Nikon af-p 70-300

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All

Does anyone have any hands on experience with this relatively new lens? I have read a few good things about it but there doesn't seem to be many write ups online.

It is currently around the same price as the tamron 70-300 vc lens which seems to get very good reviews and so I'm trying to decide between the two.

Alternatively, I could go with my original idea of the Nikon 55-200 vr ii and save about £100 but as always the more you look and research the more you want and the more the price increases :)

Any advice, insights or recommendations?

Good stuff, it will work fine then I believe. The Tamron is quite a chunky lens as it is a FX lens so it could be very unbalanced on your camera body. Just something worth considering.

Just bought a 55-200 for my sons xmas present to go on a d3100. The size is tiny but fits really well.
Don't know about the 70-300.
The price at hdew for the 55-200 vr2 is only £125, a real bargain.

Not tried the af-p one but the 70-300 afs one is big and heavy compared to the 55-200vr.

If you do not need the 300mm reach get the 55-200, I had one and was happy with it. Although the quality of the 70-300 vr Nikon is better then the 55-200vr.

Yes I have seen it at this price and it does make it very appealing, especially considering I could get this and a 35mm prime for the same price as the 70-300.

I'm just the type to over think every purchase I make and always wonder what I'm missing out on by saving a few quid and then find myself working through a list of items getting gradually more expensive before coming full circle and starting the process again :runaway:

If the image quality of the 70-300 is better than that of the 55-200 while not being a much more expensive lens then it seems obvious to me. Unless you particularly need small, lightweight kit then the extra mass & size shouldn't be an issue.

Yes I have seen it at this price and it does make it very appealing, especially considering I could get this and a 35mm prime for the same price as the 70-300.

I'm just the type to over think every purchase I make and always wonder what I'm missing out on by saving a few quid and then find myself working through a list of items getting gradually more expensive before coming full circle and starting the process again :runaway:
What do you normally shoot? Or what do you want to use the lens for?

What do you normally shoot? Or what do you want to use the lens for?
Being pretty new to this game I tend to shoot everything that looks even remotely interesting!

So far the most enjoyable has been landscapes, water and cityscapes

What other lens do you already have?

With my d90 I had the 35mm, 50mm, 18-70, 55-200. 35mm was good for low light indoors. However when I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, I sold the 35,50 and 18-70.

The Tamron I have will not work with the D3400, but there is a sigma 17-70f2.8 which may do.

So if you do not need the long zoom and you do not have something in the 17-50/70 range might be worth looking at the f2.8 zooms.

What other lens do you already have?

With my d90 I had the 35mm, 50mm, 18-70, 55-200. 35mm was good for low light indoors. However when I bought the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, I sold the 35,50 and 18-70.

The Tamron I have will not work with the D3400, but there is a sigma 17-70f2.8 which may do.

So if you do not need the long zoom and you do not have something in the 17-50/70 range might be worth looking at the f2.8 zooms.

Currently I have just the af-p 18-55 vr kit lens. Whilst I have been fairly impressed with the versatility of this lens there have been many occasions where the extra zoom would have been nice to help the composition/isolation.

Thom Hogan has a review of it here.

Yes thanks Dmac60, this was the only decent write up I had found for this lens and it is fairly positive. I guess the question is does it warrant over 2x the outlay over the 55-200?

Currently I have just the af-p 18-55 vr kit lens. Whilst I have been fairly impressed with the versatility of this lens there have been many occasions where the extra zoom would have been nice to help the composition/isolation.

Yes thanks Dmac60, this was the only decent write up I had found for this lens and it is fairly positive. I guess the question is does it warrant over 2x the outlay over the 55-200?

I haven't looked at this lens myself, but suspect it only represents good value if bought as part of a kit. The sensible thing to do would be to wait until they they start to appear 2nd hand ... although I've been unable to do this myself recently :) The Tamron or regular Nikon 70-300 would be very good alternatives albeit a bit heavier.

Last edited:
As you already have the range covered I would go for the 55-200 for now and keep an eye out for a used 35mm.

Yes I think I am now leaning toward the 55-200. They seem to sell on eBay for > £100 so won't lose much if I decide in a few months I want the extra reach or the 70-300 starts to receive a lot of praise and truly warrants the extra investment.

I have been keeping my eye out for the 35mm for the past month or so but it seems to sell used for generally around £10 less than it is available new. I have held out for the Boxing Day sales but seems so far there has been little movement in Nikon lens prices from anywhere

For new keep an eye here

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-DX-Lenses/Nikon-AF-S-35mm-f1.8-G-DX-Lens

Used they go on the forum for between £90 and £110.

I know you don't have access to the classifieds yet but keep posting and once you have access you can put a wanted thread.

Also see how may shot you have taking at 35mm using your 18-55, this will give you an idea if it is a focal range you need.

I have been checking that site at least once a day since before I bought my camera nearly 2 months ago. My biggest issue with it is that it shows the price things have been in the past which makes me not want to fork out higher prices for fear of missing a price drop. The 35mm as an example was £120 this time last year, hence why I've put of purchasing it hoping it would again be on sale somewhere.

That pricing from the classifieds is very interesting and getting my post count up won't be an issue but waiting another month or so for my 60 day anniversary may prove to be difficult :)

I do tend to find a lot of my shots are taken at or around 35mm and at times I have dropped to get the extra stop in aperture and then cropped in post which the 35mm will certainly help with

I have been checking that site at least once a day since before I bought my camera nearly 2 months ago. My biggest issue with it is that it shows the price things have been in the past which makes me not want to fork out higher prices for fear of missing a price drop. The 35mm as an example was £120 this time last year, hence why I've put of purchasing it hoping it would again be on sale somewhere.

That pricing from the classifieds is very interesting and getting my post count up won't be an issue but waiting another month or so for my 60 day anniversary may prove to be difficult :)

I do tend to find a lot of my shots are taken at or around 35mm and at times I have dropped to get the extra stop in aperture and then cropped in post which the 35mm will certainly help with
Use what you have and post, time goes fast.

I bought a lot when u first got my DSLR, some did not get much use in the end I had to sell bits off so don't rush.

Back