Nikon D200 Vs Fuji S5 Pro

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon all,

after ordering the D300 only two days ago i did think about waiting and was in no rush to get one, but with the price and an email from Ebay i was forced into getting it :LOL:

anyways that aside, the plan was to in the coming months get a second body again (you will say why get rid of the D200 but at the time its been for the best) so the two i am thinking about is the above

they seem to be identical but which would people say is the overall better camera?

in no rush at all to get either (or even both)

thought about the D300 for sports and then a Fuji for Landscapes or even the walkbout (with 17-55 or even get a standard kit lens (18-70) for it)

but which would be the better camera as a better walkabout/landscaper? or is the D300 better than both? seeing alot of fantastic images from the Fuji which is making me wonder :LOL:

compatible with Nikon lenses, great, Cheap (ish) great, can take the nikon grip (=2 batteries) great, but whats peoples thought and opinions on these? or will a D200 still be beter?

Thanks

I have a D300 and the S5 Pro. They go together very nicely.

Pretty sure the same question was asked about 3 weeks ago, could with worth hunting it down. I know a put a few replies into it...

I thought it was something like the S5 was great for portraits and weddings, requires a lot of post processing to get the best from it. The D200 was a better all rounder and for pics straight out the cam.

The D300 I thought was meant to be quite an advance on both in terms of IQ? I'm only quoting what I have read not from experience. I too am interested in this very point.

Psifox would be good if you could elaborate! :LOL: Which is the all rounder and why would you need an s5 if you have a 300, or vice-versa?

Sorry trying to work and post,

the S5 is a great camera for using in tricky lighting situations with light in the shot varying from very dark to bright. The dynamic range of the S5 sensor allows for much more detail to be pulled out of tricky exposures than may otherwise be easily achieved.

I use the S5 for mainly landscape/portrait with the D300 being kept for wildlife fast action work and higher iso situations.

That said if you look on Flickr there are plenty of shots of race cars and planes taken on the S5.

just found that topic, thanks Andy, some interesting results in there

as said it wont be for a couple of months (unless they go down alot in the sales soon) so in no rush to walk out and buy one, just looking at pro's and con's

I ordered the Fuji S5 3 weeks ago going from a Nikon D80. It was my choice due to the better dynamic range than anything else out in the current market and will be using it for landscapes. Still waiting for Devon Camera to get it back in stock though so I can have it delivered:bang:

I was always very happy with the S5 Pro for landscapes, I've heard a few people say that its rather low resolution, but I've done some A3 prints in comparison to the D200 (I took both of the same trip) and printed at A3 the S5 Pro is giving up nothing in resolution - but with better DR.

I might be able to make a NEF and RAF pair available for folks to try this for themselves...

If the S5 has 2 6.1mp sensors, then how can you get the most out of them to achieve 12mp or is it not possible?

If the S5 has 2 6.1mp sensors, then how can you get the most out of them to achieve 12mp or is it not possible?

No its a 6 megapixel camera. The other 6 megapixels is used for DR. It doesn't increase horizonal and vertical resolution.

Where the S5 wins hands down is with the quality of the out of camera JPEGs several decades of film know-how by Fujifilm coupled with Nikon lens quality make a great combination.

It is possible to get 12MP files from the camera but they are interpolated, some sources do state that the 'real' effective resolution is nearer 8 MP but most people are simply won over by it's colour and tone rendering. The .RAF files are cumbersome, but when run through Lightroom or ACR there is extra data in the apparently 'blown' highlights that would have been lost even to a D3 or 1D. Don't buy the S5 if you want blistering speed or high ISO performance, noise is well controlled but the wide dynamic range tends to peter out above about ISO 800

Back