Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Any good

A colleague has got one last November.

It feels heavy, solid and well balanced, that's good. To me,
the two reasons I would not go for it is the aperture and the
non IF operation.

I had a chance, In December, to do some test shots with it
on my D800E
and the results are too breathtaking to ignore!

Thank you. Dont know much about this lens. Whats IF? Hoping to pair it with a D810 so aperture is ok for me.

I have one -assuming we are talking about the newest version. Got it as a lightweight multi purpose lens for my wife..
Truthfully, I have never got on with it BUT I may not be doing it justice.

I keep comparing it to the Nikon 70-200, 300mm & 400mm which I normally use.

I will be taking it to Cape Verde with me in 2 weeks (for Surfing & Kite Boarding) so will hope to give it a decent kicking then.

Yes I got one (take it your talking about the latest version), I think its great use mine a lot for superbikes.

A few random example from cadwell lest year

Josh by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Cadwell park bsb-5 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Cadwell park bsb-4 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

For a zoom its steller, its not as good as the 300mm f2.8 but you wouldn't expect it to. Had the old 300mm f4 at one time and I think for what I've used it for it as good at least. If you happy with the F5.6 at 400mm i dont think you can go wrong.

I have one -assuming we are talking about the newest version. Got it as a lightweight multi purpose lens for my wife..
Truthfully, I have never got on with it BUT I may not be doing it justice.

I keep comparing it to the Nikon 70-200, 300mm & 400mm which I normally use.

I will be taking it to Cape Verde with me in 2 weeks (for Surfing & Kite Boarding) so will hope to give it a decent kicking then.

Total agree with Pete but we are comparing to 3 of the best that Nikon make.

Mr Brookes does make it easy to take good pictures though Peter, mind you thats wide open at f5.6 so its no slouch this lens
Quite into bikes myself.....still riding after 35+ yrs. My son races in Superstock series, I'm looking forward to the Knockhill season starting within next month or so.

Does your lad just ride at knockhill or he dosen't come further south at all If he did I pop along and offer my support. So what you riding now Peter?
He lives on the Isle Of Wight, he must ride the local circuits in/around lower UK I'm guessing (Marc McCullough). After having nearly every bike over the years I've been riding a (2008) Suzuki V-Strom DL1000, ticks all the boxes.

Sorry to go off topic, mod's, please delete if necessary.

Yes I got one (take it your talking about the latest version), I think its great use mine a lot for superbikes.

A few random example from cadwell lest year

Josh by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Cadwell park bsb-5 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Cadwell park bsb-4 by Graham Norton, on Flickr

For a zoom its steller, its not as good as the 300mm f2.8 but you wouldn't expect it to. Had the old 300mm f4 at one time and I think for what I've used it for it as good at least. If you happy with the F5.6 at 400mm i dont think you can go wrong.

These are superb and a fine example of what this lens can do .

Thanks guys. Use a 1DX and 500 f4 for wildlife mainly but this lens and D810 would be my back up wildlife setup.

Gary I have one for my D800. The VR is excellent nothing to worry about there nor is focus speed as that is fast as well. If I can find any faults with it would be the collar ring base is far too short (1.5 inches long). There is this which is claimed to be better.

Best used with a tripod or monopod as it is quite a weighty lens, not one for carrying in an all day shoot without aformentioned.

Link should be able to get un the UK as well

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/980491-REG/kirk_nc_80_400gn_lens_collar_for_nikkor.html

Last edited:
The weight is good for me. I have a Canon 100-400 MkII and I carry this on my 1DX on a Cotton Carriers harness, which for me is the best way of carry this type of set up as I usually have a pair of binos as well. Nice to see that personal users of the lens seem to agree with the reviews of it.

Last edited:
Canon weight for 100-400mm lens = Weight (g) 1640
Nikon afs 80-400mm lens weight = Weight (g) 1570

Same lens and position unedited.
exif left to check if wanted (35 mm equivalent: 600.0 mm)

Camera Nikon D800 , lens Nikon AFS 80-400 mm f 4.5-5.6 G ED N

Spot focus on wheelie bin area, unedited as taken with skylight filter (clear)

DX mode =600mm (unedited)

FX mode 400mm unedited

12 mm to give some idea On D300 taken from same position

600mm edited version

Last edited:
Coming into this late. I had the older Nikon 80 400 AF VR lens and have been using it for wildlife and aviation photography. I went into Calumet Drummond Street today and picked up the newer version. After just a few initial shots the pictures seem sharper and the AF is certainly faster. The tripod foot is dreadful, what were Nikon thinking ?.

I generally use it on a D3 body, but have also just purchased a D810, so looking forward to trying it on that.

Coming into this late. I had the older Nikon 80 400 AF VR lens and have been using it for wildlife and aviation photography. I went into Calumet Drummond Street today and picked up the newer version. After just a few initial shots the pictures seem sharper and the AF is certainly faster. The tripod foot is dreadful, what were Nikon thinking ?.

I generally use it on a D3 body, but have also just purchased a D810, so looking forward to trying it on that.
Get yourself the kirk foot it's amazing in comparison, this lens is the one I really regret selling it was so versatile and blisteringly fast autofocus

Thanks I intend to do that. Just one thing £150 for a tripod foot ? The new lens appears a great improvement on the old lens

I see that RRS also do a foot. The foot on the previous lens version was useful also as a stand/handle for the lens.

Just keep eye on eBay and wex for used too occasionally come up there think I paid just under 100 on wex used (was like new)

Back