NIKON D4 announced

That's impressive. Some interesting info there on the comments. The kayak guy is mental!

Kev.

fracster said:
I have read this three times now and still don`t know what you mean..............:shrug:

See below! :D

r1andy said:
Very serious

R u trying to tell me to jump from the image quality of a D700 to a D7000 is worth an extra £3000.

For an extra 3k I was expecting a bit more than this

It's all about the video with this d4 and it's not for me at this money.

Me thinks that you might have more than a slight misunderstanding of the Nikon range.

Yes the D7000 is a 16.2 megapixel camera, as opposed to the D700's 12Mpx, however it's on an APS-C sensor; ie 23.6x15.7mm.

The D4 has the same 16.2 mexapixel resolution as the D7000, but it's on a full frame 36x23.9mm sensor. The results are going to be very very different.

Why do you need a Canon user to explain that to you?

It might be worth you rereading the D4's spec sheet. It's going to be a cracking camera.

Have you been let out for the day :LOL:

Very serious

R u trying to tell me to jump from the image quality of a D700 to a D7000 is worth an extra £3000.

For an extra 3k I was expecting a bit more than this

It's all about the video with this d4 and it's not for me at this money.

Yeah, he worries me, I doubt he'll make old bones.

I remember Shaun Baker doing similar stuff years ago. Tyler Bradt seems to be the top man now though- check out his record.

Still these kayak guys have people in the water- fall off a big wall while soloing and it's game over. Impressive crack climbing although finger locks aren't too bad- it's all the other jamming I know Honnold can do:notworthy:

Hopefully this improved video capability will quickly filter down the range- pro- entry level.
I might even stop using Canon for it:LOL:

Sometimes, you see the subject, lets say a sparrowhawk, quite a way off. You need to lock onto it and keep locked on until it comes to within a reasonable distance and is large enough in the frame. Due to the camouflage of these birds against a woodland background, the AF can struggle to lock on and keep on the subject.

Prime example is when i`m shooting peregrines and they fly low with the grey limestone as a backdrop. The speed of the bird against a background that is a similar colour proves somewhat difficult.

I think* that is what he means.

Natural camouflage is invariably going to provide problems to contrast based Af sensors in this way. But the d3's sensors are 100% phase based I believe.

That said, someone comparing a fast moving sports shot and a fast moving wildlife shot, the motor vehicle is going to exhibit much more phase shift compared to the background (after all, that's how CPLs reduce reflections on static vehicle shots), so I can see how someone that shoots mostly motor sports and more sedate sports or static shots won't run into the same problems with AF in low light conditions (which shooting at high telephoto is going to be, even on a bright summer's day)

I think I see what the wild lifers are saying... Small cammo'ed things I can see now could be a problem.

The human eye is probably only detecting them by movement...

On the positive side, improvements like that would probably help me too as whilst the af is good it's not quite one hundred percent every time...but it is massively superior to other cameras I have owned.

your post make no sense at all,are you carrying this and a SLR around thats even more stuff than a camera with video. unless you are saying people buy a camera just for the video :thinking:

Straycat

I can't say I have seen any video shoots of yours yet so please put at least one up as a comparison under the same lighting conditions.

I don't have to lug upteen lenses around with me and have to think about getting the right lens on a DSLR for each shot. I can also shoot for up to 8 hours on a SDHC card with 5 hr battery life minimum with Dolby sound as well.
. You are lucky to be able to continuously shoot for even 1 hour on a DSLR in video mode and if you use both video and stills on the same card you quickly run out of gig memory or camera battery power and I suspect no dolby sound either

On my recent trip to Egypt all I needed was my D300 with one lens the other lens I never put on the camera, and the camcorder.

I have noticed on this thread that everyone who is saying how great a duel mode DSLR is havn't put up any demo videos they have made in artifical light, with/without camera lighting

This clearly shows, to me at least, how bad the video mode on DSLR's actually are and they are not up to the same quality and capabilities of a dedicated camcorder.

Now there is a challange for members ;););)

Realspeed

Last edited:
Obviously you don't have a camcorder so don't see the advantages over a DSLR with video mode. I don't have to lug upteen lenses around with me and have to think about getting the right lens on a DSLR for each shot.

On my recent trip to Egypt all I needed was my D300 with one lens the other lens I never put on the camera, and the camcorder.

I have noticed on this thread that everyone who is saying how great a duel mode DSLR is havn't bothered to put up any demo videos in artifical light without either camera lighting or not.

This clearly shows, to me at least, how bad the video mode on DSLR's actually are and they are not up to the same quality and capabilities of a dedicated camcorder.

Realspeed

Ok, for a start, you don't see the point that is fine, for others its a great add on, why not just carry on the way you are an leave it?

As for your comment about video quality I am sorry but LOL. I am starting to think you are just trolling now. This subject has been argued many times in the video section so take a wander on there and carry on with it.

or click here:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=313671

Camcorders have their place, don't get me wrong. Family events, non technical people or people who prefer compact over quality. However, for quality equal to that of a DSLR (in the right hands) you'd need a video camera the size of a shoe box :D

Last edited:
50mm F1.4G on my D3s has amazing contrast and can shot lower light than a photo

and looks fantastic.

realspeed said:
Obviously you don't have a camcorder so don't see the advantages over a DSLR with video mode. I don't have to lug upteen lenses around with me and have to think about getting the right lens on a DSLR for each shot.

I have noticed on this thread that everyone who is saying how great a duel mode DSLR is havn't bothered to put up any demo videos they have made in artifical light, without camera lighting

Now there is a challange for members ;););)

Realspeed

I give up, the dude just don't get it.

As for the comment about not having to change lenses in egypt, well I guess you've found the worlds first 10-500 1.2 lens with pro quality optics that can do everything. Congrats.

(why don't Nikon just make one lens anyway????)

I agree with Realspeed I think video on DSLRs is rubbish.I have tried it on my D90 and D7000 and the focusing is crap a 15yr old camcorder is more accurate.Next they will be sticking ipods on them!
Nikon should try and get the basics right first like showing the F stop and shutter speed on the review screen instead of the file number and date! Some decent sized white dots or lines to align the body and lens in poor light would be an improvement.Extras like a split screen focus screen so crop sensor cameras can focus in manual mode more accurately.But no we get a video camera! :bang:

I agree with Realspeed I think video on DSLRs is rubbish.I have tried it on my D90 and D7000 and the focusing is crap a 15yr old camcorder is more accurate.

They say that a bad workmen always blames his tools.

You don't autofocus with DSLR video, you do it manually like you do with a pro video camera.

You want an easy way to video, get a camcorder, want something that will provide excellent quality you need to put the time and effort in to learn how to get the most out of them. Isn't that why we've all got SLR's instead of P&S cameras?

...and whilst we're at it...

...why would you want the aperture and shutter speed displayed when you've set them manually? (leaving aside the fact that you are only rarely going to vary the SS).

Displaying ISO/Gain I can understand, because that's far more likely to vary.

Oh... and that split screen focus thing..... :D

It would be funny if the D800 didn't have the 36Mp sensor in (although Nikonrumours seems pretty certain it will have).

Wasn't the D700 just a parts bin strategy anyway? I thought it was Nikons response to the 5D, using the D300 body and the D3 sensor; making a new camera model out of parts they didn't have to develop too hard. It came out of necessity at a time when Nikon needed models but didn't have R&D time.

So, here's a sobering thought... Could that mean it was a model in a line of one, never to be repeated? meaning that their strategy was always a D3 high speed and a D3X high res model, in keeping with their old conventions.

the D800 is perfectly likely, therefore, to be the new D4X, and the rumoured 36MP resolution fits exactly with the Nikon model split. For a Nikon pro digital model, you either choose high speed or high res, just like before. The D700 was, therefore, a highly successful one-off which brought the D3 'to the masses', but in future it's back to business as usual?

The D800 is perfectly likely, therefore, to be the new D4X, and the rumoured 36MP resolution fits exactly with the Nikon model split. For a Nikon pro digital model, you either choose high speed or high res, just like before. The D700 was, therefore, a highly successful one-off which brought the D3 'to the masses', but in future it's back to business as usual?

Commercially it certainly makes sense for Nikon.....people expecting a D700 replacement at the same time as the D4 were always going to be disappointed in my opinion. New cameras generate sales and why let two new models compete for all the early adopters attention.

I think there is one piece of the jigsaw missing in that analysis that states the D700 takes away from the D3...

People who bought that bought NIKON and didn't buy Canon/Sony/something else.

When you buy a DSLR you don't buy just a camera, you buy a system and once you own that system you are unlikely to want to move.

So a D700 may or may not sell a D3, but you will have bought several lenses and a flash and... the D700 (and D300 too) won many, many converts.

I think if Nikon have a reason to make a D800 a 36mp FX body, its not because it detracted from the D4.

Just to say, I played around with a D4 yesterday (and a 1DX). Both very nice cameras and pretty much the same spec wise.

Video mode on the D4 is great and the XQD cards are VERY fast. Backlit buttons are a very useful addition.

Built-in Ethernet port on both is brilliant and so much better than the previous transmitters.

For me, the Nikon probably edges it but then I am slightly biased. Certainly the jump from D3s to D4 isn't as big as the one from 1DMk4 to 1DX.

I think there is one piece of the jigsaw missing in that analysis that states the D700 takes away from the D3...

People who bought that bought NIKON and didn't buy Canon/Sony/something else.

True but I wonder how many people who bought a D700 weren't already Nikon users....I don't know what the stats are but I bet very few photographers switch systems and I am sure Nikon know the stats.

Personally I wouldn't be surprised if once the speculated D800 has been on the shelves for a year or so the D4 might have a little brother....

Just to say, I played around with a D4 yesterday
Video mode on the D4 is great and the XQD cards are VERY fast.

More info please. And how were you able to get your hands on one?

True but I wonder how many people who bought a D700 weren't already Nikon users....I don't know what the stats are but I bet very few photographers switch systems and I am sure Nikon know the stats.

Actually, I'd say quite a few if TP is anything to gauge the world by.

I'd say the D700 is the most often lusted after "future camera" on here by a long way.

Whether or not the D800 has similar legendary status I couldn't say. At this early point in the D700's life it wasn't considered to be the weapon of choice, it took quite a long time before people started to realise what it was and what it could do - the idea of a "mere" 12mp full frame body just didn't interest the majority... until they saw what it actually was capable of.

..ignore

I for one would like the option of video on a dslr. Dont have this on the D300, but at times would love to grab some footage of the kids without having to get the camcorder out the bag and miss the moment (or not have it with me!). The DOF you will get too, and be able to mess around with focus would be great too.

I see no reason NOT to include video - there are areas of cameras that we all dont use.

And with video features of LR4 it's making it easier to edit video within the standard workflow.

And with video features of LR4 it's making it easier to edit video within the standard workflow.

Interesting- not used Lightroom since having a trial of version 2. I didn't know it now does video. Did 3 do it or just 4- don't remember 2 having it? I take it it is just a stripped down version of Premiere Pro CS5?

May look at it again- I know people use both CS5 and LR3- just never thought wow with LR so maybe my workflow doesn't suit or I'm stuck in my ways with PS.

Although I'm not a Nikon user, I am disappointed to hear that the max flash sync speed for D4 is only 1/250. For such a high end body, I think a lot of event and wedding photographers could do with 1/500 sync. The 5DII only syncs at 1/200 which is a pain in the backside if you are trying to balance a bright background against a dark foreground. You have to lower your ISO/aperture and dump more juice out of your flash or carry an ND filter.

Although I'm not a Nikon user, I am disappointed to hear that the max flash sync speed for D4 is only 1/250. For such a high end body, I think a lot of event and wedding photographers could do with 1/500 sync. The 5DII only syncs at 1/200 which is a pain in the backside if you are trying to balance a bright background against a dark foreground. You have to lower your ISO/aperture and dump more juice out of your flash or carry an ND filter.

Agreed- I think I've already posted in the thread- same max synch and max shutter- wish they would show some real innovation and push the boat out- do something truly ground breaking. I'm not going to pat them on the back for fixing things they should have got right 2yrs ago - I am a hard task master though:D

Did 3 do it or just 4-
4... Not a complete video editing suite, but you can save presets and apply things like B&W to the video...

4... Not a complete video editing suite, but you can save presets and apply things like B&W to the video...

Ah right. Thanks, may revisit once it's fully released. It's one of those pieces of software I think I must be doing something wrong by not using it but I seem to be able to do everything I want with the existing set so never really sure what the missing piece is- my skill mainly I think:LOL:

Although I'm not a Nikon user, I am disappointed to hear that the max flash sync speed for D4 is only 1/250. For such a high end body, I think a lot of event and wedding photographers could do with 1/500 sync.

You need a D70 then... high non-focal plane mode sync is only possible with electronic shutters.

Back