Nikon D4 discontinued ... D4s/D4x on the way?

What would you want in its place?

I wouldn't rely on anything you read on that website. You know what they say, even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day.

Well it is due on the basis that the D4 was announced early in 2012 and available in March 2012, and that the flagship D/Ds model is updated every two years. We also have a Winter Olympics in Sochi, where it is likely to be used even if not officially released and a World Cup where is almost certainly will be very present amongst the agencies and independent sports photographers.

I suspect we are more likely to see that than a D4x, which has no compelling event, or competitor (when you combine it with the availability of the D800/e), although the D800/e is also heading towards a 2-year anniversary.

Personally I'm exceptionally happy with my D4, vastly better after that critical firmware update - although I'll acknowledge that the 1Dx appears to shave it head to head in most areas - but not markedly and certainly not enough to switch. If the D4s when it arrives shows improvements as there were for the D3 to D3s then it will be a good upgrade to many from the D3s, and probably not enough for most independent working photographers to sell their D4 bodies unless they are EOL. It might leapfrog the 1Dx, or push Canon to have a new gen model out at the same time...

I'm on the lookout for an additional body, and so a new model would create some market for used D4 bodies, as well as push down prices on D3s bodies - so I would welcome it ;-)

What is likely is that when it is announced then we can expect to only wait 4-8 weeks for it and not 6-12 months :D

What would you want in its place?
Something at least comparable to the Canon 1Dx.The D4 has a poor battery life and duel memory card slots each of which take different design cards! It was just a waste of time Nikon producing it.The fact the Nikon D3s's have seen almost no drop in secondhand prices demonstrates (along with most reviews) that it is hardly if any better than a D3's and some say the D3's is better at higher ISO.I would say those who have Nikon D4 get rid now before the new model comes out because if they don't they will be stuck with a camera that will have a second hand value similar to a D3s. Nikon did a similar thing in 1977 when the F2 range was top dog with Fleet street,they made a new F2 called the F2SB it was rubbish and quickly binned.They are collectors items now on auction websites.The D4 is not that bad tough.I like it's light up buttons.LOL

I have reason to believe that the D4 will be replaced by a D5, not just an upgraded D4. It will incorporate a number of changes and improvements which will make it a very different camera to the D4. Sorry I can't say any more than that.

Dynamic range and low light ISO performance improvements are key for me. I've not been tempted to sell my D3s bodies for a D4, the improvements simply don't justify the expense and my D3s bodies have lots of life left in them yet. I also don't want massive file sizes, 12mp is fine for what I do (as is 16mp), anything larger will just cost me more in storage and processing time.

Apologies for my earlier post saying that the D4 successor was going to be a D5. I was told this in November, together with the information that the next FX lens was going to be a 35mm f1.8. When that appeared, I assumed that the information about the D5 was also correct, and clearly it wasn't.

I'll be seriously looking at a D4/D4s once everything is confirmed price and spec wise. I've been using the D3 for the past (nearly) 4 years now and while it's still outstanding in most aspects, the D3S, D4 and now D4S really do show how quality has come on in leaps and bounds since it's release over 6 years ago

The D4 was not a major leap up from the D3s and in my opinion had some disadvantages, e.g. different card slots and even the XQD card itself - will be interesting to see whether the D4s makes a worthwhile jump.

Apologies for my earlier post saying that the D4 successor was going to be a D5. I was told this in November, together with the information that the next FX lens was going to be a 35mm f1.8. When that appeared, I assumed that the information about the D5 was also correct, and clearly it wasn't.
Yes, OK, i always find that baby wipes are best for wiping egg off ones face

Nikon announces development of D4S professional 'HD-SLR'

CES 2014: Nikon has announced it is working on the D4S which, like the D4, it describes as an 'HD-SLR.' Details are extremely slight, with the company promising a new image-processing engine and improved autofocus performance. All further details, including price and announcement and availability dates will follow later. The camera will be on display at the CES trade show, so we'll try to get some pictures of it, as soon as we can.

See quote above lifted from DPreview

The D4 was not a major leap up from the D3s and in my opinion had some disadvantages, e.g. different card slots and even the XQD card itself - will be interesting to see whether the D4s makes a worthwhile jump.

I totally agree, and why I didn't upgrade. Be nice if they went back to the two CF card slots, and maybe a few more megapixels?

As long as they aren't used ones :)
From what I remember from years ago when my two boys were very young the used ones can look as if they have egg on them already ;)

I totally agree, and why I didn't upgrade. Be nice if they went back to the two CF card slots, and maybe a few more megapixels?

Dual CF's will be nice, sensor is reported to be the same 16mp but with some new wizardry to improve ISO performance (similar to DF I would guess).

Dual CF's will be nice, sensor is reported to be the same 16mp but with some new wizardry to improve ISO performance (similar to DF I would guess).

Will be interesting. The Df managed to better the D4 high ISO with the same sensor and the same processor (Expeed 3). The D4s is reported to have the same sensor but a new processor, the Expeed 4 - so it should also better the Df. Hopefully significantly, ala the improvement in high ISO from D3 to D3s - that would be impressive.

Regarding the card slots, which ever way Nikon have decided to go, dual CF, dual XQD or 1 CF and 1 XQD they will be wrong as they can't avoid upsetting someone. I personally think they will stick with the safest bet, 1 of each keeping it the same as the D4.

Couldn't agree more. I won't be buying a new D4s when they come out though as I burned my fingers with the D4 and its technical issues which were fixed in later shipments (sheared off lens release pin etc)

Card wise I'd be more than happy with 2 x XQD as they blow compactflash out of the water

Last edited:
If Nikon don't get this camera right that's two duffers in a row.At pro level! It has almost been embarrassing meeting someone who had bought a D4. They would say looking at my D3s"did you not think of buying a D4" I would just say "I am waiting for the D4s" to be polite.
If the D4s is not right I shall be looking to move on.

If Nikon don't get this camera right that's two duffers in a row.At pro level! It has almost been embarrassing meeting someone who had bought a D4. They would say looking at my D3s"did you not think of buying a D4" I would just say "I am waiting for the D4s" to be polite.
If the D4s is not right I shall be looking to move on.

I had better start refunding all my clients who over the last 2 years have been happily buying images I have made from my D4 then :rolleyes:

I moved from D3 bodies to the D4, and whilst I probably wouldn't have moved from a D3s to the D4, and won't move to the D4s from it because the half jump doesn't make financial sense for me (I work on a 3.5-4 year replacement cycle for bodies) there really isn't anything disastrously wrong with it. It did have a lock-up fault on release which was intermittent but a pain, although it could be worked around, and was fixed quickly, and the AF was improved dramatically in a firmware update to better compete with the 1Dx but it was far from being
a duffer even at release. Clearly you never had the *pleasure* of using Canon 1D MKIIIs - now that body was a lemon :runaway:.

My guess: D4s will have 4k video at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, built-in wireless LAN? Can't wait for D3s to get cheaper :)

I upgraded to a D4 (from a D700) and I love it, its a superb bit of kit. In terms of the lack of love for it, you would certainly get that from using it.

I like the XQD personally, but good to see they keep the CF slots also.

I've held on to my D3s's since the D4 came out. I guess if I'd been loaded I would have upgraded but I'm not and I haven't. And in hindsight I'm glad I've held on to them. 12mp is plenty for a wedding photographer (and I have a D800 for when I want it) and the ISO performance (by all accounts) is superior on the D3s.

Now, if the D4 is a significant jump in ISO performance (as the D3s was to the D3) then I might be tempted to get one. But even then I'm not sure it's a need. I really do think the D3s is perfect for my line of work :)

Now, if the D4 is a significant jump in ISO performance (as the D3s was to the D3) then I might be tempted to get one.
... Isn't the D3s only just over a third of a stop better? (0.4f stops).

Not actually much difference and looking at the tests on dpreview it's quite clear there isn't much difference, certainly not enough to justify a jump solely based on ISO.

My guess: D4s will have 4k video at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, built-in wireless LAN? Can't wait for D3s to get cheaper :)

The second of those, it bloody well should do.
The first, I'll be happy but still eat my hat.
Wireless lan? hah they're too happy charging out the arse for a little dongle to build that in...

... Isn't the D3s only just over a third of a stop better? (0.4f stops).

Not actually much difference and looking at the tests on dpreview it's quite clear there isn't much difference, certainly not enough to justify a jump solely based on ISO.

If you mean is the D3s a third of a stop better than the D3. Not in my experience. It's far superior. Well over a stop as far as I'm concerned.

If you mean is the D3s a third of a stop better than the D3. Not in my experience. It's far superior. Well over a stop as far as I'm concerned.
Ok, well DxO has the D3 and D3s down to 2290 and 3253 respectively making it .4/.5 of a stop I believe, which looks pretty accurate on comparisons at high iso. I also have found the dxo figures accurate to all the cameras I've upgraded and owned.

Just my unbiased opinion.

Believe me Phil that's simply not correct. I've edited thousands of images from D700 (same sensor as D3) and from the D3s and the D3s out performs the ISO by a large margin.

Take comfort in nerdy tests if you will but believe me, from real world experience the difference is signicant. And certainly worth the cost of upgrade if you shoot a lot in poor light.

Having owned a D700 and looking at many similar D3s images there is a noticable improvement in the D3s high iso.
Not having a go phil but i seem to recall you regarding the D7000 to D700 difference as minimal/none in iso.

Hopefully it will be a marked improvement as said, so the D3s prices come down more,because regardless of whats said there prices have started to fall and this may push them further down.Then i may finally get one to accompany my d800.

If its not I'm worried nikon has fallen of the wagon totally..still no D400 or D700 replacement in many peoples eyes(yes the D800 is but its not what a lot wanted) and the DF seems to have been a major sore point to the majority regardless of nikon saying its sold out..the price is too high and most reviews say unless you buy it for the looks it really doesn't function well in general use(a step backwards).The D4 didnt even make the impact/jump in performance many expected, then theres all the issues with the D4/D800/D600 and the many reports of bad customer services and claims of impact damage.

Having owned a D700 and looking at many similar D3s images there is a noticable improvement in the D3s high iso.
Not having a go phil but i seem to recall you regarding the D7000 to D700 difference as minimal/none in iso.
When did I say that???? You're not confusing the person or the conversation??

I just think of you're comparing iso then it has to be fair and worth the same scene otherwise what's the point??

'Real world' isn't a good enough response for the above unless it's the same image for both bodies.

*Edit*

You are confused, I remember now.

About a year ago we were having a discussion on reasons to upgrade to fx and I said 1 stop wasn't enough of a difference for me to upgrade. Personally.

Others thought 1 stop was a massive difference...

Last edited:
Back