Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR

Sounds like I need to throw my 70 - 300 VR in the bin and look for a nice used 80 - 200 AF D. 2.8.

£720 from Camerabox (grey import).

If you look around for 2nd hand UK dealers will charge quite a bit; prices on forums/e-Bay are more in line with what Flash said.

Is the later 80 - 200 AF D inferior to the 80 - 200 AF S then?

Is the later 80 - 200 AF D inferior to the 80 - 200 AF S then?

Supposedly. As the AFS is inferior to the 70-200......:shrug:

The gear whores will say so,yes.......:D

I've read that the 70 - 200 VR f2.8 (outgoing version) is not as good on Full Frame. Is this the case with the 80 - 200 f2.8 AF D?

I've read that the 70 - 200 VR f2.8 (outgoing version) is not as good on Full Frame. Is this the case with the 80 - 200 f2.8 AF D?

yes this is true but only when its wide open does it start to fall off as opposed to DX format

Amate of mine uses the D3 with the 300f2.8 and says the 70-200 is a better lens but he chooses the 300 because it gives the same range a 200 on DX does over the 300 on his FX D3 so not much in that one

Amate of mine uses the D3 with the 300f2.8 and says the 70-200 is a better lens but he chooses the 300 because it gives the same range a 200 on DX does over the 300 on his FX D3 so not much in that one

The 70-200 is a better lens than the 300 2.8?

How on earth can a 300 give the same range as a 70-200,irrespective of whatever format they are being used on?

How on earth can a 300 give the same range as a 70-200,irrespective of whatever format they are being used on?

dunno maybe summat to do with the crop factor ect ect I tend not to get involved when its talk about 1.5, 1.6 FF lol

It can't, all a crop sensor can do is give the 70-200 the effective field of view of a 300mm lens, not the same range.

I am fully aware of that Flashy babes. But the statement form his mate is somewhat baffling.Comparing a high end zoom at its max to a high end prime in whichever format seems ridiculous,especially when the prime is some 100mm longer.....:shrug:

The remote arrived,seems ok thanks.I`ll test its abilities in the woods sometime soon........(y)

I am fully aware of that Flashy babes. But the statement form his mate is somewhat baffling.Comparing a high end zoom at its max to a high end prime in whichever format seems ridiculous,especially when the prime is some 100mm longer.....:shrug:

The remote arrived,seems ok thanks.I`ll test its abilities in the woods sometime soon........(y)

Im only quoting what he said and not having the FX to try out against a DX I am just saying what he said and Grahams answer was what I was probably meaning but like my title :nuts:

I know you know, and you know that I know you know, but someone that Pete knows, doesn't know. If you know what I mean. :D

Back