nikon 50mm f1.8?

Name
Anthony Gibson
Edit My Images
Yes
is this a good prime lens? ive been pondering over it for a while and as i recived a free £20 voucher for bristol cameras i can get the lens delivered for just £75 out of my pocket, what would you do?
i have never used this lens but some of the results i have seen from it on here really good. can those who have this lens or have used it help me decide please.(y)

Thanks
Gibbo

It's the one lens everyone should own! Amazing DOF effects and sharp. Cheaper than a night on the beer;)

thats the reply i was looking for!(y)

so would you say i was getting it at a good price?

got mien a week ago, its really good for portraits just the thing you need ;) a bit of narrow view on DX sensors, but u need to step back a bit basically :)

£75 new for this lens is v good price as there aren't any shops stocking these at the moment that's this cheap

You wont find it any cheaper than that new. If you wait you could get one for 55 second hand but for 20squids ectra its worth getting a new one when you want it.

i thing i may be swayed on this already.lol anyone got any sample pics of portraits you have took with it as this is what it would mostly be used for.
Thanks for the replys so quick!lol

I'd pick up a used one - for such an "essential" lens they do come up used very very often.

Should find one for £50 no problem.

but is it worth paying that extra £20 for a new one? i think i would prefer it new.

I always prefer new if possible, but yes, I have that lens and I can most certainly recommend it. I think I paid about £65 for it last year so isn't too steep.

Get it!

It's a good price (they've gone up to around £85 ish IIRC). This is a lens that holds it's value so you won't lose much money at all if you move it on.

It's a no brainer IMHO.

Check out www.fredmiranda.com/review for lens reviews as well.

thanks i think im gona order it in a minute, i always prefer new gear if i can afford it and £75 is hardly breaking the bank for what seems to be such a well rated lens i dont think. has anyone got any portrait pics taken with this lens?
Thanks.

i would get the f1.4 but thats a bit more expensive!:eek::eek:

Take a look on flickr.com or pbase.com and search for Nikon 50mm f1.8 - you'll get loads of images to sift through. (y)

Not on the laptop, I'm afraid. If I can chuck my other half off the PC later on I'll see if I can fish some out for you.

ok thanks^

ill take a look now^^

I'll be the one that says this.....again :shake:

Try shooting exclusively at 50mm with the lens you have now - it's not a particularly useful focal length on a crop sensor dslr.

Things are only cheap if you actually have a use for them ;)

I'll be the one that says this.....again :shake:

Try shooting exclusively at 50mm with the lens you have now - it's not a particularly useful focal length on a crop sensor dslr.

Things are only cheap if you actually have a use for them ;)

I agree with that - I never liked 50mm on DX. I'd shoot with a 30mm f/1.4 or 35/2 (although to be fair these are much pricier than the 50mm f/1.8)

I love 50mm on full frame, and my Sigma 50mm f/1.4 is a wonder though - but I wouldn't shoot that on a crop camera either.

Like I said - for such an "essential" lens, they don't half get sold quick smart ;)

ive tried 50mm on a lens i have and it seems fine but i think before i decide i mite try and go a full day just shooting at 50mm first to try it as you two seem to speak from experience.
thanks guys.

where are the example shots

take a look on Flickr and just search f1.8 or 1.8 and you get loads.

just took a look at the 35mm f2 and it is just a tad more than i would of hoped to spend.

ive tried 50mm on a lens i have and it seems fine but i think before i decide i mite try and go a full day just shooting at 50mm first to try it as you two seem to speak from experience.
thanks guys.

At £80 or whatever it is now it is a no brainer to have in your bag, but as has been said 50mm on a DX sensor is a very awkward length , especially indoors where space is tight. They tend to be very soft at f1.8 as well, but pleasingly sharp by f2.8. The Nikkor 35mm F2 or Sigma 30mm F1.4 are probably a better better for DX but about £100 more expensive. You pays your money and takes your choice.

as its only £75 then i think i may just order it and as people have been saying there not really hard to shift.lol i dont think my budget will strech to just over £200 just yet. what the heck!

I agree with that - I never liked 50mm on DX. I'd shoot with a 30mm f/1.4 or 35/2 (although to be fair these are much pricier than the 50mm f/1.8)

I liked the fov of the Sigma 30mm, but, well, it's a Sigma...must take a look at the 35mm f/2.....

Do have a browse around regarding prices as I saw it on Amazon the other day for £70 new...I think thats probably the cheapest!

I think that if you have a use for the 50 1.8 it is a great lens; when it worked out for me to use it, I had great results. Decided to move mine along in favour of the Tamron 17-50 2.8 as I think that I prefer to have the option of movement with my feet AND the optics. Fingers crossed that it arrives tomorrow!

I'd wait for a secondhand one to turn up, use it for as long as you want to in the knowledge tjat you'll get back what you paid for it if you find it is not for you.

Chris

ive decided to get the 1.8 and its just been ordered, as its only £75 i cant go wrong, if i cant get on with it ill just sell it.

I only ever use the f1.8 at f1.8 during Weddings during the 'dark' bits

Sure an f1.4 would be faster, sure an f1.2 may be faster & higher quality - but for the small end prints/album images it commands it is easily good enough

Quality of images is an important factor no doubt - but it's all relative

If you are wanting really BIG prints, then buy the £1,000 lens - but if A4 is big enough, then the f1.8 is more than up to the mark

DD

yeah i only ever print at a4 max as i dont really need prints as big as a3, i just wanted a decent fast lens that is fun as well as practical. im not to fussed about it only being 50mm on a DX sensor as i already own 2 zooms in the equivalent of 18-300.
Thanks

yeah i only ever print at a4 max as i dont really need prints as big as a3, i just wanted a decent fast lens that is fun as well as practical. im not to fussed about it only being 50mm on a DX sensor as i already own 2 zooms in the equivalent of 18-300.
Thanks

Then it's a fine lens - I have sold/printed the f1.8 happily at A3 - so while anything 'better' may have the edge in a side by side comparison it's so marginal as to be pointless IMO unless the client can be offered the 50mm variations taken at the exact same time = not possible

My Top Tip - buy what you need rather than what may in some circles be the 'Best in the World' - unless those pounds are burning your pocket to be spent

DD

Back