nikon 50mm f1.8?

OK so I have been fully depressed by reading this thread!! I only have a D40x (which I have had some great results from:)) but it means I am restricted to AF-S lens's.:( However the thing that attracked me to this thread was the f1.8/1.4 comments. I am getting into night time and star photography ( Iwont say Astro because I'm just not any good at it yet) what I want to know is ' would one of these lens's be anygood for my D40x as star photos dont need an auto focus anyway, as it all needs to be done by had or would is cause me any problems. (I'm thinking its possible but just wondered!!):thinking:
Thanks (y)
Simon

OK so I have been fully depressed by reading this thread!! I only have a D40x (which I have had some great results from:)) but it means I am restricted to AF-S lens's.:( However the thing that attracked me to this thread was the f1.8/1.4 comments. I am getting into night time and star photography ( Iwont say Astro because I'm just not any good at it yet) what I want to know is ' would one of these lens's be anygood for my D40x as star photos dont need an auto focus anyway, as it all needs to be done by had or would is cause me any problems. (I'm thinking its possible but just wondered!!):thinking:
Thanks (y)
Simon

Wide aperture lenses are for us poor sods who need to capture 'action' in low light - maybe I'm wrong - but there is little action in astro photography ???

DD

Well from what I have gleaned (and its not a great deal) is that the wider the aperture the better maily because of the noise generated by high ISO settings required with smaller apertures (unless ou have an astro tracking mount) So I figure a 50mm f1.4/1,8 would be a great option if it is viable!!
(I could be wrong!!)

i now cant wait to get this lens, after a quick search on flickr of pictures taken with a d80 and the 1.8, it sold it for me as the bokeh on most of the images is stunning, ill be sure to post some pics for you lot to c+c when i get it. thanks to all that gave there opinion and helped me decide. im sure ive made the right choice for the money.lol

Thanks
Gibbo.

Back