Nikon D5xxx Owners Thread

Does anyone know if you can use a TC with a zoom lens or only a prime lens, eg. a 70-300mm with 2 x TC. I could use a TC with my SONY H50 but that wasn't a dslr.

Also another recommended book is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. There is a new 2010 edition out now.

Hi all, im looking forward to this thread to see how we all get on.

A useful link for new starters http://www.nikondigitutor.com/eng/d5000/index.shtml
(y) nice one will defo have to have a read of that :)
CSC_0267.JPG

Here is a photo of the moon as promised. Its not the greatest...afraid i cannot find the file with the rest of the images inside (new computer!) It was shot without a tripod using the D5000 and Nikon 70-300VR....shows you how good the VR system actually is!

Neil

f/11
1/60
ISO 200
300mm
Spot Metering

Wow, i better get practicing my basics lol very good, i cant wait to get some pennies or for "santa to turn up" (hint hint to anyone buying me prezzies lol)

Very good picture though.

I have just answered my own question regarding TC's and zoom lenses and the answer is no. So its time to save up some pennies and buy a Sigma 150-500mm sometime into the new year.

I have just answered my own question regarding TC's and zoom lenses and the answer is no. So its time to save up some pennies and buy a Sigma 150-500mm sometime into the new year.

Been doing some research of my own on this subject too.....
The Nikon TC's definitely DO NOT work but Kenko do a range of TC's that do.....
Was looking at a site last night that gave some good comparisons and the 70-300VR with TC actually looked pretty damn good to my eye...
will try to post a link for you whan i can find the site again.

Neil

EDIT: Found it!! http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/919290/0
There is another link on here which shows the photos

Last edited:
Cheers Neil, but have done naughties and put a Sigma 150-500mm on my credit card.

Just took a look at your link and the shots do look amazingly good.

Cheers Neil, but have done naughties and put a Sigma 150-500mm on my credit card.

Gah...lucky bugger!
I'd get shot by the girlfriend if i did that:bat:

Supposed to be a cracking bit of kit.

Hi peeps, which flash unit's are you using?.

Cheers folks.

Hi peeps, which flash unit's are you using?.
Cheers folks.

dont do lotsa people, kids or pets....but found the basic 400 unit was a great fill-in
used with an off-camera TTL cord from FITP [Graham] and a diffuser and bounced - it gave good coverage

I have the SB-900 (was lucky enough to be given it as a gift!) Have to be honest though, it doesn't really get a lot of use.

Neil

Once again don't use mine that often, mainly when i'm doing some macro work but I just grabbed a Jessops 360 from the bay for £30. Does me for the little that I use it.

I probably wont be using a flashgun that much, but the other day I needed some fill in flash as my subject was backlit and I used the cameras flash and at first it came out crap but once I reset the strength of the flash it didn't come out to bad but I could have done with it aimed off of the subject and not full on. I may have a look at a secondhand ones as you can pick up some great bargains.

I've just sold my bridge camera and should be ordering a D5000 very soon for my first DSLR, can't wait. Is the kit lens any good or would I be better off just buying the body with another lens? I've decided I'm getting the Nikon 55-200, I shouldn't need any more zoom than that. I will mainly be photographing the family, days out to zoo and car shows with some track action.

I'm also interested to know what bags you use with these cameras and which SD cards are good, class 4, 6 or 10?

Hi Pezza, When I bought mine I got 2 x Nikon lenses 18-55mm and the 55-200mm and not the Tamron's, I have also just ordered a Sigma 150-500mm zoom.

I have ordered my SDHC cards from Play.com, they must be class 6 for decent compatability and Play are selling their own brand 2 Pack x 8GB cards for £24.99.

As for bags I like the Lowepro range, but it comes down to personal choice. Why not look at their website or maybe Amazon and a few Photographic suppliers websites to give you an idea of prices as well.

Hello Pezza,

No, stick with the Nikon kit lens...its actually very very good, if a bit plasticky, but the IQ is excellent. Also the 55-200 is a good lens too, though if you can, I would highly recommend stretching for the 70-300VR...an amazing lens. The Tamron is ok but the Nikons are far superior IMHO.
I have an assortment of SDHC cards, a couple of 4GB and a couple of 8GB...what i would recommend is that you get Sandisk cards; they are generally thought of as the most reliable. Yes, they will cost you a little more but is worth it in the long run. I usually get mine from www.mymemory.co.uk
Class 10 are probably pointless on this camera as i believe it cant send the data that quickly anyway....class 6 will be absolutely fine.

As to bags, well as Martin says it very much a personal choice, mine happens to be a Kata 3N1-20 rucksack type and i am very happy with the quality of it...looks rather cool too! :D

Neil

Seeing as we are singing the praises of the D5000, perhaps you might like to see here:

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=249118

A recent London street session, my first go at 'street'.

I love the D5000 to bits, and matched with the Nikon SF-S 18-70mm f3.5-4.5, it really does do the 'walk about' for me, original used an 18-200VR . . . heavy glass! Tried the old 18-70mm lurking in the back of my cupboard out of desperation, not been off the camera for since!

For those interested this is an untouched copy from which the crop was taken for pic., #6, 'cloud machine'

1originaldome800DSC_0445copy.jpg

Great pic. As I posted on the other thread, the crop of the picture is mint.

I've had a few problems with noise whenever I take pictures with a whole blue background. ie. sky or sea. Is this the case with every camera or just with the D5000?

Lovely pic CJS...Piccadilly Circus if I'm not mistaken, top of Haymarket? EDIT: Duh!! Really should have looked at your link before replying!
Must agree with you the 18-70 suits the camera very well indeed; I got mine off ebay and like you it is my standard walkabout lens....great stuff for around £125 !

Lee...can you post up an example of what you mean? Can you remember what settings you had the camera on? Its not something that I can say I have noticed in any of my photos...and I took a lot of sea/sky recently in the Maldives on holiday earlier this year.

DSC_4070.JPG

DSC_4117.JPG

DSC_4498.JPG

Neil

Last edited:
hi all

i'm in the D5000 club too.. I love it, really wanted a D90 but am more than happy with the D5000 so will stick with it for now..

have the kit lens and a sigma 70-300mm atm, didnt get the OS version which I regret, get by with it though.. am waiting to get a 50mm f/1.4 lens, cant wait for that to arrive.. :)

Hi Pezza, When I bought mine I got 2 x Nikon lenses 18-55mm and the 55-200mm and not the Tamron's, I have also just ordered a Sigma 150-500mm zoom.

I have ordered my SDHC cards from Play.com, they must be class 6 for decent compatability and Play are selling their own brand 2 Pack x 8GB cards for £24.99.

As for bags I like the Lowepro range, but it comes down to personal choice. Why not look at their website or maybe Amazon and a few Photographic suppliers websites to give you an idea of prices as well.

Thanks, I will have a look at play.com to see what SDHC cards they do.

I've heard alot of people mention the Lowepro range, I've been looking at the slingshot or just the normal backpack. Also seen this on Amazon, which for the money looks a bargain? Link

Hello Pezza,

No, stick with the Nikon kit lens...its actually very very good, if a bit plasticky, but the IQ is excellent. Also the 55-200 is a good lens too, though if you can, I would highly recommend stretching for the 70-300VR...an amazing lens. The Tamron is ok but the Nikons are far superior IMHO.
I have an assortment of SDHC cards, a couple of 4GB and a couple of 8GB...what i would recommend is that you get Sandisk cards; they are generally thought of as the most reliable. Yes, they will cost you a little more but is worth it in the long run. I usually get mine from www.mymemory.co.uk
Class 10 are probably pointless on this camera as i believe it cant send the data that quickly anyway....class 6 will be absolutely fine.

As to bags, well as Martin says it very much a personal choice, mine happens to be a Kata 3N1-20 rucksack type and i am very happy with the quality of it...looks rather cool too! :D

Neil

Hi Neil, I will stick with the kit lens then, it's only about £30 so does seem a no brainer.

The Nikon 70-300 will be well out of my budget after buying the camera and other kit but I'll see how I get on with the 55-200.

I notice you are in Ruislip, I'm only down the road in Rickmansworth. Are there any places your way you like shooting? I've been down the lido a few times and that seems like a good place to practise? :)

Yes, I've been down the Lido a few times now....reasonable amount of wildlife especially water-birds and also quite good for landscapes if you pick the right time and day. Its just too busy at the moment...people everywhere! Is nice on a cold frosty morning, could get some great shots across the water with low sun??

Neil

Hi folks, what are most of you shooting in Standard, Neutral, Vivid etc.

Martin

Hi folks, what are most of you shooting in Standard, Neutral, Vivid etc.....Martin

have you read KR(c) "D5000 user guide"......."link"

there are links through to about 7 more set-up pages

Cheers John great link. It was just that I didn't know if the vivid setting would be too much colour as in you would need to wear sunglasses while viewing shots.

I dont know if you have tried this but I was reading in Bryan Peterson's book 'Understanding Exposure' and he always uses his WB set to cloudy as this gives his shots a nice warm look. Having seen the difference between Auto and cloudy I am going to take 2 shots 1 on Auto and 1 on cloudy and see how they come out.

Martin
something up from the D40
the D40 has a "mode" dial where the camera changes setting like f.stop, WB etc for you

although I've not used them yet - did you know
the D5000 has a sub-set of modes under the SCENE setting...?

Yes I was looking at those the other day. I am still finding menus within menus within menus.

At the moment I am giving manual mode a go and see how I get on with that.

At the moment I am giving manual mode a go and see how I get on with that.

is that the Nikon official D5000 manual

i bought D5000 by David Busch from Amazon - good clear read

I have just bought a d5000. Its a great camera, still trying to learn how to use it. What lenses do people suggest getting as a start to dslr photography. I have found a full list of compatible lenses on http://entryleveldslr.co.uk/lenses.php but but as they are expensive i dont know whatto buy first

Hi,

I have bought both my lenses second hand from ebay. You usually find that people who own decent cameras and lenses look after them very well so i wouldn't worry about buying used. The 18-70mm AF-S which matches the D5000 very well indeed can be had for around £125, less if you dont want the box. New, these are around the £250 mark......highly recommended 'walkabout' lens that is far more solidly built than the kit 18-55mm that come with the body. It has a metal mount instead of the plastic one that the kit lens has and it also has a rubber seal to help reduce dust ingress. To match this lens, I have the 70-300mmVR which is around the £300 mark on ebay; new they are £400. Again extremely well built and sharp as a needle IQ. The only other lens i am after will be a UWA, SIgma do a 10-20mm f/4.5; around £300 used.
As to you list, anything that has f/2.8 after it will be what is known as 'fast' glass....ie lets a lot of light in and you can take decent photos in dimmer conditions than you can with the f/4 etc....they will also be VERY expensive and are what professional photographers usually use...they are better made than the 'prosumer' or 'consumer' (not pro) lenses and are accordingly priced much higher.
The main thing you have to remember is that a decent lens tends to keep its value....you'll normally be able to sell it for close to what you bought it for.

Neil

Last edited:
Yes, I've been down the Lido a few times now....reasonable amount of wildlife especially water-birds and also quite good for landscapes if you pick the right time and day. Its just too busy at the moment...people everywhere! Is nice on a cold frosty morning, could get some great shots across the water with low sun??

Neil

Yeah it's been packed the last few times we've been but only go down there to visit the pub! I have to take a walk around and see what I can find to photograph. The Aquadrome in Ricky is also a good place to go with wildlife and the speed boats/water skiers when they're out.

Back to the camera, I would like to get a screen protector at the same time, what do you all use?

I just use one of the cheapo self-adhesive(static type with no sticky stuff) from ebay. Thats the beauty of this camera...you can just flip the screen round and keep it scratch free.

Not been to Aquadrome, but down by the canal at Harefield (by the Coy Carp Pub) is quite nice ....usually some nice colourful barges around and also a bit of wildlife...walk along the canal past the pub and there are some lock gates a bridge....seems nicer that way to me than the other way...only a sewage works!
Oh, also get some canoeists practising by the bridge too.
Neil

....Back to the camera, I would like to get a screen protector at the same time, what do you all use?

I am not using anything at the moment but take a look in the mobile phone shop and look at the screen protectors for the smart phones.

Another vote for the Nikon 18-70 (y) Take a look at thread #61 thats D5000/18-70

CJS

I am not using anything at the moment but take a look in the mobile phone shop and look at the screen protectors for the smart phones.

Good idea, just cut to size? :)

I have just bought a d5000. Its a great camera, still trying to learn how to use it. What lenses do people suggest getting as a start to dslr photography. I have found a full list of compatible lenses on http://entryleveldslr.co.uk/lenses.php but but as they are expensive i dont know whatto buy first

As for using your camera, take a look at the link in post no.65.

I have the 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses that came with my camera and have just got a Sigma 150-500mm so I am covered from 18mm to 500mm.

Here is a list of all nikon lenses and what they fit, it's an excel file and very useful to find if a lens will fit with your camera...

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19026/related/1/c/241/r_id/127673 (y)

Bought my D5000 about 3 months ago. Been a very handy tool since then with a lot of use coming out of the ol' gal.

Current kit: Nikon AF-S 18-105mm, Nikon AF-S 18-55mm, Nikon AF 50m, Tamron 70-300mm, Jessops 360AFD Flashgun, Lowerpro Flipside 300.

Back