Nikon D3300 to Android tablet via USB

Edit My Images
No
Hi.

I want to back up my photos from my Nikon D3300. I only need to be able to transfer photos over, I don't need to operate the camera in any way.

I currently only have an android tablet which doesn't have an SD card slot. I don't have an SD card reader and am considering getting one, but they can have issues. I don't have the WiFi adapter and it's expensive to buy.

So connecting the D3300 to my android tablet via USB seems the best option, if it's possible. I assume a USB-C to UC-E6 USB cable would be the only hardware I'd need. However, I can't figure out if I need an app and, if so, which app?

Tablet is a Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 if it makes a difference.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

I looked up whether the tablet can be used with an OTG connector and it can.

AFAIK (though not tried an OTG myself on my phone) it is possible to use a card reader on an OTG.

I looked up whether the tablet can be used with an OTG connector and it can.

AFAIK (though not tried an OTG myself on my phone) it is possible to use a card reader on an OTG.

Thanks for replying.

Yes, a card reader should work fine, but there are reviews of data being wiped off cards so camera to tablet via USB directly seems safer.

I've found information on older Nikon apps and apps available outside of the UK that sound like they would be what I want, but no current UK apps. I assume it won't plug and play (i.e. bring up files without an app), but don’t currently have the USB cable to check.

I have just had a play with my camera and tablet.
If I connect the camera ( fuji XE-2) direct to the tablet ( Galaxy A10) with a USB cable and an OTG nothing happens the tablet does not see the camera,
If I connect an SD card reader via OTG to the tablet then the tablet sees the SD card as USB storage and I can see the photos I have not tried to copy them but I would assume that works ok.
I don't see why you should wipe any data off the card unless you do something silly like cut instead of copy

Last edited:
I have just had a play with my camera and tablet.
If I connect the camera ( fuji XE-2) direct to the tablet ( Galaxy A10) with a USB cable and an OTG nothing happens the tablet does not see the camera,
If I connect an SD card reader via OTG to the tablet then the tablet sees the SD card as USB storage and I can see the photos I have not tried to copy them but I would assume that works ok

Thanks for the information. That's how I thought it would be. I expected Nikon to have an app that would be aimed more at WiFi transfer, but support USB. I'm not sure they do though.

Might just have to go with a card reader and hope it is reliable.

Just connected my D3300 to my phone (Motorola),
UC-E6 to OTG to phone.
I was able to download & view the camera files (.nef) on a generic file viewer.
No special software was installed to do this.

Used a card reader for years and can't recall ever losing data in that time.
In fact can't remember hearing that anyone else has either.
Sure it will be fine, I think that's the way most people download their photos.

Used a card reader for years and can't recall ever losing data in that time.
In fact can't remember hearing that anyone else has either.
Sure it will be fine, I think that's the way most people download their photos.

Thanks. I've always had computers with built in card readers and never had an issue. When you read reviews for several different USB card readers and keep seeing that issue it just makes you worry a bit, even if overall it's only a small amount of readers. Although you never know how many are removing cards while they're still processing.

One card reader had people complaining about cards melting! Must be some defective readers as it's not something you usually expect to happen.

Just connected my D3300 to my phone (Motorola),
UC-E6 to OTG to phone.
I was able to download & view the camera files (.nef) on a generic file viewer.
No special software was installed to do this.

Interesting. Thanks. I'm going to buy a USB cable anyway so it would be nice if I can do the same.

I have never read of a card reader causing a card to melt!

FWIW
I have in the main used SanDisk memory cards and readers but more latterly, after buying SDHC UHS ii cards bought a Kingston reader and the cards do get warm, which surprised me.

So, I wonder what make cards & readers the reports you read were referring to???

I have never read of a card reader causing a card to melt!

FWIW
I have in the main used SanDisk memory cards and readers but more latterly, after buying SDHC UHS ii cards bought a Kingston reader and the cards do get warm, which surprised me.

So, I wonder what make cards & readers the reports you read were referring to???

Integral Dual Interface USB3.0 & USB-C Type-C Micro SD Memory Card Reader Adapter (Amazon - B07PN42VNL) has 3 reviews about melting.

They do have 7,966 global ratings and a overall star rating of 4.5/5 so must just be a few unlucky ones.

Warm is one thing, but I wouldn't expect melting either. One said it was hot within a few seconds. Worrying it could get that hot, that fast. Would be interesting to know what cards they used and how long the others were plugged in for.

Integral Dual Interface USB3.0 & USB-C Type-C Micro SD Memory Card Reader Adapter (Amazon - B07PN42VNL) has 3 reviews about melting.

They do have 7,966 global ratings and a overall star rating of 4.5/5 so must just be a few unlucky ones.

Warm is one thing, but I wouldn't expect melting either. One said it was hot within a few seconds. Worrying it could get that hot, that fast. Would be interesting to know what cards they used and how long the others were plugged in for.
FWIW

UHS i.e. not UHS ii show no IMO discernable warming.

Finally got the cable today and it does connect without any extra software! I just select photos when it asks what app to open it in and I can view all photos and import them to my tablet if I want.

Not sure if I should be worried that it states it's charging my camera via USB though? Looking to disable it. You'd think they could have a simple on/off switch under connections for it, but I think it requires activating developer tools :confused:

Back