Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Hi all,

I have had the d3100 for a few weeks now and have just noticed that the 'rear' flash in manual mode produces 2 flashes the same way as 'slow rear' does in other modes, anyone else experience this as I don't think it's right. Nikon support want me to send it back to be looked at.

Thanks
Chris

Hello all,

Got my D3100 at the end of March and is my first DSLR - I got it with the kit 18-55 VR and a 55-200 (non VR unfortunately but we learn eh) and recently have added a Sigma 18-250 OS HSM for a 'do-it-all' walk-about lens.

I am now finding myself looking at more and more lenses and my Credit Card is getting worried!

Loving the camera and have started to learn much more about how to use it in the last month or so.

Ian

Do you find yourself looking at everything thinking " ooh, wonder how that'd photograph?"..

or is that just me ?:LOL:

Can someone please set their D3100 to M with rear flash and let me know if it flashes twice when taking aphoto?

Thanks

Thanks Neil, I am more confused now, my D40 just flashed once at the end of the shot and nikon are saying its not righ and I should send it back... Is this a Firmware fault? or nothing to worry about?

I'm afraid I'm far too much of a novice to answer your questions.
All I can say is that the second flash was very close to the first and would have gone unnoticed had you not prompted me to look for it.

Regards
Neil.

Is the first not the pre flash for the ITTL exposure? It shouldnt effect the overal exposure, its just testing the light level for the main flash.

Nikon support told me it's broken and to send it back, and the manual doesn't mention 2 flashes. However I did test it by covering the second flash and the first didn't make any difference to the lighting so you might be right. I have had no experience with nikon support so I dont know how good they are!

Mine only flashed once - the same as for the normal flash setting.

its all ok - here is the response I just recieved from Nikon

'Technically there are two outputs of light in Rear mode but the initial output is a pre flash and not actually a flash itself. This is used to help the camera judge exposure. This happens milliseconds before the actual exposure and has no effect on lighting of the image. Just as the exposure is complete you will see the actual flash. It is perfectly normal operation for Rear Sync flash. '

Thanks everyone

Hey only just found this thread I too own the D3100.
It is my first DSLR and im made up with it :)
I find the weight spot on for carrying around and using.
I have two lenses. The 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses.
Ive learnt so much through the use of this camera in regards to DOF and shutter speeds etc and through this forum also :)

its all ok - here is the response I just recieved from Nikon

'Technically there are two outputs of light in Rear mode but the initial output is a pre flash and not actually a flash itself. This is used to help the camera judge exposure. This happens milliseconds before the actual exposure and has no effect on lighting of the image. Just as the exposure is complete you will see the actual flash. It is perfectly normal operation for Rear Sync flash. '

Thanks everyone

= I was right :LOL:

I'm in a quandry - my D40 takes cracking pictures - see my dog shot.
Am I really going to get a much better quality image by moving to a D3100? Or even a D5100?

DSC_4039a.jpg

Am I really going to get a much better quality image by moving to a D3100? Or even a D5100?

What lens is that with? :love:

I think in daylight you'll hardly see a difference as that looks a great shot. The D3100 and D5100 have better higher ISO management though, so you'd probably see a bigger difference in darker conditions where you have to bump the ISO.

CivicMan said:

Tbh I had a d40 and wish I didn't bother 'upgrading' it's faster... That's about the only difference I noticed. I feel I got better shots from the d40 then I get from the d3100.

Image quality won't be massively different but I think ISO performance would be much better on a D5100 or D3100. I wouldn't bother upgrading, spend the money on glass! :cool:

Hi all,

I'm currently considering purchasing a flash unit for my D3100. The SB-400 looks to be pretty useful whilst also being quite compact. Does anyone have an SB-400 that they use with their D3100 and do you have any comments on it?

Hi all,

I'm currently considering purchasing a flash unit for my D3100. The SB-400 looks to be pretty useful whilst also being quite compact. Does anyone have an SB-400 that they use with their D3100 and do you have any comments on it?

Yep, got one.

Sits perfectly on top and is a good size match without being "BIG", if you know what I mean.(ie the SB-600) It has a flexible head to provide bounce flash off the ceiling, although the only downer is that it doesn't have the flexibility of the more expensive models to be able to bounce when you shoot portrait/sideways.

Love him or hate him, Ken does a decent write up of the SB-400.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/sb400.htm

I like mine and really should get into the habit of using it more, it really makes a difference when shooting indoors. (y)

Nikon!! How dare you mention that name on here!! lol

I have a D3100 and its my first camera ever!!. So far im very impressed with the camera but not so impressed with my photo taking ability.

Using the D3100 with 18-55mm kit lens and also a 55-200mm lens i bought.

Check out my flickr below for my recent trips. Even the bad photo's are there.

Its also my 1st DSLR after having a couple of sony cybershots.

I love it. I love learning new things and feeling a sense of achievement when I can see the pictures that I am taking are getting better and better.

Hi, i'm still new to the forum. The 3100 is my first proper camera and i love it!! I'm looking to get a 35mm f1.8 lens for my baby. Does this work for the 3100 as i've heard rumors that its not compatabile? Is it a good lens? Mainly want it for protraits and such like. Thanks

Yes if it's prefixed by AF-S It'll have an inbuilt motor and will work on your D3100. It will give an eqiuvalent FOV of 52.5mm on a cropped sensor.

Another 3100 owner here. My first DSLR and I've opted for the 18-55 kit, 55-200 zoom (which Ive very sparingly used!) and a 35mm 1.8 Prime which now never leaves my camera!

Pics to follow soon.....

Dean

I recently picked one up, as I shoot quite a bit of film I sold my D90 and got a D3100 instead, with the spare money I put it into some lenses. I must say it's a great little DSLR and if I'm honest I don't miss the D90 at all.

Anyone recommend where to get a compatible or Nikon brand battery grip at decent money?

Hi everyone, i am on the edge of this thread just waiting to fall in when i part with my cash tomorrow, i am pretty much decided on the D3100 over the D5100, EOS 550 & 600D's, reason being i want to concentrate more cash on glass :D, after all, why splash extra cash when the D3100 seems more than capable for me who hasn't done any photography for 20yrs :eek:
Now, the choices are Nikon D3100 + 18-55mm VR Lens + 55-200mm Non VR Lens for £500 or Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm VR Lens for £400, is it feasable to fit a 2x converter to the 55-200mm to get 400mm (600mm in old money ?) or should i save the £100 and put it towards a decent tripod/memory card/bag/polarising filter for now and buy some decent glass at a later date. The areas that interest me most are nature/sports/macro and general portraits, now where is the confused smiley quick as i can feel the cash slipping out of my wallet :eek:
Any advice appreciated
Cliff

Back