just the price of the one I was looking at which tempted me! Methinks I will have to stick to my original plan of a 70-200 2.8 (Sigma) as won't allow a 300mm 2.8 AF-S :(

Suppose i should add it was the first lens i owned when i switched to Nikon, i bought it from ebay for around £400 and boy was that a mistake but to be honest i didnt do my homework and didnt really have a clue about all the different Nikon versions.

It was a really sharp lens but AF was a dog in trying to lock on as it was so slow, once it did get a lock it was just about OK at keeping up but nowhere near anything which came after it, nice contrasty images though.

Only ever tried it under lights once and this was the reason i got shot, it just wouldnt AF in the dark.

had this lens also, used it for footy, and its very slow in poor light,and tends to search all over the place, but not unusable..

Methinks I will have to stick to my original plan of a 70-200 2.8 (Sigma) as won't allow a 300mm 2.8 AF-S :(

Make sure you get the Siggy from a reputable dealer who will allow you to exchange it if there should be any problems with the lens. If you get a good copy these are great lenses, but there are some bad ones about.

In other words...avoid ebay.

Back