Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Ahh Thank you, that has settled my mind, I really liked the body of the 550d and the images I took in the shop looked quite good, just obviously it all changes when you actually use them in real shooting. But don’t get me wrong I love my D5100 too :) I think I’d only jump to canon if I could afford a 5D of some sort, the L lenses are a very attractive proposition, where as the entry level Nikons seem better, so Nikon atm for me :)

Lol yeah maybe one day, the 5D and L lenses are mega pricey! I had a play with my friend's D800 the other day very briefly. Feels so damn good!! I will have a mess about with it properly another time :D

Lol yeah maybe one day, the 5D and L lenses are mega pricey! I had a play with my friend's D800 the other day very briefly. Feels so damn good!! I will have a mess about with it properly another time :D

Yeah I had a go of a 5DMkII w/70-200 F4, it showed me the much talked about almighty combo of a FF sensor and an L lens, amazing.

And the D800 is said to be something else, don’t fancy over 70 mb raw files though haha :eek:

Thinking of upgrading to one of these from my D40,good idea?
Oh and would it be best to get a body only or flog the 40 with it's kit lens?(currently have the 40mm micro and 55-300vr lenses.)

Keep the 55-300 it covers everything you need for a long zoom initially.

Yeah will be keeping that but unsure whether to keep the kit lens that came with the D40 or not;seem to remember reading somewhere that the lens is pretty good considering and would need a fair bit of cash to better it:thinking:

Yeah will be keeping that but unsure whether to keep the kit lens that came with the D40 or not;seem to remember reading somewhere that the lens is pretty good considering and would need a fair bit of cash to better it:thinking:

If your kit lens is the 18-70 then it is a very good lens and incredibly popular at the moment on ebay.

Just picked up a new Tamron 70-300 VC to replace my Nikon 55-200 VR.

Wow, it's a beast! But I think I'm going to enjoy using it if the first few pictures at 300mm are anything to go by!

Really? Curses. Oh well, I was expecting to get haggled!

Yep I let my d5000 go for 250 ages ago mate.They seem to go for about 2-250..oh and that was with 18-55mm!

Looks like the dealer will be getting the body then!

What is regarded as the next step up from the D5000? D7000 or more like D3100 or D3200?

What is regarded as the next step up from the D5000? D7000 or more like D3100 or D3200?

Depends what you're looking to achieve from your upgrade. The D5100 will give you more or less the same camera with a better sensor. A D90 will give you the same sensor in a better camera. The D300/s will give you the same sensor in an even better body. Think of the D7000 as a D90 with a better sensor so that is an upgrade on two fronts. After that, you're into full frame.

Not quite sure where the D3200 fits in. It's got a nice sensor for sure but if it's similar in features to the D3100 you might lose a few things. Haven't read up on the specs, so just speculating.

Personally, I went to a D300 and thought it was wonderful but you'd be disappointed with this move if you were after an IQ improvement.

Thinking of upgrading to one of these from my D40,good idea?
Oh and would it be best to get a body only or flog the 40 with it's kit lens?(currently have the 40mm micro and 55-300vr lenses.)

I'd keep the 40mm micro too! Had a play with it the other day and its a cracker of a lens! Useful focal length for street shooting with the benefits of the odd macro work which can be fun! :D

Just joined this forum today and I have a Nikon D5100. Just had it for a few months and I'm very happy with the camera. Still learning though!!

jim...

Welcome to the Nikon family Jim! Great choice of camera you won't be disappointed :D

On a side note, has anyone on here had any personal experience with the Meike battery grip? I did a quick search in the forums but couldn't find any first hand reviews with it

I didn't see this thread for the D5100 :) I remember looking for one ages ago and only finding D3100/7000 versions.

So. I bought one of these babies in March this year for my trip to India. Half way through that, some clumsy tourist knocked my Lowepro bag off a train bunk bed. One broken camera later.. I ended up buying a D3100 to use for the rest of my holiday (not keen on it). Back in the UK, I got my D5100 fixed. Now I have two DSLRs for my November trip :D

I bought a few accessories like tripod, a coulple of remotes, 5 battries, 6 memory cards but most of these remained unused.

My next buy will be a wide angle lens to keep on the D3100 whilst the D5100 has a Tamron 18-270mm attached to it.

Really wanting to buy the GPS stick on thing too as last trip I found it quite dificult to pinpoint exactly where I had taken many shots - should prove invaluable as I've started to upload stuff to Google Earth.

The missus has a d5100, stole it the other day when i couldnt charge my d90 battery.
First time i have given it a proper run and found it a good capable little camera.

Tried out my 50mm 1.8d and even found it manual focus quite good and easy to use.

As above i like to shoode wide angle, very front heavy with my 8-16 on and the grip did feel a bit small after being used to the d90.

I'd keep the 40mm micro too! Had a play with it the other day and its a cracker of a lens! Useful focal length for street shooting with the benefits of the odd macro work which can be fun! :D
Yeah,really like it,did think about getting the bigger Tamron macro but thought the 40 would suit me better for taking plant shots.

Trouble is I'm now looking at s/h Nikons further up the model chain like the 300/300s,so I'll have to keep the current glass anyway unless some extra cash suddenly arrives.

I've just bought the Nikon D5100 too.
I also bought two book on it too. The Nikon D5100 for Dummies and the Magic lantern guide ( This also comes with two DVDs)
I've used the camera a couple of times and I'm slowly getting to know it!(y)
This is my first DSLR, I've been using a point and shoot.

Last edited:
I've just bought the Nikon D5100 too.
I also bought two book on it too. The Nikon D5100 for Dummies and the Magic lantern guide ( This also comes with two DVDs)
I've used the camera a couple of times and I'm slowly getting to know it!(y)
This is my first DSLR, I've been using a point and shoot.

Congrats (y)
Look forward to seeing your pics - oh and welcome to TP

I love my d5100 i just don't know why Canon are still more popular there iso performance is about 5yrs behind the sony sensor found in the d5100/d7000.

A potentially daft question.... is it possible to post shot review what you have taken in the view finder?
I can do this on my G1 and found it rather annoying to look at the shot Ive just taken on the rear screen when using my brothers D80

dest said:
A potentially daft question.... is it possible to post shot review what you have taken in the view finder?
I can do this on my G1 and found it rather annoying to look at the shot Ive just taken on the rear screen when using my brothers D80

No, the d5100 has an optical viewfinder, not an EVF. No Nikon DSLR has an EVF for that matter.

well after many months of reading reviews, saving and putting off making the big jump im finally going to do it. it was a hard decision between this and the canon 600d but (from what ive ascertained) the 5100 has the slight edge albeit marginally with picture quality and coming in cheaper than the 600d its a no brainer! picking it up this weekend.

D5100 with 18-55 lens. Just ordered a 50mm 1.8G last month, i use this lens to take photo for my girl, if i need any other lens for landscape?

Hello Jason, your pictures are very nice. Great shot! I like your style!
D5100 is powerful for new. Good idear to bring it with the kit len into full play.

Finally joined the club... was a tough few weeks reading reviews watching videos and deliberating between various models, then with the rumour of the D5100 being discontinued and places having limited to no-stock took the plunge and bought one. Pick it up later today... cant wait!!!

Having spent two weeks carrying this around Japan in 35C heat and what feels like 100% humidity I can honestly say its a great piece of kit to carry and use. If your on the fence between this and a 3200 or something from. Canon don't even consider it, try and get hold of a D5100, the sensor as used in the D7000 is excellent and couple this with even just an entry level fast prime such as a 35/50mm 1.8 and it really starts to make even more sense :)

Back