would like a 20 - 300 appox size
but would like to spend less than £150 if i can

any help? / ideas

many thanks
wol

p.s this is on ebay
advise please
PHOENIX 28-210mm IF f/4.2-6.5 AF Lens for Nikon D100 D200 D700 £110

You won't get a single lens in that range, I can think of a few 28-300's, there is a Tamron 28-300, not used it...

28mm won't be that wide on youe camera either.

I would go for:

1) Nikon 18-55
2) Nikon 55-200

Should be under £150 with excellent optics.

Anything over 200mm is going to be a push for your budget while maintaining quality.

I've got a 28-300 thats not getting used at the moment. Needs a repair to the focus ring and front elements, but it works perfectly fine otherwise.

thewol, I'd possibly look to a slightly lower zoom range, something like a 18-135. Nikon does a fairly good one that was a standard 'kit' lens at one time but you're looking at around £200 for one, but that's good value considering a zoom range that will give you a wide end for landscapes and a long end (135mm) for portraits and telephoto work.

What about something like a Tamron 18-200mm f3.4/6.3 XR Di II? It's a pretty wide ranging and although we're not talking a pro-spec lens, it'll certainly be good enough if you're just starting out.

I wouldn't limit yourself to just a long lens like a 70-300mm if it's going to be your only lens (unless your mad keen on wildlife or motorsports).

Or you can look here for a bargain from another member. Then you could get something like a Nikon 18-55mm for less than £100 and Robert's your father's brother - you have a wide range zoom :)

Back