TPer Emeritus
Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
nikon.gif

Capture NX
pix-leeg.gif
Capture NX™ is a revolutionary image editing application designed specifically for digital photographers irrespective of their chosen file format.
Designed by photographers for photographers, Capture NX makes refined image enhancement simplicity itself for anyone irrespective of their skill level.
Powerful, and yet simple to use, this software permits changes to be made to specific areas of an image by a simple point and click and removes the need for complex masking or layering techniques.
Create or modify image enhancements repeatedly without degrading the quality of the image data. Additional dedicated tools are available for those using the NEF (Raw) file format such as correcting lens distortions and vignette.
Image adjustments are both independent and fully variable: this eliminates the need for multiple ‘undo’ steps and allows you to exercise complete control over all aspects of the image.
The original image data within the file is always preserved allowing an infinite number of variations to be created and stored without the need to make duplicates of the original source data – a feature that saves enormous amounts of disk space. Capture NX. Photo Editing for Photographers.

Key Features
1. Intuitive image adjustment: Capture NX enables each step of the editing process to be undone at any time, enabling complete freedom to revisit earlier changes without undoing those in between.
2. Control Points: these are selected stored points of adjustment that affect areas of similar tone or color. Adjustments can be made to colors from the spectrum, or to natural colors such as skin, foliage and sky.
3. Handles: the revolutionary user interface features sliders – called ‘handles’ - that control the strength of various parameters whilst editing. Handles are situated at the point of control, allowing adjustments to be applied directly to an image whilst keeping attention focused on the affected area.
4. Pop-out tools: curves and levels adjustment windows pop out when needed and pop back when not in use.
5. Nikon Capture NX can accept Nikon’s range of nik Multimedia filter plug-ins and is compatible with NEF format images that are created by all Nikon cameras.
6. Windows 2000, XP, XP-64 Mac OS X (version 10.2.8 or later)7. European Languages: English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Swedish.

Since Pixmantec is no more and Capture NX is supposed to be very good indeed, it would be really clever if they launched a version that could process RAW files from other makes. ;)

OMG! It's full of stars...........

Well, not quite, it seems a bit clunky and resource hungry but my desktop is rubbish so I can't say for sure. B&W conversions are lovely and control points work really well.

I may try and compose a more lucid review when I get to know it better!

I've been using this for two days now, and it's ace :D
For straight RAW > TIF conversions it's no different to Capture 4 - it's when you start to make adjustments that it comes into its own.

Can't get it - page cannot be displayed. tried the Nikon Pro site and it's listed as 'available soon'.
Grrr... wanted to play with this in Afghanistan...

Got it - now I just have to figure it all out...

Just had a quick go with this but it's not the most intuitive tool. I was trying for ages to get to grips with Curves (I currently use Elements), what a nightmare!

Tell me about it - where are all the shortcuts I'm used to? - have to re-learn everything.
Colour Temp and Levels took me 15 minutes to figure out... I still think I prefer CS2 for most things. A quick pre-edit using the RAW converter then into CS proper for the levels, sharpening and cropping (all of them bar levels stored as pre-sets according to the type of image I'm playing with). Takes me no more than 3 minutes per image.

silkstone said:
Since Pixmantec is no more and Capture NX is supposed to be very good indeed, it would be really clever if they launched a version that could process RAW files from other makes. ;)

...I noticed the other day that Pixmantec had been gobbled up by Adobe. Does this mean that the Rawshooter application will cease to be? (I was contemplating buying it the other day!)

Just downloaded the trial version of NX, and this is what I got after about 15 minutes playing straight after install.

The original pic was shot with a Nikkor 70-300 G kit lens (hence the low contrast and dull colours), but 5 steps afterwards in NX and I got the 2nd pic.

Just thought I'd share...

#1 - Before
Owl_Pre_NX.jpg

#2 - After
Owl_Post_NX.jpg

The software IS a little on the clunky side, but if you can tolerate that, it looks like it's gonna be a breeze to use...

EDIT: For those that are interested, the steps I used were as follows:

1. Alter the colour and saturation on the grass - it looked completely washed out in the original - 4 colour correction points via duplication
2. Warm up the owl - 2 colour correction points via duplication
3. Adjust the levels using black and white correction points
4. Resize
5. Blended high-pass filter to sharpen the image a little

I've been using it since it came out too... Bloomin brilliant!

Nikon have just announced an upgrade offer, giving a cashback sum.

Problem is so far I can't work out what it's value is. The link on their website takes me to a page in Dutch .... :(

Other than that I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Easier to use than PS - just vwish it had a 'clone' tool ....

I think the cashback offer is £50, but I don't know what the upgrade price from Capture 4.4 is

It's an offer which has to be completed by 17th November. You need to send a copy of your NX receipt (I think it's retailing around £119) and you need to register your Capture 4.x 'key' on a web page. I just couldn't find anything about how much.....

Ah, I see they've corrected the link. I was looking this morning.

Now all I've got to do is find my Capture disk :( (and find some money)

Back