Nikon D200 Upgrade

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Evening all.

First time poster so go easy and before anyone says anything, yes I know the D200 is something of a relic these days. It was a hand me down from my dad and I've had a couple of years decent shooting out of it but I'm looking at an upgrade. I have a Nikkor 18-300 VR which I want to keep as it does pretty much what I need it to.

The million dollar question; what to go for?

I'm swaying towards a D7100 or D7200, but is there a discernable difference between the two units?

I should point out that the D200 is the only camera I have ever shot with so the controls are familiar. The options I posted above should give you an idea of budget but I'd like to stay well under £800 if I can, I'm also happy to go 2nd hand if from a reputable supplier.

I shoot a mix of everything really, we're lucky enough to live 15 mins from RAF Scampton so the Red Arrows feature quite heavily in my shots but I'm also doing some wedding and family shoots later in the year.

Cheers! Robbo

If you want the controls to feel familiar then you want a D300 or D500. The D300 is an upgrade in terms of image quality but not as much as can easily be achieved otherwise.

Personally, I'd go for either a D7000 (cheap but good and a definite sensor upgrade) or D7200 (as good as it gets without buying a D500). The D7100 is a bit meh between those options for me, neither as good value as the D7000 nor as good as the D7200.

If you can get a second hand D500 in your budget then weh-hay!

If you want the controls to feel familiar then you want a D300 or D500. The D300 is an upgrade in terms of image quality but not as much as can easily be achieved otherwise.

Personally, I'd go for either a D7000 (cheap but good and a definite sensor upgrade) or D7200 (as good as it gets without buying a D500). The D7100 is a bit meh between those options for me, neither as good value as the D7000 nor as good as the D7200.

If you can get a second hand D500 in your budget then weh-hay!

Sadly the 500 looks out of budget. 7200 2nd hand for £600 with 8k actualisations. Leaves some change for new glass, maybe a 18-55mm "everyday" lens.

D300, would be the same as the D200 but better insides, plus £300 should get you a very good one.

I up graded from the D200 to the D300 and there is a marked difference in picture quality. I kept my D300 as a backup it is too good to not keep. Now main camera is the D800

Last edited:
D7000 my advice, I was torn between this or a D7200 and for the money, the 7000 won hands down as IQ is fantastic for a 16mp sensor and using the same lens on the wifes old D3200 24mp there really was no difference in IQ from the 16mp so I saved some cash and went for the D7000

Back