Nikon Coolpix P1000 camera finally announced with 24-3000mm

My friend let me have a go with his p900 impressive zoom range but I found the lack of clarity in the VF hard to get used to at high zooms,can't imagine wat 3000 will be like

They need to put this lens into something I can use on my DSLR. Oh, and f2.8 too, please Nikon.

I bought a p900 a couple of years ago ,took it back to the shop next day and got a refund ,total joke

I didnt see anything wrong with it for what it was.

P900 full zoom hand held

DSCN1444 by electric.mike, on Flickr

DSCN1171 by electric.mike, on Flickr

Nikon P900 by electric.mike, on Flickr

It was never going to be a top birding camera and i dont think the new one will be but it was great fun.

Great shots and certainly rubbishes the reviews that say it is unusable without a tripod at 2000mm.
Looks like a bit of fun, so I just had to order a P900. Should be here in France next week, can’t wait to have a play.

Great shots and certainly rubbishes the reviews that say it is unusable without a tripod at 2000mm.
Looks like a bit of fun, so I just had to order a P900. Should be here in France next week, can’t wait to have a play.

Thanks, it is a bit of a learning curve, if i was you i would use it on continuous and take 3 or 4 shots of each bird until you feel you can nail it with one.

They may as well milk the gimmick. You'll get as good quality images cropping the bejaysis out of FF images from a 300mm though

They may as well milk the gimmick. You'll get as good quality images cropping the bejaysis out of FF images from a 300mm though
That’s something I’ll have a go at. I have a D750 and a 300mm lens, I’ll see how cropped FF image compares to a fully zoomed image from the P900. I’m guessing the 300mm lens might struggle to see what the P900 can though.

3000mm, You'd normally get your Tripod our to stop Camera shake, though this Image Stabilization these days seems so good!

That’s something I’ll have a go at. I have a D750 and a 300mm lens, I’ll see how cropped FF image compares to a fully zoomed image from the P900. I’m guessing the 300mm lens might struggle to see what the P900 can though.

I'd like to see the results, as these bridge cams are basically just that, cropped down a lot.

3000mm equiv zoom, that's amazing, says up to 4x digital zoom too so 12000mm :eek:

It looks bigger than my Panasonic G9 + 100-400mm lens!!! Mind you I could see me treating myself if the price eventually drops far enough, ;)

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ60 and its focal range is 24 - 720mm and its quite the novelty when you full zoom in and see stuff you can't normally see, and then zooming back out to see how far back you are. At times, I never tire of this. I've seen how far the P900 can zoom in and it's quite impressive. Image quality was never going to be on par than a DSLR but I would imagine in most circumstances, it's usable .

I'd like to see the results, as these bridge cams are basically just that, cropped down a lot.
P900 arrived today, and so far I am impressed. Not had a chance to use it much, but I did take a shot of my neighbours house a ( couple of Km away) at full zoom then the same shot with my D750 and a 70-300VR lens. P900 was straight out of the camera, D750 was a raw image with a bit of minor tweaking and exported as a jpeg.
I cropped the D750 image to the same size as the P900’s image and the difference in detail was obvious.
The D750 image in this instance was nothing like as good as the P900
I’ll try and post the images tomorrow if I have time.

So, here are the images, they weren't the ones I took yesterday though, it was very dull here then. Todays pics, though still overcast today, are a bit clearer. Minor tweaks to shadows and highlights to the D750 image and the same to the P900. No added sharpening or any other adjustments to either.
Of course, zooming in to crop on the P900 at this distance results in a fuzzy watercolour type image, so the P900 certainly can't compete with resolution
P900 was taken at 1/250 @ƒ6.5 and iso400 at 2000mm equivalent.
D750 1/250 @ ƒ5.6 and iso200 at 300mm.

I took a few images and all turned out similar.

P900

House P900.jpg

D750
House D750.jpg

A friend of mine has the P900 and recently took it on Safari to Botswana as appose to his Canon and multiples lenses and i couldn't fault the image quality even at range. They have their place in the market and i can see this one being popular as well.

So, here are the images, they weren't the ones I took yesterday though, it was very dull here then. Todays pics, though still overcast today, are a bit clearer. Minor tweaks to shadows and highlights to the D750 image and the same to the P900. No added sharpening or any other adjustments to either.
Of course, zooming in to crop on the P900 at this distance results in a fuzzy watercolour type image, so the P900 certainly can't compete with resolution
P900 was taken at 1/250 @ƒ6.5 and iso400 at 2000mm equivalent.
D750 1/250 @ ƒ5.6 and iso200 at 300mm.

I took a few images and all turned out similar.

P900

View attachment 132399

D750
View attachment 132400

Not bad at all

It will never replace my D750, but it’s very light and the images, as long as you don’t crop at the longer zoom ranges, are very good.
I took a shot of a plane flying overhead at 35000 ft. You could read the lettering on the fuselage very clearly and see all the windows! Great fun. Looking to get a video of the moon tonight.
If nothing else, it’s getting me out of the house taking pictures....

Been looking at the P1000 and note the following

Yes, the sensor is more in line with a phone than a FF DSLR
Yes, IQ suffers at the extreme end of the zoom, IQ degredation and CA apparent.
It is larger than any other bridge or P&S, the lens diameter is the same as the Canon 100-400 or Nikon 80-400, 77mm
Improvements over the P900, better EVF, ability to shoot RAW, although in some scene modes, such as Bird, will only shoot JPEG
Buffer will only hold 7 shots before camera becomes unresponsive. Someone tested this and found 7 JPEG's took 3 seconds to clear.
Not water resistant
The tripod mount is on the camera body, so when zoomed out it will tend to sag.

However, one reason I haven't done much bird photography away from the garden this year, is that I have taken too many photographs of distant birds, which, when cropped, the focal point is not on the bird's head/eye

It will never replace my D750, but it’s very light and the images, as long as you don’t crop at the longer zoom ranges, are very good.
I took a shot of a plane flying overhead at 35000 ft. You could read the lettering on the fuselage very clearly and see all the windows! Great fun. Looking to get a video of the moon tonight.
If nothing else, it’s getting me out of the house taking pictures....

I recently picked up the poor poor poor mans version of this (I think!) the Kodak AZ901! Struggling tog e much decent out of this, but I'm holding on for a bit longer before admitting defeat!

Back