Nikon D4s vs Nikon D810 tracking focus

Name
Chris Tarling
Edit My Images
No
I'm after an opinion or three please from anyone who has experience of both cameras.

I shoot a lot of animals (www.yellowhound.co.uk) and am now looking to replace my back-up camera. I was going to buy another D810 body but my only criticism of the D810 is its focus performance.

My technique can always be improved (and that will always be true) but am wondering whether it might actually be worth going for a D4s in the search for better follow-focus performance. My particular problem is with dogs which generally move very quickly. My aim is always to try to get the eyes sharp but there always seems to be some lag in the D810 focus. Having gone through all the focus modes I've come back to what I've always used - a selected single point with AF-C. I get a good proportion of keepers but also find a fair proportion where the focus is just behind the dog's head, even though the focus point is where I want it. My main lens is the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VRII and I have tuned this to the camera using AF fine tune. Apertures tend to be quite wide but typically f4-f5. I use auto ISO setting a min of 400, max of 3200 with a shutter speed set of 1/1250.

My feeling is that there is a degree of focus lag - i.e. the focus isn't quite keeping up with the subject. There may also be a contrast issue as a lot of dogs are uniform in colour and hence the camera may be struggling with a focus system based on contrast.

Stationary dogs are absolutely no problem - the shots are as sharp as I could hope for.

Would a D4s give me more consistent results? Does it have a more responsive focus system with fast moving subjects or is the main advantage its higher frame rate (not really an issue for me)?

TIA

Have you tried Group Area AF mode as its designed for the contrast type issues you mention. I just bought the D4s so havent had time to have a play with it as yet but the quick focussing is one of the reasons i bought it. Im sure soneone will be along to comment. Are you able to up your F stop slightly to give you a larger in focus area to compensate until you get a soloution as your shutter speeds suggest you could.

I've tried group AF but it tends to be hit or miss as to whether the eyes are in focus. I much prefer the certainty of a single point and honing my technique. I guess this isn't a huge problem for me as I think my success rate with this type of shot is reasonable but as I'm looking to replace a camera I thought it made sense to look into it.

Hi Chris, I recently had the same issues as you, as I shoot a lot of dogs as well.
Here is my post on the subject https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/help-needed-with-focusing-issue.574980/page-2#post-6673423

It would seem the D810 and D4s share the same autofocus system, so your unlikely to see an improvement in the D4s. Shooting very fast subjects that are coming towards you seems to be the most difficult thing for an autofocus system to cope with!

I ended up using single point AF, and BBF set to AFC. But in the end you will never get 100% keepers, I generally get about 30-40% where the focus is spot on now, and if I'm lucky about 10% will be of the dog on a good stride with ears up.

I'm in the same camp as Chris & also possibly looking at the D4s if only because:

40% of keepers @ 11FPS = 4 frames
40% of keepers @ 5FPS = 2 frames

It's not helped by the D810 being half the price of the D4s.

Hi Chris, I recently had the same issues as you, as I shoot a lot of dogs as well.
Here is my post on the subject https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/help-needed-with-focusing-issue.574980/page-2#post-6673423

It would seem the D810 and D4s share the same autofocus system, so your unlikely to see an improvement in the D4s. Shooting very fast subjects that are coming towards you seems to be the most difficult thing for an autofocus system to cope with!

I ended up using single point AF, and BBF set to AFC. But in the end you will never get 100% keepers, I generally get about 30-40% where the focus is spot on now, and if I'm lucky about 10% will be of the dog on a good stride with ears up.

Ah yes, I remember your post. Yes, I agree that it's an extreme test of AF. Didn't realise the D810/D4s use the same system.

I'm in the same camp as Chris & also possibly looking at the D4s if only because:

40% of keepers @ 11FPS = 4 frames
40% of keepers @ 5FPS = 2 frames

It's not helped by the D810 being half the price of the D4s.

Now that's an interesting perspective. Not sure it works out like that in practicality though ;)

I've used both and I'm not sure that you would notice a difference between the D4S & D810 per se, though the faster frame rate of the D4S might get you the shot. Single point AF is great when you get it right but if you only miss slightly it makes a big difference, especially in something moving fast and possibly erratically. AF alone wouldn't be a reason to get the D4S when you have a D810 IMO. :)

I'm a single point man but f2.8 doesn't allow you any leeway on a fast moving subject. It may be I get the D810 if only due to the extra 25% fps over my D800e.

It comes down to images - @ 5fps you only get 5 to get it right, 11fps gives you double to choose from...

Thats the difference between a Sports camera & a capable all rounder.

Limited buffer, 1/4000 max & 6.5fps keep stopping me looking at this...

Have you tried tweaking the Focus Tracking with Lock-On options? it may help some.

I also run my d800e the same way - lock off - found my percentage went up a bit..

Been looking at hiring a D4S so I can do a direct comparison with my D810 but it's quite an expensive thing to do.
Does Nikon ever do a 'try before you buy' at any of the dealers, or is it worth talking to one of the larger dealers?

Back