Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Ah, funny you should ask that, i've had my D3100 a few months now and find myself looking at higher end models.
I then have to go into sensible mode and think, is the camera holding me back in any way, the answer is no.
Am i familiar with and able to use all of the functions to their full potential, again the answer is no.
The big question regarding upgrade is, will a higher end camera help me take better pictures, contrary to the belief of many beginners like myself the answer is definately not.
So i ask myself, can i justify an upgrade at the price ? Yes, you guessed it, no is the answer.
I will invest the extra cash in better, or more accurately. more suitable lenses for my favourite areas (Sigma 120-400mm :D) and more equipment like studio gear, better bag, flashgun etc.
I will also invest the time mastering (or trying to) the D3100 rather than looking up other options, specs etc because after all is said and done, the D3100 is a more than capable DSLR for my level of photography and i suspect will remain so for some time.
It would be nice to own a D4 but whats the point in having all the gear and no idea ?

Best wishes
Cliff

Can I ask a really stupid question that is bugging me but I do not want to be shot down in flames please ( and I have tried to figure it out myself!)

I currently have a D50 & am looking at a D3100 body. Will my lenses continue to work correctly on the D3100?

Thanks in advance

John

I have the D3100. My main interest is macro and this is where I have concentrated on the most. I like it because I can take my time with each shot. New lens, books, off camera flash etc. I am improving slowly.

Today its my sons 21st birthday. I got the camera out and it was the first time I have seriously tried candid photos around the house, taking photos of people, presents, cake etc. I didnt have a clue! Some too dark, some to bright, not much time to think about each shot. I have loads to learn before I can even think about upgrading. I need to invest in more lenses, I only have the kit lens. This is where I think I can then improve.

So, how long have you guys and gals had your D3100?

Any of you thinking of upgrading yet?

I've had mine almost a year after upgrading from an old bridge camera, I am finding myself looking at the second hand D7000 and D300s' and fighting back the urge to upgrade (the other half has not given her blessings!).

While I think its a cracking camera I am finding there are certain features of other models that are now looking quite appealing, I guess its a case of being a beginner that is starting out out grow what is essentially a beginners level slr...

Anyone else in a similar position?

Had mine nearly a year, keep thinking about upgrading to a D7000 to get:

in-body focus motor
top lcd
DoF preview
commander mode flash

Can I ask a really stupid question that is bugging me but I do not want to be shot down in flames please ( and I have tried to figure it out myself!)

I currently have a D50 & am looking at a D3100 body. Will my lenses continue to work correctly on the D3100?

Thanks in advance

John

Depends on the lenses. If they are AF-S, then yes. If they arent, then you will loose autofocus.

I have the D3100. My main interest is macro and this is where I have concentrated on the most. I like it because I can take my time with each shot. New lens, books, off camera flash etc. I am improving slowly.

Today its my sons 21st birthday. I got the camera out and it was the first time I have seriously tried candid photos around the house, taking photos of people, presents, cake etc. I didnt have a clue! Some too dark, some to bright, not much time to think about each shot. I have loads to learn before I can even think about upgrading. I need to invest in more lenses, I only have the kit lens. This is where I think I can then improve.

Put the camera into aperture priority with Auto ISO set to a max of 3200, and use matrix metering. Should be a good way to get comfortable with a few things. Lenses wise the kit isn't too bad, a 35mm 1.8 could be a good buy though.

Had mine nearly a year, keep thinking about upgrading to a D7000 to get:

in-body focus motor
top lcd
DoF preview
commander mode flash

The flash commander is really nice to have if you have CLS flashes already. If you don't, it doesn't actually do anything for you (you can trigger slave flashes optically just fine with the D3100). Top LCD is handy, but tilting the camera 45 degrees instead isn't too terrible. DoF preview isn't that useful unless you're in Live View, as the viewfinder dims quite a lot. The motor is nice - you get access to some nice cheap glass, though now the 50 and 85 1.8s are AF-S, the only lenses that are AF only are specialty ones (105 and 135 DC, 10.5 fish etc. Oh, forgot the 80-400 and 180 as well).

The AF is really nice though, and Ai-S metering. It's not to say the upgrade isn't worth it, it is. But there are IMO better things that can be done with the money initially :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments ausemmao. Although I hanker after a D7000 I know deep down you are right, I would be better off spending the cash on lenses. Currently I only have the kit zoom and the 35mm f1.8. Also could do with a flash.

The things I was looking at myself were the built in motor, more focus points (including the cross type), bracketing, the ability to focus correct lenses, higher res screen, higher fps, sealed body and a few other little tweaks.

Like I said, the D3100 is a great camera and I have learned a lot this last year.

well done paul for posting links,

if anyone is looking for settings for live view in manual,
push bottom left hand ? button for the light meter it brings up another menu and it is in middle of screen, once you have set A & S, use the command dial,

now my question is mirror lock up knocks out all settings, if i want to say do a landscape how can i set the camera and fire shutter,
am i missing something :thinking:

Hi 3100 club, i just found this thread
I got mine about 3 weeks ago and love the button set up for manual settings and the menu system really natural, as well as the easy handling and clever features
Its really helped me into photography and if you're having doubts about its complexity to use, or generally being a good camera, fear not. I love it

Hey all, recently bought my D3100 off *gold* and smitten with it :D

Finding the button setup very simple to practice adjusting setting on the move, the function button being the ISO setting. Into street photography right now, so the lack of size and weight is an obvious plus point too. The 55-200 VR lens works extremely well along with the kit lens, although having been used to my Olympus film camera, screwing the lenses in anti-clockwise will take some getting used to!

Yet to go a proper wander for some decent pics but I'll be back here at some point...

Is there a reasonably priced macro that anyone could recommend ? I went to shoot the butterflies at Wisley yesterday and would have loved to get better shots..

Thanks

milster said:
Hello everybody, I'm a noob with a d3100 :D

I'll have a good look through this thread when I get time.

Well feel confident and happy, you've made a great purchase. The D3100 is a great little camera, still loving mine after 18 months, still finding stuff out and still impressed. No thoughts of upgrading any time soon.

can anyone recommend a reasonably priced decent macro lens for the d3100? for water doplet photography, insects etc..

also after a good telephoto lens?

budget around £300-£400 each, so £800 total.

can anyone recommend a reasonably priced decent macro lens for the d3100? for water doplet photography, insects etc..

also after a good telephoto lens?

budget around £300-£400 each, so £800 total.

Any AF-S Nikon lens will fit the D3100. And any "other" brand with a built in motor so that it focuses will be fine too.

I'd suggest you start a separate new thread so non-D3100 owners might have some recommendations. (y)

Hi guys,

Just thought I'd share this info: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7lAiNMxHLQ

I got a spare battery ages ago (at around £40) and for Christmas I got a battery grip for my D3100 (anyone else got one?) and have found it a lot more comfortable to use and the power from a pair of batteries lasts for ages - shame about the price of them!

But I saw these P7000 batteries (same battery model number) and after seeing this video was gonna give it a go (for about £10 its worth a try) - anyone else tried already though?

Ian

not sure i'd trust my expensive camera to a 6.99 battery :cautious:

could be wrong, but you know what people say at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

forget what i said above, its a nikon branded product and goes into the grip not the camera. i might buy a few of these myself it they work good, cheers matey! :- )

what grip are you using, and where did you buy you r p7000 batteries?

Last edited:
Hey all, So glad one of these threads have been setup.

Ive had mine for about a year after stepping up from a Sony A200.
I have a battery grip and it is great. Thanks for the info on the D7000 battery, I was holding off buying a xtra battery due to price. But Now I can buy one, yey.
I also have a RF 602 combo trigger set( to go with my YN460 II), and have rewired and merged the battery grip cable with the wireless remote cable. So I now have a wireless shutter release.

Also have invested in a Katzeye and 1.7 magnifying eye piece. Bit expensive when you add on the import tax, but after a while of using it, so worth it.

I mostly stick with my 50mm 1.8, but lately have been investing in old film lenses, like the Sigma 24mm 2.8, for £40. And looking out for a 135mm 2.8, priced around £40/50.

lovely pictures and joining the thread :)

So i'm considering upgrading my kit lens to something a bit faster. If money was no object then it would be the Nikon 17-55 f/2.8. Unfortunately money is an object so i'm looking at something a bit more affordable.

Can anyone recommend a Sigma or Tamron that covers a similar focal length that will focus and meter on the D3100?

Hi, the 3100 is my first serious Dslr. Camera and after 18 months still loving it. Have learnt so much since then to the point never shoot in auto now and only use raw. It's one of the best I feel for complete beginner but takes quality pics and has enough about it for the more serious photography. Never considered upgrading yet! Loving landscapes so if anybody can help me by commending a good lens for this. I have kit lens and 35m 1.8. Thanks and loving the thread.

those pictures are amazing! im on the Hunt for a D3000 and i really cant wait to get one!

Ok so i've been having a bit of a hunt around and found some different options for a walkabout lens. Can anyone comment on the suitability of these or advise on any other options I should consider.

Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8-4.5 DC OS HSM

I think my preference out of the Sigma offerings would be for the 17-50 f/2.8. I like the idea of a fixed maximum aperture and the optical stabilisation.

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II LD
Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC LD

As far as I can tell these are the same lens but the second one has vibration control. I think I'd prefer to have a stabilised lens but I think i've also read that the non-VC lens is better optically. Is that correct?

Any advice or comments will be greatfully received.

There was one in the classifieds the other day

25th feb it was listed.

I'm a D3000 owner as well:cool:
Had it for about 2 years now, had a Canon G7 before it, so was my first SLR - I bougth it after the G7 lens broke and it wouldnt have been worth fixing:crying: (I loved that camera).
Things I like:
The size/weight (for a dSLR - I have quite small hands)
It is my first dSLR:LOL: (so a lot of novelty factor no doubt for me)

Things I now find restrictive:
Speed - takes a lifetime to display a shot and also only around 3fps (I think - whatever it is, i notice it very slow now as my skills/requirements have improved over the 2 years:clap:).
In that sense, it couldnt have done a bad job, as I've learned so much since I've had it (almost happy with about 20% of my pics now:LOL:)

Mean to say, I'll add high ISO to the restrictions as well, I find it pretty unsuable above 800 to be honest.
For what it is though, you can't go wrong. (OK, they have d31000 now etc and this is an older thread).

The 'scene' modes and the tutorials I never used and I found them unneccesary, but again you even get scene modes on the d90 etc (I never understood why and it seems silly/waste of space on a D90 - spending that cash, you should really know a bit about exposure at least to know when you want slow/fast/wide etc? Just my opinion). They should have left this stuff off and put better ISO I think.

Take a look in the main menus for the wb (can't remember the exact option and not got my camera with me at the moment but its not hard to find), you can make manual adjustments in there... not sure if/how it saves them, not played with it much.

I know where the menu is, I'm just not sure how to set the WB. Do I just take a piccy of something white and it stores it ?

Back