Nikon D5300 Owners thread

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
Welcome to the new Nikon D5300 owners thread

Last edited:
I cannot be the only owner of this camera.......??

Thats what I thought..............:):nikon:

Done...............................................................:cool:

Hi
I have just got one. Got rid of my last SLR well over 30 years ago ( became too heavy and too much kit to carry round when I may only take a couple of photos) but now want to come off point and click. Just forgotten about settings so need to do lots of practice and reading. Still do not understand about changing ISO as years ago I had to buy film with set ISO (I think I used to buy Agfa 400 ISO slide film) so this was speed of writing to storage medium so this must be my 45mb/s or 60mb/s onto SD card.

Hi and welcome, you will soon find your way around the camera controls. If I were you I would leave the ISO on auto for the moment.

I just got a 5300 yesterday and starting to learn how to use it. So far everything seems to work fine but there is one thing that is really starting to annoy me. Most of the settings are available though the rear screen, fine. The trouble is that I don't want the settings to ping up after every shot and I don't want to have to keep turning the screen around. Am I doing something wrong or does this irritate others?

So still very much learning to use this camera. So far so good and I thought that I'd add the cure to my issue (above). Doesn't look like this camera is too well used by the folk on this forum, but hope it helps someone!

When you depress the shutter, the LCD goes off but pops back on when you release the shutter. Tis gives a light below your eye and I found distracting. The cure when chatting with a Nikon rep was to turn the brightness of the LCD down or to keep turning the LCD round so that it doesn't bother you. Actually the better idea is to set the 'Auto info Display to off. The camera f/shutter/iso settings come up by pressing the 'info' button and the 'menu' button brings up the menu. If this is in the manual, I missed it several times when looking.

I intend to get some screen protectors to protect the LCD screen and leave it facing out. Problem solved.

image.jpeg I have liked myD5300 so far but have just found a could of things that I can't seem to fathom and can't find anything about in the manual I downloaded from the Nikon Europe support website. Can anyone tell me what the icon of the hand with double brackets around is for?image.jpeg
On the second image I have suddenly started to get this across a photo I have just taken and cannot seem to get rid of it nor can I find anything in the manual that refers to it. It is there spas soon as I have taken a photo and still on photo if I want to view it later.
Probably both something simple, I just cannot find them in manual.

Afternoon. The 5300 is a great camera but it is taking some getting used to by me also.

The icon with the double brackets is an indicator that you are likely to get a blurred image if you take the picture at the current settings. The clue is the banner at the bottom telling you the the subject is too dark. *I think* that the camera is set as ISO 100 and it would prefer ISO 12800 at the current Aperture priority setting. You have a couple of choices that involve getting in more light, increase the aperture, decrease the shutter, increase the ISO or use the flash or a combination of all.

I have an issue allowing the ISO to go to automatic. I think that the way around this is to try taking images however you normally want to use it, then incrementally increase the ISO to the max. Review the pictures to find out just where you think the picture drops to an unacceptable quality. Then set the maximum ISO and allow the camera to control that. You then just have to worry about aperture and shutter.

Last edited:
I do't have my camera to hand, but pretty sure the smaller picture of the rear LCD is just information about the image. Try pushing the centre controller up or down and you'll get a different view. I prefer a histogram so that I can see how balanced the image is.

Thanks all
I will have a look at what you say. Don't have camera to hand as needed to go out to get wifi coverage.

View attachment 56728 I have liked myD5300 so far but have just found a could of things that I can't seem to fathom and can't find anything about in the manual I downloaded from the Nikon Europe support website. Can anyone tell me what the icon of the hand with double brackets around is for?View attachment 56729
On the second image I have suddenly started to get this across a photo I have just taken and cannot seem to get rid of it nor can I find anything in the manual that refers to it. It is there spas soon as I have taken a photo and still on photo if I want to view it later.

Could it be image Stabilisation maybe ? On or off. At least that is what it is on my Fuji, hand surrounded by a bracket to simulate movement: IS MODE

Last edited:
Just picked up a d5500 and 85 1.8g and the new 18-55mm af-p and have to say really impressed with it.I had a d5100 many moons ago and cant believe how much things have moved on.love the touch screen also.Just sat here waiting for amazon to deliver my 40mm macro.(hope its ok to post in here lol)

Nice and sharp mate! Amazon just delivered my 40mm so looking forward to trying that out this week at some point.

Cheers Chris...I'm sure i will.Its not for anything serious macro wise as tbh its a little short length wise but close focusing ability will come in handy.

yes it seems a nice sharp lens,think i have something i took with it,I really liked it but because it was close to my 35 i sold it but i would be more than happy to have it still if funds allowed
that D5500 is a really nice camera,couldn't quite afford it at the time i bought the D3300 but it was my 1st choice along with the D5300

It was a toss up between the 35mm or the 40 macro but had the 35mm before and wasnt overly taken by it tbh so went for the macro. I was all set on getting a fuji set up but was out and about at weekend and saw the 5300 in currys and couldnt believe the size of it and how nice it felt in the hand so went home and done some browsing!..Stumbled across the 5500 and rest is history.Wasnt going to get another dslr but couldnt resist

TBH mate I have no idea lol..Its more compact and apparently alot smoother whilst zooming during video optically I think the models are similar.

Yes the 85mm is stunning it was on my want list before I sold my last dslr a d300s but never got round to getting it.had a 85mm 1.4 few years back and loved it and have to say early impressions of the 1.8g version are very good.

View attachment 56728 I have liked myD5300 so far but have just found a could of things that I can't seem to fathom and can't find anything about in the manual I downloaded from the Nikon Europe support website. Can anyone tell me what the icon of the hand with double brackets around is for?View attachment 56729

The hand in double brackets indicates the 'Vibration reduction indicator' - page 6 - http://download.nikonimglib.com/archive2/BTcII00t9KUv024jW9c13oRqeg68/D5300VRRM_(En)02.pdf

Jonbeeza and Chuckoir - thanks for your help. I am using Tamron 16-300 as my only lens, I have tuned IS off and hand disappears. I just don't understand why it has not always been showing as I have always had it on since I bought camera and lens.

Back