Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Does anybody know if the pop up flash can be used to remotely fire an off camera flash gun?

Doesn't that depend on the off-camera flash unit?

I have not experimented much but I have a Yongnuo YN-467 Speedlite which will get triggered by my camera flash unit when used off camera if that helps.

Ian

Ok, duffers question of the day.........
What lenses am i looking for to be completely compatible with the D3100, i.e all functions work, a/f metering etc, i am looking for the 55-200mm VR as i have the non vr version and wish to change, i am getting mixed up as what does what and don't want to part with any cash on the wrong one,
Many thanks
Cliff

*gold* said:
Ok, duffers question of the day.........
What lenses am i looking for to be completely compatible with the D3100, i.e all functions work, a/f metering etc, i am looking for the 55-200mm VR as i have the non vr version and wish to change, i am getting mixed up as what does what and don't want to part with any cash on the wrong one,
Many thanks
Cliff

Any AF-S lens will do everything except VR unless it's a VR lens!

So this will: Nikon AF-S VR 55-200mm f4-5.6 G DX IF-ED even though it has G in it ???
Many thanks
Cliff

*gold* said:
So this will: Nikon AF-S VR 55-200mm f4-5.6 G DX IF-ED even though it has G in it ???
Many thanks
Cliff

Yes, G is the modern designation that replaced D. All you need to look for though is AF-S. If it has that it's fully compatible with the d3100.

Hi All,

I need to upgrade from a P&S and at the moment the d3100 is at the top of the list. I've been into jessops and held a variety, had a play with settings etc and love the feel et. However, I'm stuck between d3000 and d3100. If i get a 3k with the 18-55mm lens kit i'll have enough left to get another lens, but if i get the 31k i'll only have the 18-55mm.

I have a real passion for sunset/sunrise photography so i'm assuming that the higher ISO on the 31k is going to be more beneficial to me. At the same time i'll be taking lots of shots of my kids as well passing the camera to friends for shots of myself with them et.

HELP!!!:bang:

Yes, G is the modern designation that replaced D. All you need to look for though is AF-S. If it has that it's fully compatible with the d3100.

Many thanks
Cliff

beal_cain said:
Hi All,

I need to upgrade from a P&S and at the moment the d3100 is at the top of the list. I've been into jessops and held a variety, had a play with settings etc and love the feel et. However, I'm stuck between d3000 and d3100. If i get a 3k with the 18-55mm lens kit i'll have enough left to get another lens, but if i get the 31k i'll only have the 18-55mm.

I have a real passion for sunset/sunrise photography so i'm assuming that the higher ISO on the 31k is going to be more beneficial to me. At the same time i'll be taking lots of shots of my kids as well passing the camera to friends for shots of myself with them et.

HELP!!!:bang:

From reviews I have read the 3000 is a very poor relation to the 3100.

ok next question from me....can the D3100 be used for tethered shooting either to ViewNX2 or Lightroom 3?

Cheers
Steve

I'm in the market for a few new memory cards.

What class and speed do I need to get the highest burst rate when shooting RAW on my D3100?

Will probably pick up a couple of 4gb or 8gb.

Do I really need Sandisk Extreme 30mb types on my D3100?

Thanks

i bought a D3000 (my first SLR) about 18 months ago, for the 3100 to come out a couple of months later... d'oh! First child on its way in the next 3 weeks, so I'm thinking it should be about time to upgrade to summat with video on it... (not for the birth, I hasten to add...!)

just wanted some opinion on the quality of video on the 3100 before I do? Also, my main problem with the 3000 is the poor quality at higher ISOs - anything above 400 is not great - is the 3100 better at higher ISOs?

any thoughts gratefully received :) cheers!

I use my d3100 at ISO 1600 quite happily. Obviously not as clean as the d700, but it's not bad at all.
The video is ok, but unless you manually focus, you get a lot of noise from the focus motor.

Not sure on your budget, but maybe a d7000 would be worth a look.

yeah, i'm trying to get away with selling my 3000 and only spending another 150 or so - I'm not sure I'd get away with much more with the wife! ;) Plus, I really like the compact size of the 3000, so I'd rather not go up to the 7000 - it's a tad chunky...

Thanks for the info on the motor noise - very useful to know, especially with no microphone input... the 5100 looks tempting though - have you any experience?

I'm in the market for a few new memory cards.

What class and speed do I need to get the highest burst rate when shooting RAW on my D3100?

Will probably pick up a couple of 4gb or 8gb.

Do I really need Sandisk Extreme 30mb types on my D3100?

Thanks

Haven't tried Extreme, but I use Sandisk Ultra, and soon run out of steam on burst mode in RAW. I'd get the Extreme if I were you, I'll definitely be trying it next time I get a card.

olliecaust said:
yeah, i'm trying to get away with selling my 3000 and only spending another 150 or so - I'm not sure I'd get away with much more with the wife! ;) Plus, I really like the compact size of the 3000, so I'd rather not go up to the 7000 - it's a tad chunky...

Thanks for the info on the motor noise - very useful to know, especially with no microphone input... the 5100 looks tempting though - have you any experience?

No never used the 5100 but I imagine the problem is similar without an external mic. I get around the issue by using a zoom h1 recorder and synching the audio afterwards. This works great for my YouTube photography videos, but probably not so good for home movies.

Haven't tried Extreme, but I use Sandisk Ultra, and soon run out of steam on burst mode in RAW. I'd get the Extreme if I were you, I'll definitely be trying it next time I get a card.

I'm thinking of going with the Sandisk Extreme (30mb) or Extreme Pro (45mb).

Have I got this line of thinking right?

The D3100 can do 3fps and each RAW file is 12.9MB, So i'd need 38.7MB/sec write to fully keep up with the camera and eliminiate the buffer?

Although using the buffer alongside a quick card, i'd hope an extreme 30mb/sec card to give me plenty of continual burst before lagging.

Does that sound right? :thinking:

Last edited:
No never used the 5100 but I imagine the problem is similar without an external mic. I get around the issue by using a zoom h1 recorder and synching the audio afterwards. This works great for my YouTube photography videos, but probably not so good for home movies.

5100 at least has microphone input option... Really tempted by the 5100, but think it's just a bit too expensive! Gah, why is everything i want to buy always that little bit too expensive! lol

I'm thinking of going with the Sandisk Extreme (30mb) or Extreme Pro (45mb).

Have I got this line of thinking right?

The D3100 can do 3fps and each RAW file is 12.9MB, So i'd need 38.7MB/sec write to fully keep up with the camera and eliminiate the buffer?

Although using the buffer alongside a quick card, i'd hope an extreme 30mb/sec card to give me plenty of continual burst before lagging.

Does that sound right? :thinking:

You sound more clever than me, so you're probably right! What you've said makes sense anyway. With my 20 mb/sec card I get about 2-3 seconds of burst before it lags so you would be better off with the Extreme anyway.

Anyone looking in already using Extreme cards with their D3100?

garry71 said:
You sound more clever than me, so you're probably right! What you've said makes sense anyway. With my 20 mb/sec card I get about 2-3 seconds of burst before it lags so you would be better off with the Extreme anyway.

Anyone looking in already using Extreme cards with their D3100?

I use sandisk extreme cards exclusively in both my d700 and d3100. Never had any issues in the d3100 with the 4 and 8 GB cards I use with it both for video and stills.

D3100 it is! My tesco clubcard vouchers have arrived, so off to jessops to pick it up this arvo... (y)

ooooo, i can now feel properly at home on the d3100 owners' thread...

After a great deal of dithering, for the last two months, I have now placed my order for the Nikon D3100 with the standard lens kit. So I can soon feel like a member of this exclusive thread :clap:

But I now need advice:

First a wrist strap as that is the way I carry my cameras. Is there a connecting point on the camera or is it connected at the same point as the neck strap?

Next suggestions for a bag bearing in mind it will only be the standard camera & lens with a spare battery and a couple of memory cards.

A D3100 user here to. I brought my camara 6 months ago now and I love it, well it is my first DSLR.

I have the 18 - 55 mm lens
lens baby scout with the fish eye optic
70 - 210 mm lens
25 - 70 mm lens
80 marco lens.
A flash gun

I have taken some fairly decent shots with it, I find it is a great camara to learn with and have recommended it to a lot of my friends. I am not in a hurry to buy a new one. Its nice to see that there a lot of D3100 lovers out there to.

Add me to the list too. Bought on Sat evening and was the last but one that Jessops had. Wanted it to do star and light trails, so learning how to do them in my back garden at the minute before going out to the 'real world'
First try

Startrails.jpg

And second attempt with jupiter

startrails2test.jpg

I came from a P100 bridge camera and it had a flip out screen, which I am missing. Think I shoulda went for the D5100 for this reason alone. Its already bugging me to have to bend down to compose a shot through the viewfinder.

Can anyone recommend a decent enough cable release with timer?
I use a trusty thick elastic band at the minute to fire off multiple shots whilst on continuous drive mode (another thing I miss, an internal inervalometer, which D5100 has also, and my P100) :(

It no doubt a great camera, but think I'm talking myself into upgrading already!

I need a camera bag for a D3100, 18-55 kit lens, and a Tamron SP 70-300 lens.
I'd like to be able to put the camera away without having to swap lenses to fit it all back in, so need one with easily adaptable compartments.

Budget up to about £80.
Any suggestions?

Cheers
Garry

garry71 said:
I need a camera bag for a D3100, 18-55 kit lens, and a Tamron SP 70-300 lens.
I'd like to be able to put the camera away without having to swap lenses to fit it all back in, so need one with easily adaptable compartments.

Budget up to about £80.
Any suggestions?

Cheers
Garry

I have this one and works well. Not too big so that it's a pain to carry about but big enough to carry the camera and 2 lenses plus my speedlight and some bits and bobs.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-tamrac-travel-pack-71-black/p1006046

There is a dividing section that velcros in place to keep the camera separate from the lens so it's not sat on it.

Well worth the money and well below your budget!!

It's on my new shortlist now anyway. Never considered a backpack bag before, cheers for that :)

Have a look at the lowepro nova range.
Took delivery of my D3100 today. I've got ALOT to learn!

I have a lowerpro rega 160 bag (think its rega, might be nova) and it fits a d3100, kit lens and nikon 55-300 lens perfectly and is nice and compact. But it will only work with the kit lens on the camera, not the 55-300 (the larger lens on camera would fit but you'd have to leave the kit lens behind). I wanted the smallest bag possible but I see this as a limitation - especially annoying when I was at a zoo the other day in the rain and I couldn't put my camera away without chnaging lenses. I'd recommend getting the size larger (170) if you go the lowerpro route. I wish I had!

Ended up with a Lowepro Fastpack 200 backpack from Jessops for 35 quid. I got the black one, as the blue and red ones were 15 quid dearer for some reason!!

So, how long have you guys and gals had your D3100?

Any of you thinking of upgrading yet?

I've had mine almost a year after upgrading from an old bridge camera, I am finding myself looking at the second hand D7000 and D300s' and fighting back the urge to upgrade (the other half has not given her blessings!).

While I think its a cracking camera I am finding there are certain features of other models that are now looking quite appealing, I guess its a case of being a beginner that is starting out out grow what is essentially a beginners level slr...

Anyone else in a similar position?

Back