Nikon 300mm F4 Hire

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm hiring the Nikon AF-S 300mm F4 lens this coming weekend, along with a 1.7 teleconverter.

I currently have the Tamron 150-600mm at the moment for birding.

Just wondering what I can expect from this lens and TC combo? Does anyone have the two lenses? What are your thoughts?

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

With the 300mm prime, is it forgiving for cropping? Or is it best to fill the frame with the subject, in camera?

I will be using them on a Nikon D600. I may still have my D7100 by the weekend but looks like I may be selling it this week.

All thoughts welcome :)

Cheers,
Wez

Which nikon 300mm f4 lens are we talking about? The new vr lens or the previous model AF-S non vr?

I had the previous model (non vr AF-S) and it was a great lens. With a 1.4 TC mk2 is was very good, hardly much difference with and without the TC. The 1.7tc was ok in floodlight but I hardly used it as the 1.4tc mk2 was the one I went with most of the time if I needed extra length. Many rate the 1.4 as the best TC. I never liked the 1.7 TC as much never used it much and ended up selling it on.

A friend hired the new 300mm f4 vr on a recent trip and said it was excellent. He wasn't too happy with it with his 1.7tc so ended up using it without a TC most of the time.

A while ago I did a comparison of using a 1.4 TC or cropping as a blog post. You can read it here. Not sure if it of help as you are probably talking about cropping with the TC, I found it cropped a reasonable amount quite well on the d7100.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your replies.

It is the previous AF-S model without the VR.

The only reason I went for the 1.7 over the 1.4 was that they were both the same price to hire. To be honest, I didn't even think that maybe their quality was different. I just assumed they'd be as good as each other, seeing as they're both made by Nikon. So I went for the extra reach.

I'll try it out as I've ordered it now on hire (comes tomorrow), so it looks like I'll have to get a lot closer to the birds as other people suggest I should be looking to fill the frame :)

The 1.7 TC does work on the older 300mm f4, it does need good light to work well but it should work ok.

Teleconverters are a compromise between extra focal length and degrading AF speed/accuracy, IQ and aperture light loss. The 1.4 TC should only have very little degrading, the 1.7tc and 2x TC more. The 2x is really made for fast f2.8 primes due to the two stop light loss.

The 100mm difference between the 1.4tc and 1.7tc could easily be gained by cropping the image.

Back