Nikon D3s official owners/users thread, anything related to the D3 D3s D3x

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
I noticed a post for the D700 which having read all the posts looked very interesting so I thought it might be a good idea to have one for the D3 family.

Just taken delivery of my D3s and so far very pleased with the results. Not got to grips with the video yet.

Any D3 users especially the D3s who may be able to pass on some tips they have picked up whilst using the camera could prove useful.

The only real advice with it is don't be afraid to push up the ISO. The D3 has almost voodoo-powers at having little noise at ridiculous ISOs.

The only dramas that may occur with these is that they're not quite as well-sealed as the older D2x was, according to the guys at Calumet who do all our servicing.
They're seeing more coming back with water-damage than previous models.

If you're (like me) used to just letting the rain pour all over your kit, it might be wise to keep an eye open and wipe them down occasionally.

Just had a look in here and surprised to find so few a posts as I know a number of togs still using D3 D3s cameras including local press guys !
Perhaps they rarely go wrong as mine has proved to be a very reliable work horse?

My d3 recently soldiered past 400k actuations. I noticed one on eBay yesterday with over 800k on original shutter. Work horse is the right term.

I have 2 x D3 bodies - both 8 years old now and still going strong. Also still have a D2Xs and D2Hs which still get occasional use but I'm using my Fuji kit more and more these days.

Another one here, D3 from first release as new and a D3x added later as a studio cam. Wonderful cameras. Weight is no problem. In fact it stabilises situations that otherwise might be flaky. Love it with the f2.8 70-200mm attached - really well balanced.

I had a D3 for four years. 300k shots on it and still going strong, especially considering the conditions it shot in - rainy Welsh forests through to sandy Dubai deserts. The only reason I changed it to the D4s was I was feeling flush. Nothing wrong with the camera (although the early ones like mine had smaller buffers) and they produced amazing images which I still printed at A1 using 1600ISO.

I'm still using mine even though I have a number of newer Dslrs.
The weight is the main problem for me these days and the preference of fast prime lenses doesn't help :(
With osteoarthritis taking hold these days even carrying & holding a camera is becoming a big problem for me.
A tripod or monopod helps but it's just more equipment to have to carry.
Hence I posted else ware asking about Fuji and Olympus options

I recently acquired a D3 mint boxed with less than 13K on the shutter count
I like the solid reassuring feel , Not been out with it yet due to work commitments
Boo!

Picked up a well used ex-wedding pros D3 about 5 years ago and love it for portrait stuff, sadly it will now be more of a back up as I've just got a D810.
2020-02-20_06-53-11.jpg

I’ve got to say, I do miss my old lug of a D3, heavy yes but superbly built and that viewfinder was splendid too. Absolute overkill for my current needs but excellent none the less :LOL:

I bought a D3 last year, used but only 10,000 shots on it. I love it now.. bit heavy for me as i,m getting on abit , but it,s a keeper for sure.

Back when I got into photography properly, I was using my D3000. Eventually decided to save up for a second hand D3S in 2013 but a bit of auction site karma saw me end up with a D7000. Had that until April 2021 when I traded it in against a high mileage D3S (finally got the camera I wanted). It's pretty good I must say. Fits my hand well and the controls are generally in the right place (vertical grip control placement not quite as natural as my D7000 with MB-D11 I feel). Noise performance a lot better than my DX bodies which is my main reason for wanting it in the first place.

Had never encountered a situation where battery calibration was required but a week or two ago, that is just what was required. My D3S came with a single third party battery which is on condition '0'. Thought it'd be nice to get a genuine one as well and I managed to get one with BL-4 attached for a steal around the autumn last year. Condition '3' but holding charge and performing well. On the last charge it finished suspiciously quickly and upon refitting to camera, condition was at '4' and 'Cal' warning was showing. Did an overnight calibration and it's back at '3' again with no warning in the menu.

I'd heard that calibration usually results in the battery losing a grade so with it being on '4', I expected it to be pretty much at death's door. Pleasantly surprised with the result as long as it doesn't change again soon :)

Back