Nikon D40 internal mirror

Name
Dwayne Mathers
Edit My Images
Yes
hi everyone.

i have a nikon D40 and the internal mirror seems to get bits of dust on it. i have used cotton buds in past to try and remove but lately this doesnt seem to be working as well.

is there a better method for cleaning this mirror

9 times out of 10 I would say a rocket blower would blast dust off the mirror/sensor quite easily. If you're having to use swabs it must be some pretty tough dust you have on the mirror.

Also, are you sure the dust is on the mirror and not on the sensor? Dust on the mirror doesn't show up as much as it does if its on the sensor.

hi everyone.

i have a nikon D40 and the internal mirror seems to get bits of dust on it. i have used cotton buds in past to try and remove but lately this doesnt seem to be working as well.

is there a better method for cleaning this mirror

I would advise against touching the mirror unless it is so dirty it's causing problems with focusing/exposure. The surface of the mirror is, unlike a conventional mirror, silvered on the FRONT surface and as such easily scratched. Also remember that the mirror will reflect whatever dust/debris is on the focusing screen or in the pentamirror area, so the dust you're seeing may not actually be on the mirror at all.

Agreed - just leave well alone. Dust on a mirror doesn't show in images...

thanks gofer.

i have had some instances when it has been small dust particles on the mirror itself which is a nightmare and i try to avoi touching as much as possible.

i know i can clean these small blemishes up during photoshop but it just means spending time id rather not

i know i can clean these small blemishes up during photoshop but it just means spending time id rather not

See my post above - dust on a mirror does not appear in images, the mirror flips out the way when you press the button!

Clean your sensor if you are getting dust spots! Don't touch the mirror!

i assume the sensor is the bit inside the shutter, this is what i was meaning by mirror.

im getting slightly confused i think.

if im wrong where is the sensor

Christ, you are seriously poking at your sensor with cotton buds!?

Make sure you Google sensor cleaning (look for "Copper Hill method") - please don't poke at it with cotton buds :)

right read his so i can use the tissue suff u get from camera stores and add methonal, i just need to find methonal from somewhere

Back