Nikon D300s differences to D300

Name
Oscar Dewhurst
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone

I was planning to get a D300 soon (hopefully this month!! :D), but have just seeb that a D300s has been released. As I will hopefully be getting I second hand D300, the D300s would be at least £600 (as it's £1500) more expensive. Now, the question I'm asking is do you think i should get the d300s for the extra money or get a D300. One of the advantages to the D300s is the faster fps, but they are the same with the MB-D10 grip (8fps), and I do not particularly want video as I doubt tht i would use it much.

What do you guys think??

Thanks,

Oscar ;)

Well I recently bought a D300 and I'm kinda thinking I had waited as with the Release of the D300s, there's going to be alot of 2nd hand D300's for sale and the price might drop a bit on those due to the amount being sold on.

The D300s looks like a nice little upgrade over the D300, but £600 worth of upgrades, well only you can justify that.

If I was buying now I would be looking for a D300.

*Edit*

This may help, shows the difference's between the 2 camera's

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09073006d300Shandson.asp

Will you use the extra features? I cant see many people upgrading their D300 for the new one because of the huge cost for just a small benefit. Maybe used D300 prices will go up as people try to make as much money as they can to afford the new model! I cant see anything on it that would make me want to shell out another £600 though...
Allan

I cannot see any benefit in upgrading.

Sure, video sells on the point and shoot market, but anyone spending over £1k on a body dslr is a reasonably serious photographer and most will not be bothered by video.

Ok, slightly faster fps and a couple of other nice touches. If I was buying I would pay no more than £100 on top of a d300 for this. Depends on the actual selling price, but you could get a mint 2nd hand or new d300 and a second hand nikon 17-55 2.8 for example for the same or only a hundred or two more than the d300s.

No brainer imo

The only thing that I would find useful is the standalone button in the middle of the multi-way controller. Also, the separate live view button makes no sense to me when all the other shooting modes are on the dial...? :shrug:

same here basically, can't see any reason to upgrade from a D300 to the s version, you could buy a damn fine camcorder for les then the price difference and the other few spec differences are unlikely to make a difference to the 2nd hand market I think, I doubt it will be flooded with cheaper D300 bodies :shrug:

the sensible upgrade from the D300 is the D700, I doubt many people will add £750 to the secondhand value of the D300 to buy a D300s

The video function on a DSLR really puts me off , When I eventually come to upgrade from my D60 , I would imagine most of the Nikon range will have this feature , not sure as its a good thing though , as many people have said "if i want to shoot videos , i'd have bought a camcorder"

I also cannot see any reason for upgrading which is good news for me as funds are a bit tight at the moment ;)

The video function on a DSLR really puts me off , When I eventually come to upgrade from my D60 , I would imagine most of the Nikon range will have this feature , not sure as its a good thing though , as many people have said "if i want to shoot videos , i'd have bought a camcorder"

why would it put you off - you don't have to use it !

I guess the argument there is that they could price the camera lower if there was no video, and spend their R&D time on something more useful. Like an AF-S 80-400 perhaps? :D

regardless of whether you use it or not, you are paying for it, and whilst I am told they produce half decent videos, its not what I want in my dslr. Hell I can take videos pn my camera phone, and thats bad enough :razz: :LOL:

on the subject of faster fps with the 300S, can you not tweak the old 300 to give 8fps ?

on the subject of faster fps with the 300S, can you not tweak the old 300 to give 8fps ?

You can get it anyway by adding the battery grip [still cheaper than d300s] IIRC....in fact I think it may be higher than that, but as I dont need a grip or the frame rate.... :shrug:

Spot on - there are some YT vids explaining how, but I think it might be only available in an 8 shot burst rather than continuous. Not 100% on that last bit though.

£600 price difference is rather steep for the feature differences. For that price, I would go for the D700.

I will happily be sticking to my D300 (with grip if I need the fps) ;)

if u add the grip and the EN-EL4a battery and battery cover, you can get 8fps with the D300.

I guess the argument there is that they could price the camera lower if there was no video, and spend their R&D time on something more useful. Like an AF-S 80-400 perhaps? :D

regardless of whether you use it or not, you are paying for it, and whilst I am told they produce half decent videos, its not what I want in my dslr. Hell I can take videos pn my camera phone, and thats bad enough :razz: :LOL:

Exactly !

if u add the grip and the EN-EL4a battery and battery cover, you can get 8fps with the D300.

AA batteries in the grip also give the higher frame rate.

thanks tim
but if you use that you can only get 8fps for just over 1 second.

BUY! BUY! BUY!
Buy the new D300s!

Flood the market with pre-owned minty D300's so I can buy one at a sensible price!!

Seriously, this new D300s offers very little over the D300 and I doubt many people will be upgrading their D300's. The RRP of £1,499 is stupid money for this camera, you could get a new D700 for this money six months ago!

IMHO Nikon are testing the water with their absurd prices for their two new bodies and the 18-200 (which at long last has a zoom lock) just to see how stupid the Nikon diehards really are!

I have been a 'exclusively Nikon' bod for over 30 years owning everything from the FG20 to the D700 and I will now never buy another Nikon body at their currently absurd and grasping prices!:razz:

i have jus tfound out that I have the funds and all I need now is someone who wants a D300s and is going to sell his D300 for a good price!! :D ;)

AA batteries in the grip also give the higher frame rate.

There is a hack that allows you to get such fps without the grip, or anything else! It's a series of buttons to press on the D300's body that will take it to such high fps.

there's going to be alot of 2nd hand D300's for sale and the price might drop a bit on those due to the amount being sold on.

T
*Edit*

This may help, shows the difference's between the 2 camera's

Can't see this to be honest - theres' not enough in the D300s to entice D300 owners away from what they already have. For the price difference, new buyeres will be better off with a D300 so prices really wont fall off at all.

I agree that very few d300 owners will upgrade at current price, and I dont think a new buyer would go for 300s either as the d90 or 300 is pretty much the same (and in the case of the d90 half the price!), or you find another £200 and go d700.

There is a hack that allows you to get such fps without the grip, or anything else! It's a series of buttons to press on the D300's body that will take it to such high fps.

thanks, and i've seen a video of it on youtube on how to do it, but you can only do 8fps for just over 1 second.

:)

I reckon 8-fps is ample good enough .. considering you really don't need the grip :shrug:, which would only add another 1-fps and make the camera that much more bulky (OK, some do like it bulky and weighty).

I agree that very few d300 owners will upgrade at current price, and I dont think a new buyer would go for 300s either as the d90 or 300 is pretty much the same (and in the case of the d90 half the price!), or you find another £200 and go d700.

I can appreciate that the D300s is only £200 cheaper than the D700 but remember that jumping to the D700 would also mean a jump to full frame, whilst this is ok if all the lenses that you have are compatible with FX bodies, if they're not then it would cost you a lot more than £200 difference to replace your DX lenses with their FX equivalent.

And also, you cant really compare the D300/300s to the D90 as they are a completely different camera, one is a professional model and the other a prosumer with a different range of features, different build quality and also the addition of weather sealing.

EDIT: And also the fact that the D300/s is rated for a LOT more actuations than the D90 :)

i have a D300 ad its a great camera

but i have a very good HD 1080i / p camcorder, a JVC HD one worth about 500quid only paid 187.00 in the january sales, gone back up to 500 hundred now. with a 60quid voucher

i cant remember which one. and i dont need a D300s

The D300s isn't £200 less than a D700 as that's comparing the rrp of the D300s with the street price of the D700. The rrp of the D700 is £2100, the street price of the D300s will be nearer £1300...

It wouldn't surprise me if the D300 gets some of the D300s features via a firmware upgrade a la D70 and D2X - the D300 has always been capable of 8gps without the grip anyhow, so that would be an easy one.

Nikon could easily allow the D300 to do 7 (or even 8fps) if they wanted to.

Seems to me the pointless video function, had added £400 to a camera which is already pretty "toppy" price wise...

It wouldn't surprise me if the D300 gets some of the D300s features via a firmware upgrade a la D70 and D2X - the D300 has always been capable of 8gps without the grip anyhow, so that would be an easy one.

Nikon could easily allow the D300 to do 7 (or even 8fps) if they wanted to.

Seems to me the pointless video function, had added £400 to a camera which is already pretty "toppy" price wise...

If it turns out that there is a £400 premium for the 300s, it'll do wonders for the value of a used D300 :naughty:

Back