Nikon D50 SD memory card problems

Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

I bought a D50 on eBay last year (think it was from a bloke on here) it works nice and Peachy, but lately I've tried 2 different SD cards in it and the camera says both cards can't be used, one's a 16 Gig, the other a 32 Gig.

What size cards does the D50 take? I did purchase a D3000 on eBay last year as well, but I ended up giving it away on Freegle because it wouldn't sell on eBay despite being listed at least twice, because I wanted a camera that does videos as well as still images, shame as the D3000 was quite a nice camera, not too big, and quite user friendly.

Anyway, the SD card issue, can anyone help before I bung the D50 back on eBay and mention the SD card issues?

Max 2gb SD card if I remember rightly so the 2 you mention won't work

Last edited:
I don't know that particular camera, but have had a similar message from a couple of Canon cameras. A low level format of the card has fixed it. Oh, and just make sure the read-only switch is not selected on the card.

A quick google suggests the D50 does not shoot video

Glad you're back on here Richard and doing OK. Yes I have a D50 too, and it's only a 2GB SD card max.

FWIW I looked at the online manual and oddly it does not seem to mention the max capacity!

I did however find this page where it states max 1GB depending on card maker

So, I wonder if @Gremlin and @stickytape saying 2GB is a firmware update(d) question?

A quick google suggests the D50 does not shoot video

It seems, having looked in the manual, something that may confuse the unwary is that it has a "video output" socket BUT this is (purely) for connecting to a TV to view your still images on the TV.....and nothing to do with the D50 shooting in video mode!

It’s 100 percent 2GB max. That’s the max for SD cards. The next ones that came along were SDHC which are 2GB plus capacity - which is NOT the ones the D50 is compatible with. Any SD card under 2GB will work just fine

I doubt you could get anything over 2gb when the D50 manual was written.
Remember having a Canon FF that needed a firmware update to up the SD card size it could use.

Last edited:
Thanks lads.

Looks like I need to pop on Amazon and buy a card less than 2 Gig then.
You will struggle to find such small sizes new on Amazon now, so I'd suggest ebay. This one at 4.59 is fine, and would do you good. You should get about 500 photos plus in the highest quality JPEG on a 2gb card on the D50 if I remember.

So, I wonder if @Gremlin and @stickytape saying 2GB is a firmware update(d) question?

Having actually owned a D50 any years ago I can assure that it took 2gb SD cards

You will struggle to find such small sizes new on Amazon now, so I'd suggest ebay. This one at 4.59 is fine, and would do you good. You should get about 500 photos plus in the highest quality JPEG on a 2gb card on the D50 if I remember.

I think I might've got a 2 Gig floating about at Home, that I bought specifically for the D50, I'll have a look.

I was looking to see if I could get a CF to SD converter for my D100 and was looking at 2GB cards on Amazon. Yes they still do them. under the Cloudisk brand. I don't know if they will work.

@MrRichAllen1976 - Hi Rich, good to see you back on TP :wave:

I have a 2GB SD card from my mum's old camera that you can have. Just pm me with your address and I'll put it in the post for you (y)

I bought a d50 when they brand new in 2005. Fond memories of that camera.
Very old hat now and most definitely doesn’t shoot video.

Back