Nikon D3xxx owners thread

Anyone bother using in camera histogram.
Personally cant be bothered,i take a shot,look at the lcd photo playback,if it looks either too dark or light i dial a bit of EC,dont see the point in using histogram but im open to hear others experience?

Anyone bother using in camera histogram.
Personally cant be bothered,i take a shot,look at the lcd photo playback,if it looks either too dark or light i dial a bit of EC,dont see the point in using histogram but im open to hear others experience?
I did try using the histogram, but things became too much effort. I was thinking about and paying too much attention to the camera, and not enough focus on the subject I was trying to capture. I now tend to likely under expose with the intention of lifting shadows, and adding contrast. Also gives the benefit of a faster shutter speed.

Before I took the 35mm off the body, I was going to get photos of the frosty morning. But sleet started coming down and I went back indoors and left the camera behind, don't want the camera to get ruined by the wet. Lovely picturesque morning, just a shame about the wet. :-(

19420-1514453719-16cf0713b4377ab088796e3a350c82b5.jpg

Taken with the 35mm 1.8G, just a quick snap.

19419-1514453697-abc07654c97eb36ae6021d95f45f0422.jpg

Taken with the 18-55mm kit lens. Again only a quick snap.

At the moment I do prefer using the kit lens, who knows things may change. :)

Last edited:
Yes I nearly caved in the other day and bought a 35,now I'm glad I didn't,
The two photos above were taken with both lenses at their widest apertures. There is just a certain something that I like about the kit lens, it just takes photos that I like..

the 35mm F1.8 is an excellent lens for the money, and it can take much better pictures than those shown (sorry @jonbeeza , those pictures look very flat - in colour dynamic range)
You don't need to be sorry :). I used both lenses in the same conditions, poor light etc. I did say they were both quick snap shots. Of course they will be poor, I just grabbed the camera and fired off the shot. For me I preferred using the kit lens.

Ps

That is how they came out of the camera, no tweaking in RAW.
The object of the demo was to show the kit lens can fair just as good as the 35mm, under the same conditions.

Last edited:
You don't need to be sorry :). I used both lenses in the same conditions, poor light etc. I did say they were both quick snap shots. Of course they will be poor, I just grabbed the camera and fired off the shot. For me I preferred using the kit lens.

Ps

That is how they came out of the camera, no tweaking in RAW.
The object of the demo was to show the kit lens can fair just as good as the 35mm, under the same conditions.

Well apart from the fact that the 35mm is sharper and can go to F1.8, there obviously is no difference :D:D:D

Well apart from the fact that the 35mm is sharper and can go to F1.8, there obviously is no difference :D:D:D
I know the 35mm can be a cracking little lens, I have got some lovely family street photos done in the summer with the lens. I just prefer the wider end of the kit lens, and that inexpensive lens has gotten some lovely photos too. I will continue to use both lenses, and pick whatever lens is more suited to the photos I am taking. :)

We'll have to start a 'Nikon Kit Lens' thread and post pics there. It might give us an incentive to actually do something ;)

We'll have to start a 'Nikon Kit Lens' thread and post pics there. It might give us an incentive to actually do something ;)
Sounds interesting, though I am such a lazy sloppy sod I will probably contribute rubbish. :)

IMG_3869 by Chris Andrew, on Flickr
found this one of my friend Mick Pini,blues guitarists had just bought this guitar for my daughter and who should walk in to see me but Mick,over from Germany on a tour so I happened to have my camera and we went across the road to an ally and I got a few shots off, if you like blues look him up on the net

I'm trying to be enthusiastic about photography but it's hard

No point forcing it, Chris. Yes the 35 will give more isolation than the kit and is sharper ( in theory ) but as we all know by now it's easy to be distracted by ultimate sharpness and over look the image as a whole. If you want portraits, go for the 35 or 50. If you want landscape, you're wasting your pennies with 1.8s

18-55 sweet spot around F5.6-F8 35mm ihear but will test at some point
I have got some photos of the missus , taken with the kit lens at those apertures. I took them mainly in the summer, so I had a reasonably fast shutter speed, so able to hold camera without ruining image with movement. I did get a nice background effect, so buildings etc were slightly defocused but not by masses. I do like getting people photos with background separation, but not by massively wide apertures, just enough so the viewer can still make out the surroundings.

I am going to do some more photos of the missus, I am going to use the kit lens. I am going with the kit lens because we will be indoors, or in our small garden. Set at the wide end, so I can get in close. She is my missus, so I can get in very close.

So much better to photograph the missus, rather than an expensive model. My missus only costs me a cup of Coffee and a biscuit. :)

Just been out with the D3300 to get some photos in the Woods. I did not realise I had the 35mm lens attached to the body. Oh well, got a few photos of the trees and leaves etc. Just going to have a look through them now.

been experimenting with photoolex wired remote and the amazon basics wireless remote.

cant be arsed with the wired one so shall be using the wireless one, mainly for doing bracketing shots via EC in AP mode.

Which Photoolex wired remote did you try?

Back