Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII vs Tamron 70-200 G2

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to get an f2.8 lens in this zoom range.....and here in the UK I can get a new Tamron for roughly or maybe a little more a used Nikon.

Which one should I go for and why?

Anyone had experience of both of them?

I have read some reviews of the G2 and of the Nikon and while both of them are excellent lenses in review there is nothing like the recommedndations of people who actually use them....

I'm sure there has been previous debate on this forum about this comparison but unfortunately cant find it so apologies if I am repeating this thread theme....

Many Thanks.

nikon as its built like a tank and holds its price good optics built by nikon for nikon cameras
and will work with future cameras guaranteed
3rd party len's you are taking a gamble with future cameras

nikon as its built like a tank and holds its price good optics built by nikon for nikon cameras
3rd party len's you are taking a gamble with future cameras

Good point...so has this happened before where they become incompatible with camera bodies?

Good point...so has this happened before where they become incompatible with camera bodies?
Not that I am aware of :)

Tamron came out top head to head with the Nikon and Sigma, but not by much over the Nikon.
Cost wise though...

:sleep:

Last edited:
I have the G2 if you need any samples. Plus you can get the tap in console to fine tune the af at differing focal lengths and distances.

Care to enlighten us?

My Sigma 150-500 wouldn't work with my D750 when i changed up from a D7000. It needed to go back to Sigma for a firmware update. The newer Sigmas and Tamrons with the dock/console shouldnt have this problem though.

I went through the same thing around 4 months ago. Opted for the G2 in the end.

Bought it from Panamoz for the same price as a used Nikon V2 - so got 3 years warranty. I know the V2 is a pro lens and I was concerned that a used one may have had heavy use.

The G2 is a great lens as is the V2 - I shoot mainly landscapes so the 70-200 is rarely used. Happy with all the shots from it so far.

Dave.

I have the g2 150-600 from @StewartR at the moment - in my honest option, the build quality is great - not once did I think "eeuugrrhh" or "plastic" or anything else negative. 3rd party manufacturers seem to have listened to their customer base and upped their game recently. Nikon want mega bucks in comparison and we're not all mill-yon-aires, Rodney

Care to enlighten us?

never happened to me as i don't buy 3rd part crapy but has happened to a couple of my friends with a sigma and a tamron lens
they have never bought any more 3rd party lens's lesson learned
where all lens's from nikon are future proofed not like 3rd party crap

never happened to me as i don't buy 3rd part crapy but has happened to a couple of my friends with a sigma and a tamron lens
I mean you say 3rd party crap but having had an all Nikon lens line up and being utterly disappointed by them, focus shift, poor quality control (across multiple copies) inability to calibrate accurate focus I just had to look elsewhere and went a Tamron 24-70 and 70-200 both G2.

The G2’s have an all metal build, far (and I mean massively) sharper in the corners than the similarly priced Nikon 24-70 mk1 and given the af can be tuned via the tap in console, focus accuracy and thus hit rate is far superior to the ‘crappy’ Nikon lenses I suffered with and that was across multiple Nikon bodies.

I’m now at the point where I don’t have to wince and cross my fingers when I open each file in Lightroom to see if it’s in critical focus or not.

Last edited:

Yes but with the Tap in Console surely this will be a thing of the past....

by nikon for nikon cameras

Not so. I had a 500mm/f4 AF-S II that was not compatible with either the D750 or D810 (can't remember which). It was sent back to Japan and they couldn't fix it. After some investigations, it's apparent that there were others that also experienced this issue.

I'm sure someone told me when russia stopped making the lada cars they started making tamron / tokina / sigma lens's and they were crap as well
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: treat it with the contempt is given ffs

happy new year to all our sasanach friends from bonnie SCOTLAND
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

The tamron is supposedly sharper, but I personally prefer the rendering of the VRII. Also it just works flawlessly, I never have had a single issue using my VRII. That being said, if I didn't have a 70-200mm I'd be seriously tempted by the Tamron G2 as the price difference can't be overlooked and I've been more than happy with my Tamron 150-600mm.

The tamron is supposedly sharper, but I personally prefer the rendering of the VRII. Also it just works flawlessly, I never have had a single issue using my VRII. That being said, if I didn't have a 70-200mm I'd be seriously tempted by the Tamron G2 as the price difference can't be overlooked and I've been more than happy with my Tamron 150-600mm.

Yes agreed...although I was thinking of a second hand VRII which brings the price down to something comparable....having said that there are features of the G2 that I really like such as the Tap in console which should get over the obsolescence issue....the G2 is also a bit warmer than the Nikon judging from the few shots I've seen from it...

I believe the price of the 2nd hand VRII has come down a little in the months I've been watching it lately unless that is merely a seasonal variation....but I'm not buying it as an investment....just want to take nice, well rendered and sharp photos....

Vr is such an awesome feature when it gives you 5 stops of useable compensation. Took some landscape shots earlier at 1/10 sec handheld in the 24-70 G2 at f5.6 and came out great.

Back