Beginner Nikon 70-200 F2.8 vrII vs Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 DG OS Lens

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I currently have a nikon D600 FF and looking to buy a 70-200 F2.8 lens

I currently have a tamron 70-300 F4-F5.6 which is performs brilliant But i know the F2.8 will just outperform it.

There is a big price difference between the Nikon and Sigma 70-200 F2.8, i know the sigma was 2010 realease? But in regards to performance and image quality is it worth spending the extra £400-500 for the nikon lens?

TIA

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi.

I've never used either of those lenses, but thought I'd throw another great option in, which is an incredibly good lens, at a fraction of the price of the ones you mentioned.

The nikon Nikkor 70-210mm f/4 is tack sharp with a good auto focus and you can pick it up second hand for very little. It has a solid build, too. I knmow it's not as fast as an f/2.8, but at f/4, it's faster than most in it's price range and the performance is just unreal for the price. Plus, with it being a constant f/4, you'll notice a big difference between that and your Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it's a great lens. You can pick it up on eBay for under £150, which is amazing for a lens of this quality. (Be sure to look at the f/4 constant though and not the f/4-5.6).

In any case, good luck with your lens search!

Name
Tommy
Edit My Images
No
I have had both lenses twice, the Sigma was very soft wide open and would front and back focus depending on the focal length on both the copies I had.

The Nikon is excellent, great rendering and very reliable in terms of a.f.

Another option would be the Tamron 70-200 either of the V.C versions are very good. The old non V.C version isn’t.

The Nikon is the best choice although will likely be more expensive.

Last edited: