Nikon AFs suggestions

Edit My Images
Yes
I like dabbling about with the Nikon V1 and Nikon V2 I have - they're pretty good and quite enjoyable. Lens wise I've got a couple of 1 series and the FT1 but I'm really after some not too highly priced AFS lens. Canon wise, I love the 200mm 2.8 which goes amazingly on the R and the Micro 4/3 Panasonic too. Is there anything anyone can recommend in AFS or HSM or Tamron HSM that might fit the bill? I'm guess around the 100mm plus preferably relatively small (the 200mm 2.8 is only about 8 inches and only weighs about 1.5 lbs ) then that would be good... Nothing off the table!

From (unreliable!) memory, I changed the Tamron 18-250 (or similar) that I had for a Nikkor 18-200 because the Tamron didn't work on the V1/FT1. The 18-200 is (IMO) a great companion to a 1 series.

From (unreliable!) memory, I changed the Tamron 18-250 (or similar) that I had for a Nikkor 18-200 because the Tamron didn't work on the V1/FT1. The 18-200 is (IMO) a great companion to a 1 series.

I had that 18-200 but just wasn’t sharp enough! [emoji23]

Haven't used any bright long glass on my NikonV's/FT1 but the following work really well:

af-p VR 70-300 DX ( and the FX version ) these are nearly as sharp as the native CX 70-300. Unfortunately you've got only 6.3 or 5.6 at the long end.
af-s 300E pf ( and the tc 14ii or iii. work exceptionally well - as sharp or sharper than the aforementioned CX native long lens.

I've used all of these as well as longer lenses eg sig 100-400

Unfortunately, as I guess you know, Nikon don't do anything like that nice canon 200/2.8 ( or several other Canon dslr lenses that I can think of where there is no Nikon equivalent ). We are expected the buy the 2k+ 70-200 FL I guess.

In manual focus the AFD 180/2.8 and the 200/4 ais are great lenses - the former benefits from the electronic contacts and you can use a magnifier tool to assist in focussing. The ais has no focus assist available on Nikon 1 bodies.

I know a few people on the dpreview Nikon 1 talk forum use the sigma 135/1.4 art - great lens but pricey - it works very well on the V's by all accounts.

If you are looking at Tamrons be careful: some models/Firmware versions don't work with some versions of the FT1 firmware and also some bodies wont work. For example my tam g2 150-600 works OK on the v2 and FT1 firmware 1.2 but isn't recognised by the V3.
I

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't used any bright long glass on my NikonV's/FT1 but the following work really well:

af-p VR 70-300 DX ( and the FX version ) these are nearly as sharp as the native CX 70-300. Unfortunately you've got only 6.3 or 5.6 at the long end.
af-s 300E pf ( and the tc 14ii or iii. work exceptionally well - as sharp or sharper than the aforementioned CX native long lens.

I've used all of these as well as longer lenses eg sig 100-400

Unfortunately, as I guess you know, Nikon don't do anything like that nice canon 200/2.8 ( or several other Canon dslr lenses that I can think of where there is no Nikon equivalent ). We are expected the buy the 2k+ 70-200 FL I guess.

In manual focus the AFD 180/2.8 and the 200/4 ais are great lenses - the former benefits from the electronic contacts and you can use a magnifier tool to assist in focussing. The ais has no focus assist available on Nikon 1 bodies.

I know a few people on the dpreview Nikon 1 talk forum use the sigma 135/1.4 art - great lens but pricey - it works very well on the V's by all accounts.

If you are looking at Tamrons be careful: some models/Firmware versions don't work with some versions of the FT1 firmware and also some bodies wont work. For example my tam g2 150-600 works OK on the v2 and FT1 firmware 1.2 but isn't recognised by the V3.
I

Hmm thanks fir the advice! I’ve just really enjoying the bigger aperture and considering the extra zoom that you get on 1 series, it’s a shame not to take advantage! Just wish Nikon had done a lens like canon.. ticks so many boxes!

Wondering now, I've found the lens that would do me - either the Nikon 50mm 1.4 AFS or the Nikon 85mm 1.4 AFS - but that's a shiny dollar or two! Now regarding the larger 70-300; Would anyone say the AF using the DX 70-300 AFS and AFP would be worse than using the native 70-300 CX...?

The afp’s have the same drive as the native lenses and are nearly as fast. Forget the afs versions of the 70-300’s

I can check again tomorrow when there is light re afp fx vs cx 70-300. I sold the afp dx.

The afp’s have the same drive as the native lenses and are nearly as fast. Forget the afs versions of the 70-300’s

I can check again tomorrow when there is light re afp fx vs cx 70-300. I sold the afp dx.

Okay thank you!! So you’re saying that AFP is a good enough 70-300 on average over the older AFS 70-300? That’s a bit of a cost saving too I think!

Okay thank you!! So you’re saying that AFP is a good enough 70-300 on average over the older AFS 70-300? That’s a bit of a cost saving too I think!

OK - some quick side by side tests on my 2 V2’s. afp 70-300 fx and cx vr 70-300.

checked in afs and afc. Obviously only single area is available with the ft1.

cant separate them - just possibly the afp is a bit faster.

don’t have the afp dx version any more but i remember it was as fast as the fx.

when I said don’t bother with the af-s lenses I meant specifically the previous versions of the 70-300 from nikon - the afp versions are so much better in focus speed and optics.

the 300E pf af-s f4 is also superb on the nikon 1’s -at a price.

There is tons of info on the afp’s on the “nikon 1 talk” sub forum on dpreview if you search for it. The general opinion of the afp vr ( note the vr version only ) dx 70-300 is that it is a good close second to the native lens. It is more susceptible to veiling glare though but a hood should sort most of that.

OK - some quick side by side tests on my 2 V2’s. afp 70-300 fx and cx vr 70-300.

checked in afs and afc. Obviously only single area is available with the ft1.

cant separate them - just possibly the afp is a bit faster.

don’t have the afp dx version any more but i remember it was as fast as the fx.

when I said don’t bother with the af-s lenses I meant specifically the previous versions of the 70-300 from nikon - the afp versions are so much better in focus speed and optics.

the 300E pf af-s f4 is also superb on the nikon 1’s -at a price.

There is tons of info on the afp’s on the “nikon 1 talk” sub forum on dpreview if you search for it. The general opinion of the afp vr ( note the vr version only ) dx 70-300 is that it is a good close second to the native lens. It is more susceptible to veiling glare though but a hood should sort most of that.

Wow thanks for your effort Richard! I've ordered the 70-300 AFP as I can't quite justify the native 1 series 70-300, which should arrive soon! Very excited for it - and thank yo very much for taking the time to try this all out!

you are welcome

if it’s the 70-300 dx version make sure it is the VR one

they also make a non VR version ( same optics ) often sold as a kit lens

Hmmm! So I went with the Nikon AFP 70-300 VR > this one https://www.onbuy.com/gb/nikon-af-p...N_KwkpdYrlBRQpfKpTwaAq0iEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

But it doesn't work on the V2 and V1... just flashes the aperture.. am I missing something?

That link shows the non VR one I’m afraid

This is the VR version:

The nikon marketing site says that it is compatible although the non vr version is not specifically mentioned on the ft1 compatibility list

It’s often the firmware on the ft1 - have you got the latest version 1.2 ?

Also worth updating the firmware on the bodies

NOTE: If you have any Tamrons - they may or may not work or continue to work if you update the original ft1 firmware to 1.2 - and it’s irreversible.

My bad, definitely the one in the link you posted, the VR one. I've just checked the firmware on the V2 and it says its: A 1.22, B1.21 and L 1.00 and S is just blank.. unless I'm missing something?

No, I've only got this AFP lens so that's fine, no tamprons at all!

My bad, definitely the one in the link you posted, the VR one. I've just checked the firmware on the V2 and it says its: A 1.22, B1.21 and L 1.00 and S is just blank.. unless I'm missing something?

No, I've only got this AFP lens so that's fine, no tamprons at all!

ok the v2 has the latest firmware (a and b ) and L is the firmware version for the FT1 - I suggest you try updating that to 1.2

Back