NIKON D3 - VERY GOOD VALUE?

EdinburghGary

Reply not Report
Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
What would you consider is a good price for a brand new Nikon D3? (brand new from a shop / web site)

Gary.

£2750? It's about £2700 in HK, so if you could get that over here I'd consider it "very good value".

There are warrenty issues in that if anything goes wrong in the first year you have to ship it back to them in Hong Kong to sort out.

After that it's the same as anything is it not?? (plus I've just sorted out specific camera insurance with Photoguard recently)

I know what you mean about buying in person from a store - but why really? You can get it delivered to your door and you save £450.

EDIT - I should also add that if you get stung for import duty tax they will refund you (like one stop digital do). I didn't get stung by the way.

There are warrenty issues in that if anything goes wrong in the first year you have to ship it back to them in Hong Kong to sort out.

Then it's cheap but not good value.

If you want good value check out CameraPriceBuster. They'll show you what the current cheapest price is without having to resort to imports with no UK warranty. You're talking about a £2750+ camera here, is it really worth the risk?

It is a risk I agree. What's life without a bit of risk though eh ;)

Bit different now though, as at the time I bought mine the UK prices were still really really high (I think £3,350 was the cheapest I could find at the time) so I decided that the huuuuge saving (about £600) getting it from Honk Kong was well worth it actually.

Given that you can now get it in the UK for under 3k though, I would get it from here now. And looking at camerapricebuster Purely Gadgets are doing it for £2769, which is pretty amazing/ annoying!

I got my D200 from an Ebay site in Hong Kong. If I had known that Nikon UK wouldn't touch it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I've never been confident in the camera, but unless I could compare another D200 side by side, I've just had to live with it. It is probably OK and just a bit more work than the D70 I had, but without the ultimate option of sending it to Nikon, I'll never know for sure.

Buyer beware. ;)

I got my D200 from an Ebay site in Hong Kong. If I had known that Nikon UK wouldn't touch it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I've never been confident in the camera, but unless I could compare another D200 side by side, I've just had to live with it. It is probably OK and just a bit more work than the D70 I had, but without the ultimate option of sending it to Nikon, I'll never know for sure.

Buyer beware. ;)

What's wrong with your D200? Also, if it's more than a year old then it's out of warrenty anyway so I don't see it as such a major issue. Providing nothing goes wrong in the first year of course.

What's wrong with your D200? Also, if it's more than a year old then it's out of warrenty anyway so I don't see it as such a major issue. Providing nothing goes wrong in the first year of course.

1) The odds are higly stacked in favour of the fact that if it's going to go wrong because of a manufacturing default then it will go wrong in the first year.

2) Nikon are offering 2 year warranties on D300's and D3's (and possibly their other bodies too)

3) Your statutory rights mean that you have recourse to the manufacturer even if things go wrong after the warranty has expired. If you buy from outside the UK though your rights are limited to those of the country you purchased the item from.

As someone else said, buyer beware.

Just bought it from Jessops. £2,850. I also got a Nikon Zoom-Nikkor AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G ED (what a mouthful, thank god for Copy and Paste! :D)

Chuffed :D

Gary.

Just bought it from Jessops. £2,850. I also got a Nikon Zoom-Nikkor AF-S 14-24 mm f/2.8G ED (what a mouthful, thank god for Copy and Paste! :D)

Gary.

Good job, that's not a bad price too considering all of the above. (y)

Would you like to do a trade though Gary? Your brand spankin new D3 for my eternal gratitude and a nice jar of home-made jam? We do have raspberry?......

Gary.

Nice one! Would love to hear what you think of the 14-24. I'm still in a dilemma over a wide angle lens for the D3. Was all set to go the cheaper route (Tamron 17-35 was looking good) but now I really don't know.

Please tell me it's rubbish

Nice one! Would love to hear what you think of the 14-24. I'm still in a dilemma over a wide angle lens for the D3. Was all set to go the cheaper route (Tamron 17-35 was looking good) but now I really don't know.

Please tell me it's rubbish

Well I can go out and take some shots in an hour, nothing fancy, just a test so to speak.

Initially I suspect it's a lot sharper than my Sigma 10-20 on the D200 - althought I have always maintained I had a "soft sigma" - never got the results I wanted and have seen elsewhere...

I will let you know shortly. I opted for this instead of the 2.8 telephoto, as apparently a new one is just around the corner...

Gary.

Can you let me know what "tests" to do, aperture, what focal length, etc etc - just so I don't miss a "test" you want...

I will go to Calton Hill I think.

Gary.

Can you let me know what "tests" to do, aperture, what focal length, etc etc - just so I don't miss a "test" you want...

I will go to Calton Hill I think.

Gary.

Cheers Gary :) I'd be most interested in shots and what you think of it at the 14mm end and at f2.8 f8 and f16. Go wiiiiiide!

The only thing that really puts me off about this lens (apart from the obvious - price) is the fact you can't put filters on it. A circular polarizer is a bit of must for me, I love em, so really don't know what to go for...

Cheers Gary :) I'd be most interested in shots and what you think of it at the 14mm end and at f2.8 f8 and f16. Go wiiiiiide!

The only thing that really puts me off about this lens (apart from the obvious - price) is the fact you can't put filters on it. A circular polarizer is a bit of must for me, I love em, so really don't know what to go for...

Yeah bit of a blow for me too! Never mind - shots will be up ASAP...

Gary.

You're a star, cheers Gary. Looks pretty good. If you get the chance to take some building shots (from the ground up) at 14mm could you post them up too?

What do you think of the lens? Do you really think it's worth the extra cash over say, the Sigma 10-20 which you've used (though you think you had a duffer?)

Hard to say as I really fell out with my Sigma. Trouble here is I am a complete novice, and really don't know how to give the lens a proper test. It seems much faster, and to me, much sharper. The edges of my sigma at 10mm were just crap.

Once I actually start using the camera for photo's I enjoy, landscapes, some fields, and buildings etc - in good light, then I will know for sure how much more I prefer it.

I like the feel of it so far :D

I will post some building shots later this afternoon / evening...

Gary.

Hard to say as I really fell out with my Sigma. Trouble here is I am a complete novice, and really don't know how to give the lens a proper test. It seems much faster, and to me, much sharper. The edges of my sigma at 10mm were just crap.

Once I actually start using the camera for photo's I enjoy, landscapes, some fields, and buildings etc - in good light, then I will know for sure how much more I prefer it.

I like the feel of it so far :D

I will post some building shots later this afternoon / evening...

Gary.

You say you're a novice yet you've bought a D3 and a Nikkor 14-24 :eek: - Some people round here might whip your ass for that :)

I've seen some of your pics recently and you won't be a novice for long mate (that's a compliment by the way!)

You say you're a novice yet you've bought a D3 and a Nikkor 14-24 :eek: - Some people round here might whip your ass for that :)

I've seen some of your pics recently and you won't be a novice for long mate (that's a compliment by the way!)

A: I'm just a little daft and way too compulsive

B: Your far too kind :D

Gary.

You trying to upset me?

Was it that obvious :bat:
Of course not, but alerting other people to the fact that there is a good deal this weekend can never be a bad thing (for the majority).

Was it that obvious :bat:
Of course not, but alerting other people to the fact that there is a good deal this weekend can never be a bad thing (for the majority).

You have a point :)

Back