Nikon 70-300mm VR noise

Name
Charlie
Edit My Images
No
Took the plunge and splashed out on the aformentioned lens. Had a quick play with it last night, so not a lot of light to experiment with.

With VR on I noticed that when the lens reaches focus there is a 'clunk' - is this normal?

I'm pretty sure what you're hearing is the VR kicking in. I also have a VR telephoto lens and it really gave me a shock the first time I used it. Try turning VR off and trying again, if I'm right the noise will go away.

Can't say I've noticed a clunk with mine. I will try it out tonight and report back. What I would say is the VR is noisy on the 70-300mm and you definitely feel it working in your hand. I have VR on my 18-200 as well but I never thought it worked very well, however on the 70-300 the VR makes a huge difference. It certainly goes some way in compensating for the small max apertures.

I've only had 70-300 for a few days so haven't had a test of the sharpness. I'll sort that out over the weekend. If its anything like my 18-200 then it should be pretty sharp.

Thanks Mr T. It was a bit surprising as it was almost as loud as the shutter going off!

My 18-105 VR doesn't do it - is it because of the longer reach the VR is stronger?

Yep. It is the VR kicking in. Sometimes they also make a very slight squeaking sound as well. Nowt to worry about.

Chris :)

Hmmm, it seems some do and some don't! :shrug:

Or is it just some of us are more sensitive? ;)

Had the 18-200, 70-300 and the 70-200. They all clunk............or is it just the noises in my head!!!

Just checked with the 70-200 again. Defo clunk.

Mine did the same thing

The VR 'effect' appears to be a little different across models IME.

The 55-200mm VR and 18-105mm VR gave a slight 'whooshing' sound whereas the 70-300mm VR sound was certainly more pronounced although not as loud as the shutter sound. The sound was nothing like a 'clunk' though.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Chris, that puts my mind at rest - unless your lens is duff too!

Not that I'm paranoid or anything!

Edit: TorqueRevs makes me happy, sdb123 makes me worried again.

Cheers Chris, that puts my mind at rest - unless your lens is duff too!

Not that I'm paranoid or anything!

Edit: TorqueRevs makes me happy, sdb123 makes me worried again.

I think it will be fine. When I originally got an 18-200 VR I was worried and actually took it back to the shop. Felt a bit daft as they had 3 all doing the same thing. My 70-200 is the loudest. The clunk has never been as loud as the shutter though :cautious:

Remember paranoia is just the ultimate form of awareness....Nowt wrong with being paranoid ;)

I think paranoia with new lenses is quite a common thing, it really gave me a shock until I worked out what the noise actually was. I've since had my lens serviced so I know that it's in fine working order. I would say so long as the noise is a clunk instead of a crunch or scrape you will be OK. Since I've gotten used to the sound I barely hear it now so maybe it just takes a while? :)

I have used the Nikon 55-200mm VR and the 70-300mm VR. Both made some noise, a soft clunk for the 55-200, and a more pronounced click for the 70-300.

My Sigma 150-500 OS is also audible.

So some noise is normal on VR/OS lenses.

The only precaution that I use with VR lenses is to make sure that the VR switch is 'off' before I turn the camera off. Otherwise the VR mechanism can apparently move about.

Edward

Yep worried me a bit at first, but it is apparently normal, and it's never had any adverse affect on my photos, well i guess it wouldn't really as there already crap :LOL:

Just had another play (with the camera and lens ;)):

VR on
depress shutter button - clunk/click and gentle whirring
release shutter button - clunk/click and whirring stops

VR off
no clunks/click, no whirring

So as suggested, it appears to be the VR mechanism engaging and disengaging - whatever clever stuff it does to do that :shrug:

It's just funny that not everyone seems to experience it.

Nice shots on Flickr Scott. I like Knockhill - shows what I could do with the lens.

Glasgow looks very glamorous these days - I should get back some time to see all that's changed.

I'm surprised I haven't seen mention of it in any reviews - or is it expected with all VR/IS lenses?

Are those all your cars? :)

I have recently got the same lens and yes they do whirr a little then a gentle clunk Its quite normal

Back