Nikon D3200 or Sony A37

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, you probably get these sort of mundane questions asked everyday, so i apologise in advanced.

I'm looking to make my first purchase, one of the two models listed in the title. Nothing fancy yet, as i wouldn't know how to get the best out of it! Which would you say is a better model to go for?

At the moment I am just using my iPhone to take pictures..

Cerb1.jpg

Thanks!

Go to a shop, pick them both up and see how you get on with them. They both will work, so choose the one that feels the best. Nikon probably have the best suite of lenses of the two makes (I am sure others would disagree), but it really comes down to personal preference.

I chose Nikon as I liked the feel of the camera. Canon just seemed flimsy. Didn't consider any other make.

Go to a shop, pick them both up and see how you get on with them. They both will work, so choose the one that feels the best. Nikon probably have the best suite of lenses of the two makes (I am sure others would disagree), but it really comes down to personal preference.

I chose Nikon as I liked the feel of the camera. Canon just seemed flimsy. Didn't consider any other make.

Ok thanks.

But with regards to spec are they pretty much on par with each other? I noticed the D3200 has a 24mp sensor compared to 16 for the A37. Does that make a difference? Or is the higher number of mp just useful if you were to blow up images to print etc?

First thing to decide is wether you prefer an ovf or an evf, as sensor aside that is the main difference between the two cameras. I have an A37 and like it a lot but I am happy with using an evf (electronic viewfinder), some people are not.

First thing to decide is wether you prefer an ovf or an evf, as sensor aside that is the main difference between the two cameras. I have an A37 and like it a lot but I am happy with using an evf (electronic viewfinder), some people are not.

I have used an evf before on friends a33, it didn't bother me at all. Not fussed either way.

I guess with these entry level DSLR's they are all pretty similar in performance and the lens will make the biggest difference? If so, i will go try them both out like suggested above.

I just don't know what i should be looking for. It will primarily be used for taking pictures of my snakes, as sad as that sounds!

Yes, the lens makes the biggest difference.

The 24mp sensor of the Nikon should resolve more fine detail (especially at low iso) and might be better if you intend to crop a lot or make large prints. The downsides are that the raw files will be much bigger and take up more space and the 24mp may only show it's best when used with good quality prime lenses.

Nikon has a standard hotshoe if you intend to use flash (although you can get an adapter for the Sony). The Sony has a tilting screen which can be quite useful (although it's a bit low resolution and the swivel screen on the next model up (A57) is much nicer.

There is a comparison review of entry dslrs here:
http://www.2cameraguys.com/cheapest-dslr-cameras-2012.htm

For what it's worth, this months Practical Photography magazine also has a similar comparison and they gave the Nikon D3200 their best buy or Gold award or whatever they call it.

Both are good cameras - think about what lenses you want to buy as well and yes, try both cameras in a shop. If you have used the A33 then I guess you will have a fair idea of what the A37 is like already as it's very similar. (I tried an A35 before I bought the A37 and they are almost identical).

For snakes, I guess you want to look at the minimum focus distance of the lens /lenses you want to use (assuming you will be quite close to them when taking photos), how fast the lens is (widest aperture, let's in more light eg f1.8) so better for taking pictures indoors in low light.

Nikon, but why not compare to D3100? It is over £100 difference between D3200.

If you want Sony, minimum I would get Sony A57.

Choose between there.

Nikon D3100 vs Sony A37
Nikon D3200 vs Sony A57

Personally I would go with Nikon but I'd get a D3100 rather than the D3200, I just can't see the value in the extra cost.

If it is a choice between the Sony A37 and the D3200 then I'd have to say the Nikon. But mainly because I don't like the size of the A37 and the way it feels in my hand. If you were comparing the A57 then I'd say the Sony for sure.

There are a lot of extra features on the Sony which might appeal to a first timer. It may also feel more intuitive too since when your eye isn't at the EVF, the Sony will switch to the LCD. Unlike a real SLR. I also find nowadays if you ask some randomer to take a photo they will automatically use the LCD to compose and sometimes get really confused using an OVF.

If you are a new starter you may also find the fact the Sony is pretty much WYSIWIG. Ie. What you see is what you get. So if the LCD looks too dark, your photo will be too. And vice versa. It's a pretty foolproof system. Also because of the EVF, it can put huge big green square around the face you are focusing on. Again perfect for an amateur shooter learning the ropes.

Oh and lastly remember Sony has in built image stabilisation meaning every lens you buy is instantly stabilised. Unlike Nikon/Canon where you'd have to pay extra for that feature.

If it is a choice between the Sony A37 and the D3200 then I'd have to say the Nikon. But mainly because I don't like the size of the A37 and the way it feels in my hand. If you were comparing the A57 then I'd say the Sony for sure.

There are a lot of extra features on the Sony which might appeal to a first timer. It may also feel more intuitive too since when your eye isn't at the EVF, the Sony will switch to the LCD. Unlike a real SLR. I also find nowadays if you ask some randomer to take a photo they will automatically use the LCD to compose and sometimes get really confused using an OVF.

If you are a new starter you may also find the fact the Sony is pretty much WYSIWIG. Ie. What you see is what you get. So if the LCD looks too dark, your photo will be too. And vice versa. It's a pretty foolproof system. Also because of the EVF, it can put huge big green square around the face you are focusing on. Again perfect for an amateur shooter learning the ropes.

Oh and lastly remember Sony has in built image stabilisation meaning every lens you buy is instantly stabilised. Unlike Nikon/Canon where you'd have to pay extra for that feature.

Second that. If you are after your first slr and have no issues using an EVF the a57 has many good features a beginner would like

(479 here - £50 cashback from sony! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...Digital+cameras%7C12109607.htm&referrer=COJUN)

Yes, the lens makes the biggest difference.

The 24mp sensor of the Nikon should resolve more fine detail (especially at low iso) and might be better if you intend to crop a lot or make large prints. The downsides are that the raw files will be much bigger and take up more space and the 24mp may only show it's best when used with good quality prime lenses.

Nikon has a standard hotshoe if you intend to use flash (although you can get an adapter for the Sony). The Sony has a tilting screen which can be quite useful (although it's a bit low resolution and the swivel screen on the next model up (A57) is much nicer.

There is a comparison review of entry dslrs here:
http://www.2cameraguys.com/cheapest-dslr-cameras-2012.htm

For what it's worth, this months Practical Photography magazine also has a similar comparison and they gave the Nikon D3200 their best buy or Gold award or whatever they call it.

Both are good cameras - think about what lenses you want to buy as well and yes, try both cameras in a shop. If you have used the A33 then I guess you will have a fair idea of what the A37 is like already as it's very similar. (I tried an A35 before I bought the A37 and they are almost identical).

For snakes, I guess you want to look at the minimum focus distance of the lens /lenses you want to use (assuming you will be quite close to them when taking photos), how fast the lens is (widest aperture, let's in more light eg f1.8) so better for taking pictures indoors in low light.

Thanks! I won't be making any large prints or anything like that.

I found that site just before you i read your reply, thanks. Quite a few sites have said the Sony is a better option to go for.

With all my snakes being venomous, there is a limit to how close i can get to them. What type of lenses give good clear zoom from say distances of up to 1m/1.5m? Are there good websites that explain everything there is to know about lenses?

If you want Sony, minimum I would get Sony A57.

Choose between there.

Nikon D3100 vs Sony A37
Nikon D3200 vs Sony A57

I originally thought the A57 was much more expensive, but it's still a good price. Jessops have it for £450 with the cash back.

Personally I would go with Nikon but I'd get a D3100 rather than the D3200, I just can't see the value in the extra cost.

Is there not much difference apart from the MP between the two?

Thanks for the info. I tried out the camera's today, i have to say I am now tending towards getting the A57 over the D3200. Not sure what i am basing that on however lol, just overall feel i guess.

Although i am sure with a novice like me, it won't matter what i get. However looking forward, when i am slightly more capable with a camera, the A57 would be a better option by the sounds of things.

Thanks for the info. I tried out the camera's today, i have to say I am now tending towards getting the A57 over the D3200. Not sure what i am basing that on however lol, just overall feel i guess.

Although i am sure with a novice like me, it won't matter what i get. However looking forward, when i am slightly more capable with a camera, the A57 would be a better option by the sounds of things.

Outgrowing any camera (even the most basic entry level ones) is something that won't come soon so just buy whatever makes you feel happier using. 16mps should be enough to print up to a1 for sure

Oooh in that case I'd definitely choose the A57.

There are many options which you just wouldn't get on the Nikon such as manual focus peaking which makes focusing manually an absolute doddle. Panoramic sweep and auto HDR features. Not to mention auto portrait framing which will help you compose your portrait photos. You also get object tracking which can come in handy now & then face recognition. So you can program in a few faces and it will prioritise those if it sees them when focusing. OK so many of these features are very rarely used but at least they are there!

Another thing I love about the whole SLT design is that you can easily review photos inside the EVF so you don't have to remove your eye. This comes in really handy for me when shooting groups as people don't move off when you have your eye to the camera. So you can take a shot, review it and retake if for example they blinked.

I love how quiet the shutter is. No clackity clack. No need for quiet mode like on the Nikon's. That said if you put it into 10/12fps it's like a machine gun. Personally I find that mode far too quick and the buffer too small. I pop mine into Continuous low and it's still faster than many DSLR's at top speed.

Oh and finally if you ever want to do videos then the Sony's use phase detection autofocus rather than the slower contrast based detection of the Nikon.

With all my snakes being venomous, there is a limit to how close i can get to them. What type of lenses give good clear zoom from say distances of up to 1m/1.5m? Are there good websites that explain everything there is to know about lenses?

Yeah, I did kind of wonder about getting too close :D I kind of thought they might either be non venomous and/or used to you. (I know almost nothing about snakes though as you can tell).

If you are photographing them indoors, the kit lens might be okay to start with - the main thing is you need decent light as the maximum aperture is not that wide. A good upgrade would be the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which costs around £260 new (not sure what your budget is?). The Sony has image stabilisation in the body rather than the lenses, which means any lens you use will be stabilised, which can help in low light if the subject is fairly still. Longer fast zooms (f2.8) will be expensive and might be too restrictive indoors anyway due to lack of space.

Almost all lenses will have a minimum focus distance of 1m or less (usually telephoto lenses have the longer minimum distances). Sony make an 85mm f2.8 prime lens which is a decent lens and cost around £120 at the moment after cashback. The 50mm f1.8 Sony lens is also okay and costs £70 to £100 new. Both will focus reasonably close if/when required (much much less than 1 metre).

You can also use Minolta AF lenses (they will all be second hand of course as they are no longer made)- the 100-200mm f4.5 zoom is good if you want something longer and costs around £50, the 35-70 f4 macro is small, good quality and costs around £30 to £40.

The A57 is very nice but aside from being bigger and heavier than the A37 it's essentially the same camera inside (same sensor same processor), so if budget is limited you may want to get the A37 and spend the difference on lenses. You can pick up the body only for as little as £260 after cashback. I chose the A37 because I actually prefer the smaller body (I also have a Nex 5 and Panasonic G3 which are small cameras) and it was almost half the price of the A57 so I could not really justify the difference in cost.

These are the A57/A37 differences anyway:

Main ones are the lcd screen (3 inch 920k swivel vs 2.7 inch 260k tilting) and the size/ weight:
http://www.dpreview.com/previews/SonySLTA57/images/sidebyside1.jpg
(A55 [same size as the A37] next to A57)
http://camerasize.com/compare/#326,313

If you are going to use the screen and live view a lot definately get the A57 because the screen on the A37 is a bit carp in comparison (I use the evf mostly so I don't really mind).

Other differences:

Higher frames per second rate on 57 - 12 vs 7
Bigger buffer A37 18 JPEG, 6 RAW vs A57 25 JPEG, 21 RAW)
(Both the above not an issue if you don't use burst mode shooting).
horizon level in A57 but not A37 (Virtual Horizon)
(Useful for landscapes and architecture etc but not essential - easily fixed in post)
ir remote in A57 but not A37 (but both will take a corded remote: ie: Sony RM-L1AM or a cheaper generic equivalent, try ebay/amazon)
(I am fine with corded (£3 on ebay) instead of ir no biggie)
Longer battery life on A57 (bigger battery)
(Just buy a generic spare or two) on amazon for £10 each
Different top button layout I think?
(Zoom button on A37 is useless if you use raw and cannot be set to anything else grr!!)
Video: A37 has 60i and 24p
(I hardly ever use video)
A57 body being bigger and heavier obviously can be an advantage (ergonomically for some, also for balance with heavier lenses) or can be a disadvantage (more bulk and weight to carry around)

Some of the A37 customer reviews on amazon.com (US) are quite useful:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A37K...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Last edited:

For Sony DSLR/DSLT camera users, www.dyxum.com is an invaluable resource. It has a database of pretty much every lens ever produced for the alpha mount (which was introduced in 1985 by Minolta and is what Sonys use) with things like minimum focus distance included and user submitted reviews.

Thanks for the replies, sorry i took so long, had been caught up doing my dissertation!

I think I'm going to go for the a37 and spend the left over Christmas money on a lens. I don't think the a57 has enough pro's over the a37 to warrant the extra money for a beginner like me.

Which of these would be best for my purposes? (Shooting venomous snakes between 10cm to 1m+, don't want to spend a lot on a really good lens yet as i'm only starting out)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...0mm-f4-5-5-6-a-telephoto-zoom-35807/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...mm-f4-5-6-telephoto-zoom-lens-70068/show.html

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...cro-sony-a-konica-minolta-af--26775/show.html

Also, with the alpha mount with the Minolta. Will all of their lenses fit the a37? My Dad has a few Minolta lenses from when he used to use an SLR. Would lenses that are 10 years old now be redundant?

The old Minolta lenses will work fine (y)

I would say to not be so hasty about buying another lens, use the one the camera comes with and your dad's old ones and then use that as a basis to decide where they're lacking (if, indeed, they are).

At 10cm I'd recommend the 30mm f2.8 macro lens.

I have one and it basically only comes out for close up shots like wedding rings.

The telephoto ones you've listed will be good if you are photographing outdoors but they aren't really designed to get close up.

As above, none of the telephoto lenses listed above are really suitable for indoor use. In any case of those 3 my choice would be none of them - I would get the Tamron 55-200 instead - it's the same lens as the Sony optically, comes with a 5 year warranty and is cheaper @ £89. It's also a better lens than the Tamron or Sony 75-300.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Tamron-AF-55-200-F4-5.6-Di-II_lens242.html

For indoor use I would look at the Sony primes: 35mm f1.8 DT SAM £119 after cashback and the 50mm f1.8 DT SAM £99 after cashback.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-DT-35-F1.8-SAM_lens588.html

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-AF-DT-50-F1.8-SAM_lens523.html

For a good cheap Minolta zoom lens you could look at the Minolta AF 35-70 F4 (constant aperture version with macro switch) which will cost around £25 to £40. It won't do much that your kit lens won't already do, but it will be slightly faster at the long end (F4) and is also obviously a different focal length at 35-70 so longer but not as wide. Not true macro but will focus fairly close if required - but you will need to use manual focus in macro mode.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=39

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=521

P.S. Look out for Homebase (yes I know odd place to buy a camera) running their 20% off everything online promotion again - it takes the price of the A37 down to £245 after Sony cashback, plus a few nectar points and possible 3% topcashback available as well.

Last edited:
As above, none of the telephoto lenses listed above are really suitable for indoor use. In any case of those 3 my choice would be none of them - I would get the Tamron 55-200 instead - it's the same lens as the Sony optically, comes with a 5 year warranty and is cheaper @ £89. It's also a better lens than the Tamron or Sony 75-300.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Tamron-AF-55-200-F4-5.6-Di-II_lens242.html

For indoor use I would look at the Sony primes: 35mm f1.8 DT SAM £119 after cashback and the 50mm f1.8 DT SAM £99 after cashback.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-DT-35-F1.8-SAM_lens588.html

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sony-AF-DT-50-F1.8-SAM_lens523.html

For a good cheap Minolta zoom lens you could look at the Minolta AF 35-70 F4 (constant aperture version with macro switch) which will cost around £25 to £40. It won't do much that your kit lens won't already do, but it will be slightly faster at the long end (F4) and is also obviously a different focal length at 35-70 so longer but not as wide. Not true macro but will focus fairly close if required - but you will need to use manual focus in macro mode.

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=39

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/detail.asp?IDLens=521

P.S. Look out for Homebase (yes I know odd place to buy a camera) running their 20% off everything online promotion again - it takes the price of the A37 down to £245 after Sony cashback, plus a few nectar points and possible 3% topcashback available as well.

Thanks, how come they aren't good indoor lenses? Is it because they have a small aperture?

Will take a look at the ones you suggested.

At 10cm I'd recommend the 30mm f2.8 macro lens.

I have one and it basically only comes out for close up shots like wedding rings.

The telephoto ones you've listed will be good if you are photographing outdoors but they aren't really designed to get close up.

Thanks, that lens looks quite good. Minimum focus is 2cm which is good for baby snakes that i can get really close too!

The old Minolta lenses will work fine (y)

I would say to not be so hasty about buying another lens, use the one the camera comes with and your dad's old ones and then use that as a basis to decide where they're lacking (if, indeed, they are).

Will do, definitely will get a macro lens though. And then use the other lenses first and see if i need anything else!

go for the nikon 3200 great camera and its a nikon

Already going for the Sony lol.

Also, with the alpha mount with the Minolta. Will all of their lenses fit the a37? My Dad has a few Minolta lenses from when he used to use an SLR. Would lenses that are 10 years old now be redundant?
if they are Minolta AF mount then they will work. If they are manual focus Minolta SR mount they won't.
As for whether lenses over 10 years old would be redundant it depends on the lens - many modern kit lenses are better than old film era kit lenses but many older, higher quality lenses work very well on digital & can be much cheaper to buy s/h than an equivalent modern lens.

Thanks, how come they aren't good indoor lenses? Is it because they have a small aperture?

Will take a look at the ones you suggested.

Yes because they are not fast enough (f2.8 or faster would be better for indoor use unless it's very bright indoor light) and because of the minimum focal distance being too long. Telephotos are better for outdoor wildlife where you are further from the subject. If you want to try a cheap 'macro' option then there is a Sigma 28-80 AF which has a 2:1 macro option at the 80mm end but you will be at f5.6 or higher so light will still be an issue. You can pick them up on ebay for 20 quid or so though - bargain!

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=134

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-28-80mm-f3-5-5-6-macro.html

If you want a cheap fast prime, pick up a Takumar 55mm f1.8 for £20 to £30, get a 5 quid Alpha> M42 adapter on ebay and use manual focus (the A37 has focus peaking). Brilliant quality lens for the price: http://www.flickriver.com/lenses/pentax/smctakumar55mmf18/

go for the nikon 3200 great camera and its a nikon
Well done the OP, weighed up your options and went out and tried the fit lol hope you enjoy your new camera. Sadly to many people buy a camera because it's a Nikon/Canon without doing any homework :wacky:

Faced with the snake in your first post, I would have gone for any camera the size of a fence panel to hide behind!!
I take it that is a rattlesnake, the type that can make you dead ? And you say you have "some" venomous snakes? Is that the most dangerous?
Each to their own, but I cannot ever wanting to keep things in my home which could escape and kill me.

When you get your new camera, we need some more pics of your killer pets please.

if they are Minolta AF mount then they will work. If they are manual focus Minolta SR mount they won't.
As for whether lenses over 10 years old would be redundant it depends on the lens - many modern kit lenses are better than old film era kit lenses but many older, higher quality lenses work very well on digital & can be much cheaper to buy s/h than an equivalent modern lens.

Ah thanks, they are AF mount. I will just have a mess around with them and see what happens!

Yes because they are not fast enough (f2.8 or faster would be better for indoor use unless it's very bright indoor light) and because of the minimum focal distance being too long. Telephotos are better for outdoor wildlife where you are further from the subject. If you want to try a cheap 'macro' option then there is a Sigma 28-80 AF which has a 2:1 macro option at the 80mm end but you will be at f5.6 or higher so light will still be an issue. You can pick them up on ebay for 20 quid or so though - bargain!

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/reviews.asp?IDLens=134

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-28-80mm-f3-5-5-6-macro.html

If you want a cheap fast prime, pick up a Takumar 55mm f1.8 for £20 to £30, get a 5 quid Alpha> M42 adapter on ebay and use manual focus (the A37 has focus peaking). Brilliant quality lens for the price: http://www.flickriver.com/lenses/pentax/smctakumar55mmf18/

Ah ok thank you. What's the point in getting a 55mm prime if the stock lens goes to 55mm? Just because of the aperture being larger it will produce a better image?

I will definitely get one of the Sony 30mm F2.8 Macro Lens, as it's not bad at £120, or might even get the one with F1.8 as it will be used indoors. What type of extra lighting can you buy to make smaller apertures perform better? Light tents etc?

Well done the OP, weighed up your options and went out and tried the fit lol hope you enjoy your new camera. Sadly to many people buy a camera because it's a Nikon/Canon without doing any homework :wacky:

Lol. Thank you :)

Faced with the snake in your first post, I would have gone for any camera the size of a fence panel to hide behind!!
I take it that is a rattlesnake, the type that can make you dead ? And you say you have "some" venomous snakes? Is that the most dangerous?
Each to their own, but I cannot ever wanting to keep things in my home which could escape and kill me.

When you get your new camera, we need some more pics of your killer pets please.

Haha, yes that is a rattlesnake, an Arizona Black rattlesnake, although she hasn't started to darken in colour yet as she's still young.

I have a few yes...:LOL: Not nearly enough however!

They can't escape 100% sure, no chance. All their enclosures are secure, locked, in a locked room etc.

Out of the ones i have at the moment, the one that would be able to kill me the fastest would probably be the Indo-chinese spitting cobra. But my Gaboon vipers have the largest venom glands and largest fangs of any snake (up to 2.5")..although their venom is less potent, it's the last snake i would want to be bitten by.

If i was bitten by an adult Gaboon, if i don't die it is highly likely i would loose that limb. A guy in Austria was bitten by a two day old Gaboon and lost his finger. However i think you will agree they're incredibly beautiful animals.

I will start a thread now in the nature section to show some pics of some of my snakes. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=5180821#post5180821

I'd honestly start with the kit lens & the macro from what you described as your requirements.

The 30mm macro is an f2.8 lens. The 35mm f1.8 is only one stop faster and won't focus as close. So in terms of lighting, it makes little difference. Just bump your ISO up or lower your shutter speed to compensate. I take it the snakes won't be moving fast?

I'd honestly start with the kit lens & the macro from what you described as your requirements.

The 30mm macro is an f2.8 lens. The 35mm f1.8 is only one stop faster and won't focus as close. So in terms of lighting, it makes little difference. Just bump your ISO up or lower your shutter speed to compensate. I take it the snakes won't be moving fast?

Ah ok, i'd prefer something that focus' closer. So I will stay with the kit lens and get the f2.8 macro.

Hopefully not! lol, but no all the shots i will be attempting to take will be when the snake isn't moving.

Ah ok thank you. What's the point in getting a 55mm prime if the stock lens goes to 55mm? Just because of the aperture being larger it will produce a better image?

Yes, the manual prime lens is f1.8 vs I think f5.6 on the kit lens at 55mm, so it will let more light in which is good for indoor shots. Plus it's a really cheap option at a quarter of the price of the Sony 50mm 1.8 AF lens if money is really tight (but you have to focus manually of course - quite easy with focus peaking).

The 30mm 2.8 Sony macro is a fun little lens which focuses really close - just be aware of any shadow cast by the camera and lens when you are that close - hopefully the camera/lens and autofocus noise won't freak out the snake! :LOL:

I would agree about starting with the kit and the macro and then decide from there if you want/need anything else.

Just throwing this out there, I have the D3200 and I think its brilliant; nice and light, seems like it might damage easily but I take care of my equipment anyway, detail is fantastic and for £395 on Amazon (right now, price does fluctuate though) with the 18-55 lens and £45 cashback its a steal. The only thing I dont like is the fact that some of the features are a bit gimmicky; guide mode, being able to edit within the camera, etc.

Yes, the manual prime lens is f1.8 vs I think f5.6 on the kit lens at 55mm, so it will let more light in which is good for indoor shots. Plus it's a really cheap option at a quarter of the price of the Sony 50mm 1.8 AF lens if money is really tight (but you have to focus manually of course - quite easy with focus peaking).

The 30mm 2.8 Sony macro is a fun little lens which focuses really close - just be aware of any shadow cast by the camera and lens when you are that close - hopefully the camera/lens and autofocus noise won't freak out the snake! :LOL:

I would agree about starting with the kit and the macro and then decide from there if you want/need anything else.

Haha, it's ok snakes can't hear too well, they will be spooked out more by me lingering over them:)

Thanks for all your help! I'm just going to go for the kit lens and macro initially.

Just throwing this out there, I have the D3200 and I think its brilliant; nice and light, seems like it might damage easily but I take care of my equipment anyway, detail is fantastic and for £395 on Amazon (right now, price does fluctuate though) with the 18-55 lens and £45 cashback its a steal. The only thing I dont like is the fact that some of the features are a bit gimmicky; guide mode, being able to edit within the camera, etc.

Thanks for your opinion :) I'm sure it is just as good as the Sony but i actually quite like the evf and few other features it has, so i will be going for that.

Back