Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Yes mate,

The book is specific for the Nikon D5100 and has clear pictures and explanations for all of its settings.

I am finding it very useful but this is my first digital camera.

Might be worth finding a copy and having a thumb through before committing to any purchase.

V

Thank you. I will give it a go!

Hi everyone, after owning a d50 for about a year my fiance yesterday bought me a d5100 for my birthday. She also bought me an 18-105 nikkor lens so am selling the kit lens.Im really looking fwd to using and learning to use my gorgeous new toy.

Just got my Meike grip and second battery brought out from the UK and I think it helps balance the camera (with the 70-300mm lens on) and makes it easier for my pudgy hands to hold it.

For the price (paid £30 for it) I am quite happy.

kevinposty said:
Hi everyone, after owning a d50 for about a year my fiance yesterday bought me a d5100 for my birthday. She also bought me an 18-105 nikkor lens so am selling the kit lens.Im really looking fwd to using and learning to use my gorgeous new toy.

She must love you!!!

Hope you enjoy it and please show us some of your work !!

V

is there a definitive list of third party lenses for the 5100 (sigma and tamron) or how do i know they have full function s in the cam particularly interested in 50mm sigma 2.8 macro

is there a definitive list of third party lenses for the 5100 (sigma and tamron) or how do i know they have full function s in the cam particularly interested in 50mm sigma 2.8 macro

Hi. Not sure about the Tamron lenses but for Sigmas, you need to be getting one with HSM in the title. This is the equivalent of AF-S in Nikon language that we need as the camera has no built in focus motor so it has to be in the lens.
I have a Sigma 10-20 HSM for mine as well as the 18-55 AF-S kit lens and a 55-300 AF-S that i bought.

Phil

Going to an Irish Road Racing event soon and wandering what is the best settings for the D5100 are for capturing motorbikes on the move. Only have the camera one week and it is my first DLSR. Still trying to get my head around ISO, apeture, shutter speed..... lol

I will be looking out for David Bausch book, and by the way great camera it has turned my bad shots good and the good ones even better..

Hi Scott. Welcome to talk photography. As john above says use the search feature at the top of the page and you will find a number of threads on shooting fast moving objects like cars, bikes etc. The d5100 is a great wee camera, I love mine.

Djedave said:
Just ordered a d5100 with 18-105 lens. Cannot wait now until I get it. Thinking what I need to go with it.....

Bag
Remote release
Protector for the lens
Memory card

Welcome mate,
The first thing I bought was a class 10 16 gb memory card and then a rucksack style bag to put it all on.
Other than that it was just a case of getting out there and having a go to see what sort of results I would get.
Enjoy the camera as it is exceptionally good.
V

scot said:
Going to an Irish Road Racing event soon and wandering what is the best settings for the D5100 are for capturing motorbikes on the move. Only have the camera one week and it is my first DLSR. Still trying to get my head around ISO, apeture, shutter speed..... lol

I will be looking out for David Bausch book, and by the way great camera it has turned my bad shots good and the good ones even better..

Welcome mate,

Sadly I've been really busy with the house and work so not had any opportunity to get out and about with the camera recently to try some of the techniques mentioned in the book.

To start with I would be tempted to put the camera into shutter priority mode and select a speed that captures the feel of the event... Possibly not so fast as to freeze all of the action and not too slow so that you capture some movement without blurring the main subject. The brightness on the day may restrict your options but this let's the camera take care of the other settings.
I would also put the ISO and white balance on auto to start with.
Don't forget to show us the results!!!
V

Thanks guys for the advice, not long to the event. Hope fully I will get a few shots good enough to show.... and then sit back for some good old constructive criticism and go forward from there.

Vinny v said:
Welcome mate,
The first thing I bought was a class 10 16 gb memory card and then a rucksack style bag to put it all on.
Other than that it was just a case of getting out there and having a go to see what sort of results I would get.
Enjoy the camera as it is exceptionally good.
V

Thanks mate, should get it tomorrow so cannot wait.

well done Scott you should be pleased with them for your first posting, by the shot counts you've been a busy boy. The shot of the steps does it for me - nicely composed, perhaps a tighter crop on the left to hide the bannister on the wall would make it a little tidier, otherwise excellent start.

Thanks Norm. I have some ideas and have seen some new location's just started to read a book to understand the fundamentals of DSLR. Hope to improve in time. Enjoyed your portraits. very nice indeed.

scot said:
Thanks Norm. I have some ideas and have seen some new location's just started to read a book to understand the fundamentals of DSLR. Hope to improve in time. Enjoyed your portraits. very nice indeed.

Wow, some very nice shots with my favourite being the steps.
Nice blue sky ....... Original or Processed ?? I'm actually thinking original.
If that's a start then looks like you've selected a cracking hobby !!!!
I must get out more !!
V

I can now say I'm the proud owner of a D5100 not I just need to get out and about with it

Sootchucker said:
I have a D3, A D2X and and a D300, but still prefer to use my D5100. As Ray has said, it's very comfortable upto ISO6400, and is very nearly a match for my D3 (just not quite).

Very light, very easy to use, good battery life, great Video (albeit without manual control) and excellent exposure, and excellent resolution from it's 16mp (D7000) sensor.

Actually, because I was so used to my D3 and D2x bodies, it felt too small, so I added a really cheap Mielke grip to mine, and it improves the feel 100% (and takes 2 batteries).

The articulated screen is a joy to use, and certainly makes it more expensive bigger brothers look a little backward on that front. Absolutely love playing around with the effects modes (especially selective colour and minature).

The only thing I have changed is to select the custom button function below the flash to ISO, and have ISO displayed in the viewfinder rather than frames remaining.

Negatives, well it doesn't have a built in focus motor, so AFS lenses only (unless you don't mind manual focus), doesn't have wireless CLS master function for the flash, and only one command dial (not two like I'm used to). But to be honest for the price, I think it's a fantastic fun little camera, and coupled with decent glass would be hard to tell apart from much more expensive bodies.

Encouraging to hear. I have been thinking of selling my D90 and grabbing a 5100 but can't help but think its a downgrade due to loss of internal motor, top LCD and two thumb dials. Reading your post has put some of my worries to rest (esp. being able to reassign a dedicated ISO button). I also have big hands but never considered a second party grip. Will look into the Mielke.

Has anyone used one with a longish, heavy lens? I have a 70-300mm and wonder whether it would feel very front heavy?

Not sure about the 70-300, but I use a 105 VR macro on mine and its a little front heavy. Not enough to discourage me from using it though, I normally stick to a 3 fast prime set up now. 35, 50, and 85.

I have a D5100 and the 70-300 before I put the Meike grip on it did feel a little front heavy but with the grip and extra battery it feels well balanced now. And better grip for my chubby fingers :D

After having sold all my DSLR gear which was a D3100 and moving to micro 4/3 ive decided to make the move back.

Keeping my gx1 but ordered a d5100 from HDEW cameras last night. Tried a few other places for the cashback but a lot of places are out of stock at the moment probably due to the cashback deal so no cashback but cheaper camera even though its a grey import.

Andy.

Thunderbird010 said:
After having sold all my DSLR gear which was a D3100 and moving to micro 4/3 ive decided to make the move back.

Keeping my gx1 but ordered a d5100 from HDEW cameras last night. Tried a few other places for the cashback but a lot of places are out of stock at the moment probably due to the cashback deal so no cashback but cheaper camera even though its a grey import.

Andy.

Let us know how you get on with them. I was tempted by their prices but worried about service and warranty.

Cyprio said:
Let us know how you get on with them. I was tempted by their prices but worried about service and warranty.

I actually emailed them regarding the warranty and got a reply back within half an hour. They said if there is a fault within the first 7 days then they will refund or send a new camera. After this time you then send the camera back to hdew with a copy of the invoice and they forward it on to the Nikon repair centre in Glasgow.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong with it but if it does then there's the 3 year warranty with the camera. I was a bit sceptical about using them but found really good reviews and thought would give it a try but paid by credit card in case of any problems.

Will let you know when I receive it I will have 2 lenses tomorrow but no camera!!!

Andy

Thunderbird010 said:
I actually emailed them regarding the warranty and got a reply back within half an hour. They said if there is a fault within the first 7 days then they will refund or send a new camera. After this time you then send the camera back to hdew with a copy of the invoice and they forward it on to the Nikon repair centre in Glasgow.

Hopefully nothing will go wrong with it but if it does then there's the 3 year warranty with the camera. I was a bit sceptical about using them but found really good reviews and thought would give it a try but paid by credit card in case of any problems.

Will let you know when I receive it I will have 2 lenses tomorrow but no camera!!!

Andy

I got mine from hdew last week. Great service, great camera and great lens.

Well really impressed with HDEW ordered Monday night and received camera on Thursday would definitely recommend them.

Andy

Just walked past a Jessops and couldn't help myself from walking in. Guess what - they had 3 bodies in stock and now they have 2! :)

Cyprio said:
Just walked past a Jessops and couldn't help myself from walking in. Guess what - they had 3 bodies in stock and now they have 2! :)

Has somebody been shopping 😊??

Yup! I'm moving from a D90 to this so it's been a bit of a shock re size and lack of external controls. However the sensor looks pretty stunning!

Cyprio said:
Yup! I'm moving from a D90 to this so it's been a bit of a shock re size and lack of external controls. However the sensor looks pretty stunning!

Don't forget the Nikon cash back offer. I think it is approximately £50 !!!

V

I'm new to DSLR's but after a bit of research plumped for a 5100, been great up to now, added a Tokina 11-16 lens to the 18-55 kit lens that it came with, looking now for a decent macro/prime lens, so if anyone has any suggestions......

Just bought a d5000 second hand as a starter to this world. Was recommended by someone at the camera club who let me play with it for a day

bl0at3r said:
not much of an owners thread !!! 2 whole pages.:wacky:

Just bought a D5100 to replace the D3100 - will mainly be using it with my 35mm f1.8 prime :D

Sorry, we are all busy out shooting with ours lol :-D Congratulations on the upgrade! A colleague at work also just got one with the cashback :) I mainly have the 35 on mine too, love the primes!

i'd have kept the 3100 if it would have had exposure bracketing, but the 5100 also offers a better sensor, better higher iso and feels faster, oh and it is only a few mm each way bigger (y)

come to think of it maybe i should ditch the Lumix GX1 and keep the 2 Nikon bodies - share the same battery, lenses etc :help::shrug:

Last edited:
Back