Nikon D3xxx owners thread

So I keep harping on about the 17-300mm im contemplating. Like I said before, I'm giving it a test drive first but I get a little dubious when I don't see a lot of people talking about a piece of kit that I think would be ideal for an all round lens?

I'm I wrong? Or have you guys got an opinion you could enlighten me with?

Thanks [emoji16]

Well I'm torn because if I was into wildlife in a big way I would get a 150-600 but I'm not and a longer lens in the region of 200-300 mm is good but can't see that I would use it much

So I keep harping on about the 17-300mm im contemplating. Like I said before, I'm giving it a test drive first but I get a little dubious when I don't see a lot of people talking about a piece of kit that I think would be ideal for an all round lens?

I'm I wrong? Or have you guys got an opinion you could enlighten me with?

Thanks [emoji16]
It will certainly do the job, but the lenses with smaller ranges tend to perform better. You'll see far more CA with that lens at both ends of the range and much more distortion. The sharpness is compromised as well.

It will certainly do the job, but the lenses with smaller ranges tend to perform better. You'll see far more CA with that lens at both ends of the range and much more distortion. The sharpness is compromised as well.

You've just helped me put into words what I was trying to decipher..

I was slightly dubious as I was asking myself, why if there are 'all in one range' lenses (like the 17-300) would more people not be looking to buy them?

So, the age old 'jack of all trades, master of non' applies to lenses too? Haha.

Can I ask, what's CA?..

Chromatic aberration, also known as “color fringing” or “purple fringing”, is a common optical problem that occurs when a lens is either unable to bring all wavelengths of color to the same focal plane, and/or when wavelengths of color are focused at different positions in the focal plane.

Chromatic aberration, also known as “color fringing” or “purple fringing”, is a common optical problem that occurs when a lens is either unable to bring all wavelengths of color to the same focal plane, and/or when wavelengths of color are focused at different positions in the focal plane.
Great explanation, I knew what it was but didn't know why it happened.

The 55-200mm VR II is now £110 on Amazon. After I ordered it from curries. God damn.
Something I never tend to do, look at the price of something once I have bought it. As the price does seem to drop, once you have bought it. I bought a little cheapo compact a few months ago, I got a link in my email asking for a review. I did follow the link to add a review, I did look at the current price, but I was pleased to see it had gained value by £10. So I was pleased I bought it when I did.

Something I never tend to do, look at the price of something once I have bought it. As the price does seem to drop, once you have bought it. I bought a little cheapo compact a few months ago, I got a link in my email asking for a review. I did follow the link to add a review, I did look at the current price, but I was pleased to see it had gained value by £10. So I was pleased I bought it when I did.
It was still on my amazon wishlist and I was cleaning up what I already had.

Thanks for that explanation.

Makes total sense.

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm getting too easily distracted by buying new shiny things (because you guys are getting a "Phoner" (I'll leave you all to figure that one out..) over the 55-200mm, I'm getting all excited too).. I've decided not to buy a lens but to invest in a decent tripod first until I realise what my current lens cant do for me, and go from there.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for that explanation.

Makes total sense.

I've also come to the conclusion that I'm getting too easily distracted by buying new shiny things (because you guys are getting a "Phoner" (I'll leave you all to figure that one out..) over the 55-200mm, I'm getting all excited too).. I've decided not to buy a lens but to invest in a decent tripod first until I realise what my current lens cant do for me, and go from there.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Great idea and plan

Could have done with a zoom this morning, went to the woods for a morning walk with the D3300. Plenty of wildlife, but with the kit lens, I could not get close enough.

on the subject of lenses, are any of the tamron or sigma lenses any good with a d3400.
I had a tamron 70-300: VC etc ,on a d3300 a couple of years back,it was good but same money for 70-300 ago vr which is faster focusing I found on my d3400

Back