Nikon AF-S 30mm f/1.8 - What do we think about image quality?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've searched the few threads on here about this lens, as well as reading a couple of online reviews and it seems that the big :thumbsdown: on this lens is CA and fringing in general (plus a little barrel distortion). What I'm not clear on though, is how much this CA goes away as you stop down and at which aperture settings it becomes unnoticable. Don't really know how sharpness comapres to the (already fairly sharp) kit lens, either :thinking:.

I was hoping to get some views (and maybe some sample images) from the people here who own one, as I think that it might be the right choice as a 'low light/better focusing' alternative to my D40's 18-55mm kit lens :shrug:.

I have a Sigma HSM 50mm f/1.4 as well, which AFs on the D40, but it's too long for a lot of situations that I find myself in. It's also a bit big and bulky on the camera body :p ...

D40SB400Sigma50.jpg

I want a smaller, motorised lens, which will give me better focusing in dim lighting and fairly shallow DOF (although f/2.8 would probably suffice :|), when doing street photography and candid portraits, as well as some "white box" stuff around the house.

Is the Nikon AF-S 30mm f/1.8 then, the lens for me :shrug:!?

All input welcome!

IQ is fine, but I prefer the 35/2 really - faster focusing, much better close-up performance and its full frame.

The chap I bought my 35mm f/1.8 upgraded to the 35/2 and I didn't keep the 35mm f/1.8 either, preferring the 35/2.

The 35mm f/1.8 IMHO is aimed at D40 owners who only have a 18-55 kit lens and want a nice cheap sharp light prime. It does that well, but for anyone with a camera that can drive the 35/2 in AF, the 35mm is the better choice for most folks.

Like mine a lot, and although at the moment my new to me 17-55 seems to be welded to the camera. The 35mm will get a low light hammering in Turkey next week. There is a flickr group solely devoted to this little beauty too.

What about the Sigma 30mm 1.4? I picked one up off here for £220 second hand, it's an absolute corker of a lens.

What about the Sigma 30mm 1.4? I picked one up off here for £220 second hand, it's an absolute corker of a lens.

This was my favourite DX lens....excellent performance (not quite as good as the Sigma 50mm f/1.4) and a great focal length. :)

Theres plenty of internet posts saying the sigma 30mm f1.4 is soft or won't focus correctly. However, if you get a sharp copy it's everybit as good and, its a fair bit smaller in size when compared to the Sigma 50mm f1.4... so it looks and feels a better match to the smaller body of the D60 and i presume D40. I should use mine more than I have :shake:

Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 DX is an amazing lens, extremely sharp and such great value. £170 from cliftoncameras.com

Thank you very much to everyone who replied here, I couldn't have found this many qualified opinions, so quickly, any other way ;).

IQ is fine, but I prefer the 35/2 really - faster focusing, much better close-up performance and its full frame.

The chap I bought my 35mm f/1.8 upgraded to the 35/2 and I didn't keep the 35mm f/1.8 either, preferring the 35/2.

The 35mm f/1.8 IMHO is aimed at D40 owners who only have a 18-55 kit lens and want a nice cheap sharp light prime. It does that well, but for anyone with a camera that can drive the 35/2 in AF, the 35mm is the better choice for most folks.

Hi Andy!

I've always put a lot of faith in your opinions on gear and have never been disappointed with any of your recommendations. In this case, I want the 35mm prime purely for use on my D40, as both my Tamrom 28-75mm f2.8 and Nikon 17-35mm f2.8 can cover the 35mm focal length on my D700 - with outstanding results :). AF ability on the D40 is of paramount importance for rapid-fire, candid street work etc.

I have the 35mm f2 version I could tried for your Sigma if you like ;) :)

Your generousity overwhelms me, CyBeRkId :D!

Yeah, that seems to be the only real competitior, as far as I can see :shrug:. I suppose that, if I was lucky enough to get a good one, it might outperform the Nikkor in the same way that my 50mm f1.4 Sigma outperforms the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (i.e. comprehensively), but I'm reluctant to pay the asking price and I have to admit, when I use the 50mm Sigma on my D40 the focus is sometimes a bit off :|, so the rumours of poor AF performance on the 30mm ring a little too true for me. No such problems when the 50mm Sigma's sitting on the D700 though, but then I almost always select the focus point manually.

I have considered it though, so thanks for the suggestion.

that's Ok, I can provide my D90 in return for his D700 as well then :D

At least the FoV won't change too much

:bonk: Er, OK then! you've talked me into it.

;)

OK folks, the deed is done :D!

I decided that all those good people can't be wrong and opted for the Nikon 35mm f1.8.

At £169 delivered from Amazon.de, it's not the end of the world if I find that I don't use it as often as I expect to, but I really need something faster than the kit lens (which gives about f/5 at 35mm :(), for what I have in mind :naughty:.

Again, I appreciate all the input (y).

Yeah, that seems to be the only real competitior, as far as I can see :shrug:. I suppose that, if I was lucky enough to get a good one, it might outperform the Nikkor in the same way that my 50mm f1.4 Sigma outperforms the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 (i.e. comprehensively), but I'm reluctant to pay the asking price and I have to admit, when I use the 50mm Sigma on my D40 the focus is sometimes a bit off :|, so the rumours of poor AF performance on the 30mm ring a little too true for me.

In reality, until Nikon released the 35mm f/1.8 the Sigma 30mm was the only AF choice for D40/D40x/D60 users. ;)

Puddleduck and I have had nothing but praise for the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (I owned two copies on two different occassions, once with a D40 and once with a D90).

No issues whatsoever with AF performance...the issues you read about (in the main) are all said about the Sigma 50mm too.

Back