Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 G IF-ED VR

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
I am nearing the point where I can buy one of these lens and have found a new one in an ebay shop for £1249 with free pnp from HK als0 I have found another for £100 more but this one is in the UK.
I have bought less expensive items from HK but do I trust nearly £1300 going overseas or do I help the economy here when the time comes and its close now

By the way these are both the white versions not black:love:

Personally speaking, I'd buy in the UK. The usual warranties will apply, if there's issues you can phone the shop directly and the will speak English.

Good luck with the purchase, it's a lens I'd love to add to my collection.

Why not wait until the new version gets released?....there's bound to be a load of these coming up as people 'upgrade'.

I bought mine from HK and it hasn't missed a beat.

I bought mine from digital rev if I remember rightly, on one of their claim the tax back auctions.

Why not wait until the new version gets released?....there's bound to be a load of these coming up as people 'upgrade'.

I thought the VRII was already out sure DPReview has done the review already unless it was a pre release one

The price of the new 70-200 VR is scandalous IMHO.

Not sure Nikon lenses are that much better than the Canon's versions to justify a £700 premium over the Canon version, and a £400 premuim over the older version....

Not sure Nikon lenses are that much better than the Canon's versions to justify a £700 premium over the Canon version, and a £400 premuim over the older version....

The quoted £2k will be the list price, not street, iirc the current one has a list price of £1800.....

You do have to wonder about the pricing strategy...

I may be wrong about this but the outgoing 70 - 200 f2.8 always had the second incarnation of VR hence the VR11 which is confusing.

I agree totally Andy.

I cannot work out how the 70-200 is worth so much more than the 80-200,God knows how they work the latest price for version 2.

I firmly believe they are taking the pee.

I may be wrong about this but the outgoing 70 - 200 f2.8 always had the second incarnation of VR hence the VR11 which is confusing.

No, it had the first version. VRII was introduced in 2005 on the 18-200 VR.

just realised it was a pre release one KR got hold of link above(y)

I think you'll find Uncle Ken is looking at pictures of the lens and commenting on them.

He says "I can't see any focus lock buttons" rather than "There aren't any focus lock butotns".

The Usual Ken Rockwell look at a picture then become the expert on it :bang::bang::bang:

Actually, I am wrong. Just had a look at Ken Rockwell's review and the new one is VR11.

I think you'll find Uncle Ken is looking at pictures of the lens and commenting on them.

He says "I can't see any focus lock buttons" rather than "There aren't any focus lock butotns".

The Usual Ken Rockwell look at a picture then become the expert on it :bang::bang::bang:

I wonder if he'll find it good for portraits, or will the 18-200 still be Nikon's best for that, in his wee world :wacky:

I agree with sdb123 the market will get flooded with these by those with N.A.S when the the new one is released hang fore for the bargains!

He goes on to say he would rather have the 70-300 VR or the 85 1.8.

Each to his own.

Amazing how someone can become such an expert from just a picture of a lens :D:D:D

I agree totally Andy.

I cannot work out how the 70-200 is worth so much more than the 80-200,God knows how they work the latest price for version 2.

I firmly believe they are taking the pee.

I've said it before and I' say it again, the 80-200 is the "bargain" of the Nikon range (y)

I agree with sdb123 the market will get flooded with these by those with N.A.S when the the new one is released hang fore for the bargains!

Well, I have a serious case of NAS. Always have and always will. However, you will have to prise my 70-200 out of my cold lifeless hands. I will NOT be getting the new one at that price (unless i won the lottery last night, in which case I'll buy you all one :D:D)

You can still find them new if you look really hard. Secondhand is better. The AF-S version is the one you want (or at least the one i would want)

Is it that the 80-200 hasnt got VR why its much cheaper or does it have VR now

Well, I have a serious case of NAS. Always have and always will. However, you will have to prise my 70-200 out of my cold lifeless hands. I will NOT be getting the new one at that price (unless i won the lottery last night, in which case I'll buy you all one :D:D)

Barney, I heard you won £6.70 on the euro millions last night so can i have my lens please:D

I to will wait for the multitude of S/H ones to appear on here:)

The 80-200mm has never had VR. It's cheaper because the 70-300mm came out. Optically there's not much if anything in it (I've owned the 80-200mm AF-D and hired the 70-200mm).

Is the 80 - 200 f2.8 still being made as my local camera shop told me it's been discontinued?

I think it's stilll being made, but not many uk retailers stock it

You can still find them new if you look really hard. Secondhand is better. The AF-S version is the one you want (or at least the one i would want)

When I was looking for one, the difference between a secondhand 80-200 AF-S and a secondhand 70-200 was only £100, which didn't make it a terribly good buy.

No VR and no AF-S

The 80-200mm has never had VR. It's cheaper because the 70-300mm came out. Optically there's not much if anything in it (I've owned the 80-200mm AF-D and hired the 70-200mm).

Are you saying there's not much in it optically between the above 3 lenses? If so the 70 - 300 VR is a bargain.

Are you saying there's not much in it optically between the above 3 lenses? If so the 70 - 300 VR is a bargain.

The 80-200 is vastly superior to the 70-300 VR in terms of optics. I couldn't believe the difference when I traded up. At £500 or so nowadays the 70-300 is anything but a bargain....

Sorry. Just re read your post and you mean there's not much in it between the 70 - 200 VR 2.8 and 80 - 200 2.8?

The 80-200 is vastly superior to the 70-300 VR in terms of optics. I couldn't believe the difference when I traded up. At £500 or so nowadays the 70-300 is anything but a bargain....

That was a typo by me. :bonk:

There have been 2nd hand 70-300mm VR's for under £300 on here.

Back