Nikon D40 too small in the hands - any ideas?

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I hasve sort of fallen out of taking photos for the past few months and part of the reason I think is because my Nikon D40 is just too small in my hands and I don't feel entirely comfortable with it. I have quite big hands and was in the market for a reasonably priced DSLR to replace it. On ebay I reckon I can get about £140 for it (without bundled 18-55 lens). I'd be willing to put that funds along with about the same of my own money into getting a bigger DSLR for £300. I realise this isn't much for a newer one and it would obviously have to be used. I was thinking maybe the D100? It's quite an old design though, but is it too old? Would I feel like I have taken a step back in quality?

Also I don't wanna sink too much into a bigger body because I know the money should really be going on nicer lenses.

You could add an afternarket grip, that's what I did with my D40, totaly transforms the camera, for about £30...

grip it ! , i had the same feeling with my 450D , put a cheap chinese grip on it ( good quality for the money ) and it feels far better balanced , plus it looks more like a 1D :LOL:

edit -- beaten by a minute !!!

You could add an afternarket grip, that's what I did with my D40, totaly transforms the camera, for about £30...

Yup a good priced option. The only other one is a model upgrade which is more expensive.

and here's me with smaller hands than a 14 year old girl (my little sister) who feels the D40 is perfect size :LOL:

You would, I think notice a substantial difference... The D100 is stone-age technology as far as digital cameras are concerned - I'd rather use film than an early DSLR to be perfectly honest...

Look at buying second-hand maybe? People are off-loading D300 bodies at fairly reasonable prices now and you can expect D90's to be shifting shortly as the replacement for that model becomes available...

I feel a D300 is to small without a grip.

Hahnel D40 grip on a D40

will also fit a D5000 when you trade up
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

yardbent, is that textured plastic on the grip in the same style as the D40 itself or just smooth plastic?

I saw a youtube video of as grip where the guy said it was advertised as textured plastic when it wasn'[t and he found that very disappointing.

Found this on amazon, very cheap and has good reviews. One in particular said it even has the same appearance as the D40 body in the plastic's look so it compliments it nicely:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Battery-Nikon-D3000-D5000-EN-EL9/dp/B003FW2EFO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited:
yardbent, is that textured plastic on the grip in the same style as the D40 itself or just smooth plastic?

can you see a "panel" across the front face - that is textured - the rest is smooth. rear view on D5000
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

the Link delight one has a "lump" [technical term] on the LHS - which i didn't like

As soon as the D7000 comes out, the D90 will drastically drop in value.

I wouldn't bother with the D40 grip. Just wait (and save while you are waiting) for the D90 price drop.

As soon as it's out, hit ebay and you're set. Flog the 18-55 D40 lens too, get the 18-105 that comes with the D90.

if you do get a grip
removing the battery compartment door is butt-clenching time as it is fragile

raise the door 30degrees and FIRMLY twist off....stores in the grip itself

Yes

A grip is defo the anwser, I put one on my canon EOS 1000d and it totally transformed the handling of the camera

Best regards

As soon as the D7000 comes out, the D90 will drastically drop in value.

I wouldn't bother with the D40 grip. Just wait (and save while you are waiting) for the D90 price drop.

As soon as it's out, hit ebay and you're set. Flog the 18-55 D40 lens too, get the 18-105 that comes with the D90.

There's a d90 selling on ebay right now with the bundled 18-105 lens with it selling for £525 with 45m to go. How much would this drop by roughly do you think following the announcement of a new camera?

removing the battery compartment door is butt-clenching time as it is fragile

On my D90 I carefully filed the slot so the battery door just slides in and out (oh er) much better if you intend using the grip on occassions but not all of the time...

(that said, now its on thats it......it isnt coming off.)

Before forking out on a grip (of whatever manufacture, supplier etc), try one and see if that solves the problem and if YOU like the way the camera handles with it fitted. I know I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.

IMO, the OP may be better off trading his D40 in for a D70(s) - same pixel count but a bigger body and more to grab hold of.

I'm pretty sure a grip for your D40 won't trigger the shutter without some sort of hackery to trigger the IR post which would be a bit nasty.

The D100 is very nice, you will find it soft compared to your D40 and pretty slow, I think you'd find it backward step.

Thanks for all your replies guys.

I bought that £30 grip on amazon, it's not too much money wasted if it;s no good and I probably could flog it on ebay for like £20 anway in the event of that.

Back