Nikon 80-400mm f4.5-5.6 D AF VR Lens

Name
meat
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all hope you can help me out a bit. i'am thinking of getting a nikon 80-400 lens... Just wondering if any one has on or used a one... want it for me bird watching...

cheers wayne

I have three of them.

The good news:
* Good solid build quality.
* Decent optics.

The not-so-good news:
* Autofocus is very slow and noisy.
* No full-time manual focus.
* Bizarre and unintuitive focus range limiter.
* Very bizarre implementation of VR (it might have been Nikon's first ever VR lens for all I know); there's a mode where the VR is not activated when you half-press the shutter, but is activated when you fully press the shutter. I can't for the life of me work out what that's for.

By comparison with the Canon 100-400L, it's a real embarrassment. I'm amazed Nikon have persisted with it for so long.

Hi all hope you can help me out a bit. i'am thinking of getting a nikon 80-400 lens... Just wondering if any one has on or used a one... want it for me bird watching...

cheers wayne

If you can stretch your budget get a second hand 70-200 f2.8 VR with TC.

I had a go on my Brother's 80-400 and found it very slow focusing. Ok if the bird is not moving but it was horrible when I was trying to track anything. :bonk:

cheers lads i will have a look for something else

I have one and yes,autofocus is slow. But if you allow for that when setting yourself up for your shots,it is a good ,reasonably compact lens to carry about,with a good zoom range.

People will offer allsorts of better alternatives,but at a price. 70-200 and a converter? Yeah that is a good cheap viable option......:LOL:

I have one and yes,autofocus is slow. But if you allow for that when setting yourself up for your shots,it is a good ,reasonably compact lens to carry about,with a good zoom range.

People will offer allsorts of better alternatives,but at a price. 70-200 and a converter? Yeah that is a good cheap viable option......:LOL:

A new 80-400 is £800 and a second hand 70-200 is about £900 add a £200 TC and all in is £1100, only a extra £300 ;)

If you can stretch your budget get a second hand 70-200 f2.8 VR with TC.
Is that going to work? I should point out that I haven't specifically tried this combination, but my general impression is that zooms don't take a 2x TC very well; there's a big hit on image quality (much more so than with a 1.4x TC) and the focus speed drops. My concern is that, despite the undoubted quality of the 70-200, putting it with a 2x TC might give you something which is more expensive than the 80-400, more cumbersome, worse optically and no better at focussing.

A new 80-400 is £800 and a second hand 70-200 is about £900 add a £200 TC and all in is £1100, only a extra £300 ;)

Only £300?.........Wow,£300 is quite a lot of dosh. Plus with the 2x you lose two full stops and have a 140-400 zoom with debateable IQ.

;)

Only £300?.........Wow,£300 is quite a lot of dosh. Plus with the 2x you lose two full stops and have a 140-400 zoom with debateable IQ.

;)

I was thinking of the 1.7x which does not lose as much IQ but you do lose some reach. Yeh £300 is a fare bit of dosh as well but was just a idea I thought i would throw in there ;)

300 works well with the 1.7 as well Joe, I did use the 70-200 with the same TC, but not enough to recall what it was like image and useability wise.

Anyway, I digress, I use the 80-400 quite a bit,it ain`t the best in the world,but it is far from the worst.

Like I said before I think he should try it first he might not find the focusing a problem. Do you know if Nikon have any plans in the future to update this lens.

God, I hope so......:LOL:

I think Puddleduck has heard something about a replacement,I have not heard nor read anything.........:shrug:

Is that going to work? I should point out that I haven't specifically tried this combination, but my general impression is that zooms don't take a 2x TC very well; there's a big hit on image quality (much more so than with a 1.4x TC) and the focus speed drops. My concern is that, despite the undoubted quality of the 70-200, putting it with a 2x TC might give you something which is more expensive than the 80-400, more cumbersome, worse optically and no better at focussing.

I agree. A 1.7x TC is the max I'd go on a 70-200 VR, and honestly I'd prefer to go no more than 1.4x.

I've not used the 80-400 VR much at all, but the lens would have to stink if it wasn't better than a 70-200 VR with 2x TC.

Like I said before I think he should try it first he might not find the focusing a problem.
I would have said that too, but I decided not to, because it might be perceived as a conflict of interest. ;)

300 f4 with a 1.4x tc is another option. Less range, but much higher IQ and better AF.

hmmm... food for thought, do you think that would be worth changing my 80-400mm for? or is it only worth it if you hadn't bought the 80-400mm already?

How about a 70-300VR and crop slightly more in PS to get 400mm, if you know what I mean.

hmmm... food for thought, do you think that would be worth changing my 80-400mm for? or is it only worth it if you hadn't bought the 80-400mm already?

Depends on whether you need the zoom or not?
I have the 300 f4 great lens.
Got a 1.4 TC but after a 1.7 as well.

Your going from a zoom with good range to two fixed length primes.....:shrug:

Though the 300 F4 is a peach of a lens.

I've been looking at his lens to replace my 70-300VR.

Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM, £650-£700.

Your going from a zoom with good range to two fixed length primes.....:shrug:

Though the 300 F4 is a peach of a lens.

i have used my 80-400mm and when compared to my 70-200mm and 24-70mm 2.8's it doesn't seem to stack up as well, is it my technique? i use a monopod with it but it still doesn't seem to hit the spot

does anybody know what is the IQ comparing this to the nikon 80-400mm? i must admit i do miss the crop factor now i have a FF

Looking at images taken at 500mm, it looks every bit as sharp as my 70-300VR which is good to my eyes.

Downside is it's pretty small maximum aperture - even with the OS, I'd use a monopod wherever possible (my brother has the Bigma, similar size).

I'll throw another lens into the fray - what about the Sigma 100-300mm f/4? Larger, constant aperture, nice and sharp throughout the whole zoom range, even wide open. It's not quite as good as the Nikon 300mm f/4, but you do get the zoom to play with.

I know I keep harping on about the 100-300mm f/4, but it's a bloomin' good lens!

Hello all thanks for all the input. and i have just got my self the Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX IF DG Lens... can i just ask you what Teleconverters will work best with this lens.... cheers wayne

Hello all thanks for all the input. and i have just got my self the Sigma 100-300mm f4 EX IF DG Lens... can i just ask you what Teleconverters will work best with this lens....

You can use both the Sigma 1.4x and the 2x TC's, the 1.4 gives you an effective 140-420mm f/5.6 lens, retaining autofocus, a 2x TC a 200-600mm f/8. Sigma state that the lens using the 2x TC will not AF... Full Sigma TC compatibility chart here

The Kenko Teleplus DG 1.5x MC Teleconverter (Nikon fit) states: Full AF is capable with lenses having a maximum aperture of F/4.5 or brighter. (will AF with 100-300mm f/4)

KENKO MC7 AF 2x Teleplus converter: Auto focus is retained with lens that have a maximum aperture of F/4 or brighter. (will AF with 100-300mm f/4)

Back