NIKON D4 announced

The 85g interests me a lot.

specs look good...apparently iso performance is a stop better than the d3s, so about 2 to 2 and a 1/2 stops better than the d700. Quite a jump...

I'd be interested to see how much better the dynamic range is though. It'd be nice to think that they'd really push to improve that.

Oh bugger....

Kev.

Lol - I know what you mean. My bank account is looking rather frightened at the moment.

I'm pleased to see that nikon are still prioritising performance over megapixels with D4. Still we'll have to wait for reviews to find out if that's really true.

I ask myself this: do I really need a car? :)

£4699.99

Kev.

Personal reality checks:

1. Almost twice the price of my brand new D3 when I bought it just 18 months ago.
  2. My D3 is considered 'obsolete' because of the D3s - how long before the same happens to the D4?
  3. Do I really need in camera HDR?
  4. Do I really need video?
  5. Do I wait a bit and watch the classifieds?

And list priced at £4800 compared to the £5300 for the 1Dx.

Looks to be an awesome beast.

Only had a chance to skim through it- quick thoughts are at least they have got rid of the quality button from the top and while video is much improved they could at least have pushed the boat out and gone for 60/50fps at 1920x1080. All they've done is bring it up to where everyone else has been for the last 2yrs- hardly innovative.
Screen resolution is a bit old hat now as well...

I know, I'm hard to please:D

Not at all - maybe not enough people clicking on the Donate button.

OR he's peed off that he didn't get a pre-production model to drive people to his donate button....

Been waiting for this announcement as it seemed sensible to see what was coming before taking the plunge on a D700. Guess, there's no point waiting any longer then...

The 85 1.8 certainly sounds interesting.

It was always going to be thus when Nikon already had the class leader with the D3s and Canon playing catchup with the 1DX. Not sure the D4 is going to be significantly better to drive huge numbers of existing D3s owners to upgrade so us amateurs may have to wait awhile for discount second hand kit to fall our way.

I'm still holding out for the D800 announcement. Retailers seem to think it must be imminent with several offering warrantied D700 bodies for under £1350 now.

wonder if they will issue a London 2012 Olympics logo model

as they did with the F1...?

As long as the logo isn't the stupid one that looks like a few cut out bits of paper...bah humbug.

It was always going to be thus when Nikon already had the class leader with the D3s and Canon playing catchup with the 1DX. Not sure the D4 is going to be significantly better to drive huge numbers of existing D3s owners to upgrade so us amateurs may have to wait awhile for discount second hand kit to fall our way.

I'm still holding out for the D800 announcement. Retailers seem to think it must be imminent with several offering warrantied D700 bodies for under £1350 now.

It isn't primarily a body to entice D3 owners, but D3 owners. Juat as the D3s was mainly to entice D2h/x owners that had yet to switch, not D3 owners. Upgrading bodies on two year cycles whether Dx, Dx0, Dx00 or Dx000 doesn't make sense unless you're being paid to be right on the bleeding edge (which to be fair some photographers are).

Where are you seeing new D700s for £1300? Inquiring minds...:)

any chance of the 85mm f1.8D will drop price a bit?

Probably by £10 or so - the new one seems to be coming in a chunk higher, like the 50g.

You'll probably see a fair few secondhand ones though - I'm considering swapping pending reports on AF speed and aberrations wide open.

i was thinking about buying the 85 Af-D couple of weeks back but i guess it was a wise choice to hang fire till now.

Depend on price, the AF-D new is around £280-300 and used price is from £200-250

so i don;t know yet.

Back